What's new

Coolant

crolandc

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
57 acc-2.2ictdi est
HI, have just been looking at coolant level and cannot see see it through the wall of the expansion tank! I can see it with the cap off and added a bit to see if it became visible but no luck, the tank is clean so I cannot figure why I cannot see it. The tank appears to be double walled so wondered if that is anything to do with it. Any body else find this a problem?

Sometimes...it depends on the light.

I find rocking the car a bit helps show the level.

Dip your finger into the expansion tank, if you can reach the coolant - there's enough in there.

Remove the expansion tank filler cap (engine cold!) and peer inside with a torch.

The max level is about 1/4" below the join-line where the black top of tank is welded to the white bottom of tank. If you can't see this join (but can see fluid) the level is over the max mark and the scale on the side won't work. If you can't see fluid it's totally empty :eek:

When you're not over-full and actually on the min-max scale you can easily see the level by rocking the car slightly as you look at the side of the tank.

Oh, hang on you're on an '07. The above definitely applies to a pre-facelift :blush:

You got it spot on Matt, looking from the top through the filler the coolant looked a long way down but was over in fact over filled :rolleyes. Thanks guys :)