What's new

Correct tyre size for our cars

rob141274

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-cdti sport
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find anything?

Anyway I had a tyre replaced on my car this morning and had the same tyre fitted as was on the car 225 45 17, we were discussing tyre pressures as I was saying I follow the guide shown on the drivers side door sticker (33 psi) but they still look low. He said he would check his guide and said the tyre pressure was right but the correct tyre for the car should be a 225 50 17.

You may have already known this? But thought I would share it. Does anyone know what effect it has on the car? He did say the ride would be better with the 50's on!

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find anything?

Anyway I had a tyre replaced on my car this morning and had the same tyre fitted as was on the car 225 45 17, we were discussing tyre pressures as I was saying I follow the guide shown on the drivers side door sticker (33 psi) but they still look low. He said he would check his guide and said the tyre pressure was right but the correct tyre for the car should be a 225 50 17.

You may have already known this? But thought I would share it. Does anyone know what effect it has on the car? He did say the ride would be better with the 50's on!
Rob 225/45/17 are the correct tyre mate.Going to a 50 will put your speedo out and also the PSI is correct 33

Mate the door sticker is correct. Honda did not spend millions developing the Accord only to balls up the door jamb stickers on release..

He's right, the ride will be better with 50's but it's the wrong size.

Neil is right, the sticker's don't lie.

Well that's what I thought?

But he showed me this big 2012 wall chart which is distributed to all tyre fitters that lists every manufacturers vehicle, rim size and correct tyre and it said for Honda Accord 03-08 225 50 17, 33psi.

Not sure what to do now as I have two more to replace next month and he told me to get the 50's?

Trust me mate, he's wrong. His chart can say what it wants, standard sizes for Accord and 8th gen Civic are:

ET 55
PCD 5 x 114.3
Centre bore 64.1mm

225/45/17
225/40/18
225/35/19

Agree with Fahad I went the other way by going down to a 40 profile as these were a lot cheaper.
The evidence was shown on the dyno by giving an incorrect reading because of a smaller radios

Well that's what I thought?

But he showed me this big 2012 wall chart which is distributed to all tyre fitters that lists every manufacturers vehicle, rim size and correct tyre and it said for Honda Accord 03-08 225 50 17, 33psi.

Not sure what to do now as I have two more to replace next month and he told me to get the 50's?

Ignore him.

Never take any advice from a tyre fitter as gospel.

I very recently went to get my wheels balanced at a tyre fitter and they proceeded to stick the wrong PSI in my 18's. Leaving them dangerously under inflated.

I know what your saying but it was more the printed chart than his word that baffled me????

Well Honda's printed charts 225/45/17 and my car came with 225/45/17 from factory. The 8th gen afaik is 225/50/17 ;)