What's new

Cold Start Rattle

Accords

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 CM2
Hi all, so after being away with work for a few days, jumped in my car and after starting it there was a brief rattle from the engine. Has anyone else had this on there k24 2.4 before? Regards Pete.

Yes I have, and it still happens now and again. I think it might be the oil pump.

More likely the chain not having adequate lubrication momentarily after a cold start, and tensioner filling with oil and taking up the slack.

F6HAD said:
More likely the chain not having adequate lubrication momentarily after a cold start, and tensioner filling with oil and taking up the slack.
I didn't know that. Might also be a weak oil pump causing this. Either way, is this something to be concerned about (it only started happening a few years ago) ?

Try switching to an oil that has better cold start properties.. If it's for a few seconds and only on cold startup and hasn't become worse then I wouldn't lose sleep over it mate

I've had brand new motorcycles that do this.

Leave them parked on the side stand and the oil runs from the pockets in the head and it rattles for a second on startup.
Park it on a paddock stand so it's level, and it never happens.

Do you park on a hill or on the flat?

It's parked either on the driveway or on a large patio round the back of my house. Both areas almost horizontal, and it's been parked both ways round and it does it randomly i.e. no correlation with temperature or the amount of time it's been standing.

First time it ever did the rattle was about 4 years ago when the oil level was at the minimum. There was a time when it was doing it quite a lot but not as much now. I use Castrol 0w30. The fact that it never used to do it and now does suggests a clogged oil-way or a problem with the pump, that may not require any attention but you never know.

Does it just do it when you forget its anniversary or birthday?

It's common.

As is a whining noise from the front passenger seat if you get too close to the car infront.

My favourite bond film!

we've got the sat NAV, I've seen car's (unintentionally) pull the oil slick trick, the ejector seat must only be a matter of time.

Accord coupe
T-top roof conversion
Couple of air bags

I have a plan.

Just need people to donate their mother-in-laws for testing.