What's new

cold weather reducing mpg ;-(

sipepguru

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th gen 2008
Ive not really noticed this in my old motors however the recent coldness seems to effected my mpg or could it just be me?

No matter what engine you have, colder air is more dense and has more Oxygen. More air means engine mixes more fuel with it to keep the ratios the same. Hence MPG down. Can be as much as 15% loss.

Im down from 35ish MPG to 30 at the mo, and its just due to winter.

Mine's down because I spend 5 mins scraping ice off the windows and lights in the morning, so it's sat running not going anywhere!

Mine's down because I spend 5 mins scraping ice off the windows and lights in the morning, so it's sat running not going anywhere!

Use luke warm tap water from a bottle, it takes seconds and you don't get numb hands :) it's what I've been doing all winter, anything in order to avoid getting up slightly earlier :lol:

Refuse to use water, too much risk.

I'm suffering a massive drop. I mean, it dropped a little with the install of my CAI. But now it's 1 degree outside on the way to work, the CAI is obviously sucking in proper cold air. I've only just past half way bang on 200 miles. Normally I'm on 240 at the half way mark. The half way mark on the 7th gen is not a true half way mark, but 240 at the half way mark for me would mean a tank of between 400 and 430miles. I foresee it being around the 350-375 mark at this rate.

i do city driving all the time, my last tank worked out at 19mpg ffs

but its below freezing every morning here all week.

what does 'too risky' with water mean... how risky can warm water on the window be..

occupational hazard..?!

Isn't it for fear of cracking the glass with sudden change in temperature from frozen to warm?

That's why I said lukewarm, I wouldn't fancy chucking a kettle over it :lol:

To be fair even the heat from the blowers can do damage - when we had the snow a few years ago, my dad put the fans on full heat to the screen of his Jeep Cherokee to try and melt the snow off... The whole windscreen shattered and dropped through, and the snow came in with it :lol: :lol: The problem was the screen was already chipped in places we think, which weakened the screen and allowed it to fail. My Jazz has a pristine screen so tbh I'm not that worried about it failing anytime soon :)

If the temp is freezing, then the water just freezes! Did that this morning, might as well not have bothered.

Risks such as windscreen cracking, water freezing in important parts like washer jet nozzles and window seals and damaging them, plus obviously the worst one which is water splashing all down my crotch and then freezing solid.

No matter what engine you have, colder air is more dense and has more Oxygen. More air means engine mixes more fuel with it to keep the ratios the same. Hence MPG down. Can be as much as 15% loss.

Im down from 35ish MPG to 30 at the mo, and its just due to winter.

I'm not to sure that is the cause Marcus. When someone (badly) installs a CAI mpg and power usually drop because they suck in warm air. Cold air improves engine efficiency, and so should increase mpg?? Who knows :).

Anyway here's an interesting link. http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm

I just sit in the car with the engine running and wait for the thing to warm up :lol:

I'm not to sure that is the cause Marcus. When someone (badly) installs a CAI mpg and power usually drop because they suck in warm air. Cold air improves engine efficiency, and so should increase mpg?? Who knows :).

No, Marcus is right. The colder, denser air is detected and more fuel is added as the engine will always look to maintain it's ECU-preset air/fuel ratios. But with the increased fuelling you get more power at a given load. Therefore, I'm burning a little more fuel every time I put my foot down. But the smoother, louder acceleration, with a teeny bit more pull than it had prior to the CAI is more than worth the small drop in MPG in my opinion. And for the record the CAI is not "badly" fitted and exactly where it needs to be to be sucking in nice cold air ;) .

A short ram intake on the other hand will most likely suck warm air in from the engine bay (unless it has many vents and/or cold air feeds) and the intake will suffer heat saturation from the engine. But in my experience, this didn't affect MPG. I had a short ram for a while and was still getting 430-440 a tank. But I've found with the CAI there is more urgency to the acceleration for the reasons mentioned above.

I'll say no more though as I don't want to take this off topic.

I've always found my mileage drop in cold weather. Wind, rain, colder air, electric heated seats on "Hi" :D . And is it me, or is traffic always worse in winter :unsure: . So I spend more time in traffic burning fuel but not moving much... It all adds up really doesn't it :rolleyes: .

Steve the colder air the better IMO more power lol

i use warm water aswell. does the trick. well im glad its not just me -

And risk cracking your windscreen??? I'd rather spend 5mins with the engine running so I can bring the car upto temperature....Anyway my little civic has leather seats and it take a few mins for the seat to get warm as they are ######### chilly to sit in on cold mornings - brrrr!

Anyway my little civic has leather seats and it take a few mins for the seat to get warm as they are ######### chilly to sit in on cold mornings - brrrr!

Amen to that man. The depths of winter make me miss fabric seats (until the heaters kick in that is - then I can't help but think that heated leather seats are simply the pinnacle of human civilisation :lol: ).

Those of us lucky enough to have the superior diesel-engined Accords are now running on Winter diesel... http://www.ukpia.com/files/pdf/ukpia-briefing-paper-diesel-fuel-winter-2010-.pdf

Maybe use of it results in lower MPG?

Been using lukewarm water for years. Never had any problems. Just make sure you get the wipers going quickly before the water turns to ice again.

My thoughts as well shinny