What's new

Coolant level and capacity

ally

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ivtec
Hoping someone can help. I had my clutch changed and have done about 100 miles since over the 2weeks.
As the cars in for a mot 1st thing tomorrow i did a quick check of the all the basics and noticed the coolant which has always sat perfect at the max level was just below or around min mark.
The car has been driving fine and heating fine but has got me concerned.
I have the honda type2 coolant lying in the garage unopened as i was planning on getting it flushed and filled at some point.

Any ideas why this could be happening? I cant see any obvious signs of a leak, dont think it would have been drained for the clutch install but im not sure.
Also anyone know how much coolant the 7th gen 2.0 petrol holds?
Now that im gonna have to use the unopened bottle to top up im wondering if il need another 5l bottle to do a flush.
Thanks

It's not unusual for he level to drop a tad after the motor has been worked on due to air pockets. If it was mine I would check the A/F ratio with a meter (cheep as chips) Top up with neat A/F if its low and water if it's OK. If it kept it's level after that I would wait for warmer weather to change it. :)

It's not unusual for coolant levels to drop slightly after a re-fill. Mechanics are always in a rush so they may not have taken their time getting all the air out. I would not worry about it unless it keeps happening.

Total volumes are different depending on whether the block was drained, but it's probably between 6 and 7 litres.

Thanks guys.
I just came home after a 6 mile drive and noticed its about an inch below the min line. I will top up in the morning before the mot to halfway between max and min line while its cold and see how it fairs on the level before and after driving for a while. Might ask the mot guy to have a look for any leaks.
I have some more questions now
1) if it has air pockets do i need to remove these, how would i do that or will it naturally get rid of them.
2) i know how to drain and refill the coolant, theres a step by step in the manual and it states the capacity is 4.5litres.
Should coolant be 'flushed'? When being changed. Im not quite sure how to implement this into the drain and refill process, any can advice on the do's and dont's would be appreciated.

The cooling system has a larger tolerance to incorrect levels than other engine systems. If the overflow is at 3/4 this does not mean that the system is only giving you 3/4 service... it's still cooling @ 100%, you just have a bit less spare coolant.

There is a vent screw to bleed air out of the motor, but the fact that your overflow tank level has dropped means that air pockets have basically been eliminated. Unless you are leaking somewhere.

There is no need to flush the system unless you are changing the type of coolant.

Thats great thanks. So this morning it was at the bottom of the reserve tank, looked emtpy but when i opened the reserve it had a good bit drip out the hose and you could just see it at the bottom. Have topped it up to just over the half mark, warmed it up and its risen close to max.

While waiting at the mot station sitting in the car i put the heating on again and theres a whirring/spinning/light clicking noise now coming from behind the glove box area when the heater is on. Wtf is that about, not had that before?

Weird. After the mot the noise dissapeared. Could have been a leaf. Im hoping it was a leaf after the mot result.
Mechanic never found any leaks and reckons there might have been some coolant drained during clutch change and not topped back up properly. Im not sure if i checked it back then so im hoping this is what happened and it stays fine now

A week on and the coolant level has not moved.
The fluttering noise returned while the heating was on a few days later. Went behind the glove box and took out the pollen/cabin filter. Couldnt see anything but used my phones camera with the torch on and found a crisp leaf tucked in the fan.
Sorted.
Make sure the fans off before u put ur hand in there. Common sense but worth mention

Good news. A few drops of water minus one autumn leaf equals one contented driver. :)