What's new

Corrosion ? - buying tourer seen really bad surface rust on one

dionysius

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4EX tourer auto
Dear All,

I am currently looking tobuy a tourer, probably a 2004 or 2005 model.

Saw one today at a dealers (2004 year) which looked fantastic ontop, but had masses of corrosion onbonnet lock panel, underside of bonnet, inner wings, and generally all over engine bay surfaces.

When I looked underneath the car there were signs of surface corrosion starting on the floorpan, and there was loadsof custy deep rust on the rear underside around the spare-wheel well and suspensoon arms etc. looked very "crusty".

V5 showed it had come from Scotland, somewhere near Solway firth -so is is just the salty/wet environemnt this car had been in or do these suffer from rust ? The dealer suggested that rust wa a problem on the accord, but I havent seen any other cars to compare. Is this so ?

I am intending to buy the car to keep long-term, so dont want to buy a model that suffers from rust, so if it does then Id rather know now and rethinbk my car-choice.

Cheers

David

"Rust was a problem on the Accord"? Sounds like grade-a B.S. to me! My 2001 has spent most of it's life in a verge and equally salty Norfolk roads and that has next to no rust on it at all. Only place it has some surface rust is the roof because some previous fool placed their keys on it. Hell my P10 Primera I have now doesn't have anything like that level of corrosion and that thing is over 18 years old and spent all it's life up north too!

My advice would be to stay well clear of that car, it sounds like a bag of nails and I have no idea how on earth such a new car would get to that state. I've no idea how the hell it could be that level but I reckon' it must have spent it's life as a submarine or something because I don't think roads up there are salted 24/7, 365. Or perhaps worked as a mine cart for a salt mine.

I had no intention of buying it as soon as I saw the rust.

But they had a saloon 2003 parked next to it which I looked at underneath to compare it also had some underbody corrosion although not a s much...... so do the 7th Gen suffer rust..... your 2001 is presumably a 6th Gen so different model and UK built the 7th Gen is Jap built ? so possibly different paint/corrosion treatments/grades of steel ?

Never buy a scottish car , near the sea or not they get totally washed with salt their whole life due to the quantities they put on the roads . Even in summer up there you can se the white crystals form during the occasional dry day .

As is mine buy its only been to sweaty land once. It has enjoyed the clement climes of the south east it's whole life.

My 110K mile '05 tourer has a little surface rust underneath and is almost totally rust free elsewhere. Walk away. A better example will be along shortly...

No rust on mine.....tbh I would never buy a car that lived by the sea......

I have a 55 plate 2.4 Exec tourer and have treated minor rust on rear wheel arches, rear flange under bumper and front boot lid lip as you open it. David, if my 2.4 Tourer May interest you I can send some pics. Currently on Gumtree for sale.

dionysius said:
your 2001 is presumably a 6th Gen so different model and UK built the 7th Gen is Jap built ? so possibly different paint/corrosion treatments/grades of steel ?
Yes it's a 6th gen but really the manufacturing standards should be just as good, infact I think the 7's are a bit better to be honest. But taking in what others have said about their 7 gen's, i'd keep looking if you can do without a set of wheels for a little while. Better yet, open your options and look around England for a better example (again if you can).

My 55 plate tourer started life in Aberdeen. I had to treat one of the wheel arches to some kurust and a respray as it was starting to get a bit crusty and I think the other wheel arch could do with some tlc at some point. Hope fully that will keep the spread in abeyance for another 2 or 3 years but at least everywhere else looks pretty clean.

Was the engine nice and clean?? if so then a power wash has been at work knocking all the paint off. the under wheel arches are plastic so no rust there??

The plastic is just a cover and not the actual arch , rust can quite happily form itself up in behind there .

Hi David
I have a rust free tourer bought it as my insurance was about to be cancelled, and I needed a car with cruise control quick for a trip to Cornwall ( sciatica in right leg

Will be up for sale when I get back from holiday in a couple of weeks as a friend has a merc coupe for sale my wife wants.
It's a 53 plate executive 2.4 auto years mot tax till October
Premium stereo and sat nav
Everything works 98,000 mls 7 Honda stamps mint interior a few age related marks on body nothing bad.
Pm me if you want some pictures
Car in surrey £2400 Ovno
Darren

Hi

I am actually looking for a 2.4auto and I'm also in Surrey strangely enough.

Unfortnately I was hoping to p/ex my Subaru, and I'm just about to go on holiday tomorrow....

So if I was able to sell the Subaru privately first then I might be interested but its not going to happen in th enext week or so I'mm afraid now.

When Im in a position to buy I'll give you a message if youve still got it.

Cheers

David

No worries I'm in no rush to sell haven't got the v5 back yet
What subaru have you got I was looking for a legacy estate when I found the honda.