What's new

Committed Mortal Sin

mayo4sam

Members
Reaction score
Car
ACCORD ICTDI
So, in the masses of the pre christmas rush i pull into my local forecourt, fill up the car and head back to home. Car begins to judder. Get home and call the filling station, they confirm i put unleaded into the car. Call a garage, car towed away, tank emptied, new fuel filter. Car seems to be running alright. However, i have noticed that it seems to be slighlty underpowered now (maybe i'm being too paranoid) but it definietly feels like there is a power surge between 2000rpm and 3000rpm when driving, just like if the clutch was being pressed. i covered 1/4 mile with petrol in the car and apporx 300 miles since it was cleaned.
I wonder do i need to get the turbo and the EGR valve cleaned or has anyone had this terrible experience before and will it pass in time.
Appreciate all ideas.

It's probably not this but is your clutch slipping? How many KMs have you up on it?

My wife done this last year and drove it further, also took me longer to drain it, so petrol was in the system far longer than you and I've not noticed any ill effects. I know what you mean though, you start looking for odd things, thinking the worst. Power surge 2000 + rpm? that's your turbo working lol, also check your tyre pressures you'd be amazed how sluggish it makes the car feel.....HTH

My wife done this last year and drove it further, also took me longer to drain it, so petrol was in the system far longer than you and I've not noticed any ill effects. I know what you mean though, you start looking for odd things, thinking the worst. Power surge 2000 + rpm? that's your turbo working lol, also check your tyre pressures you'd be amazed how sluggish it makes the car feel.....HTH

I'd say he knows about the turbo :lol: ... he said "just like if the clutch was being pressed" so I presume he meant the engine speed goes up but the car speed doesn't. You're right about the tyre pressure, makes a big difference.

That's it alright Padraig, funnily enough one of my work mates just said to me that there was a whing from my turbo yesterday and to check the oil level. When we checked it, it was well above the max. mark. The car was serviced by the main dealers just before christmas, about 5 days before the mishap.
Would too much oil increase the oil pressure and effect the turbo in some way. I never really drive the car hard, but i have been for the last few days to see if there was residual affects. Maybe i'm just being overbearing. I'll contact the service department and see.

Overfilling your car with oil can be as bad as underfilling, the oil has simply no where to go.

You need to get some drained asap to give you a guide the distance between the min and max markers/dots represent 1 litre of oil. This will help you establish how much oil roughly you are over. But when you check make sure the engine is cold and on a level surface otherwise you will get a false reading.

Not another instance of a dealer over filling oil! Man there are some numpties in the Honda network.

It's slightly ironic because i had a 04 accord ictdi which suffered from the power loss syndrome when the car would lose power when changing gears at high revs and subsequently go into safe mode if one didn't ease back on the throttle where as this problem seems to be a misfiring jump in the revs. I contacted the service department to ask about the high oil level and they said that all cars burn some oil and no need to worry but bring it in if i was not happy.
I'll do that is i get another misfire - obviously not all information will be divulged.

I contacted the service department to ask about the high oil level and they said that all cars burn some oil and no need to worry but bring it in if i was not happy.

Oh my god, who do they have working in these service departments and have they no understanding of their own complex products. I think I'm going to have a heart attack one of these days reading some of this stuff. There are far too many instances of main dealers doing this sort of thing.