What's new

Corrosion

iar1980

Members
Reaction score
Car
56 Accord i-CTDi Ex
Hi

Need advice in the matter of corrosion beneath my vehicle. Had MOT test and past with flying colours except for the advisory warning of corrosion.

I need to know whether it will be covered under warranty.

My vehicle will be 6 years old around December of this year.

I have attached some pics below.

What do you guys think?

IMAG0670.jpg

IMAG0669.jpg

IMAG0668.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0666.jpg

sad.gif

Seems quite alot for the age of the car :huh:

Not unusal for 6 years old as depends on the cars mileage and usage over winter and whether it lives near the coast.

Hondas current chassis corrosion warranty is 10 years unlimited mileage to be free from functional failure caused by perforation due to corrosion for "specific components". You should check your service manual for whether 7th gens are the same.

Regardless would suggest some preventative maintenance such as the following;
- Clean and wire brush the rusty bits.
- Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 to convert the rust.
- Optionally paint, even with Hammerite, as well.
- Bilt Hamber Dynax-UB to seal and protect.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

Spoke To Honda Dealer in Wolverhampton, who have advised me to bring the vehicle in so they can inspect to see if it is part of the warranty claim for corrosion.

Will be contacting them again week commencing 20th August as their expert is on Holiday till then, so am willing to wait. Will keep you informed of the progress.

That's bad man i hope it is covered by warranty.

That seems rather bad in the fact it covers the entire surface, not just specific areas.

Update

Took my car to Brindley Honda Wolverhampton who checked the car over without charge, Their technician Bob and a few of his colleagues had a good look at it and confirmed it is a thin layer of rust and i should have nothing to worry about as it is normal for certain cars of this age and mileage to develop. he said if left the rust should begin to fall off or it can be brushed off if you wish. When the word corrosion was mentioned when i spoke to him before he checked the car he was surprised along with his colleagues that it should occur an an Accord.

Anyway thought the feedback is important as others may come across this.
smile.gif

Also the customer service and the advice was excellent for all concerned at Brindley Honda Wolverhampton.
smile.gif

Looks quite bad for the age of the car and its on the sills too.
I would be concerned that when the rust brushes off / falls off it will be taking a lot of your car with it.
I would heed the advice of your mot station instead of your Honda dealer who might be trying to avoid a warranty claim. By the time the rust falls off and leaves holes will it still be covered under warranty?

get it treated ASAP - when rust starts to take hold, before you know it you have holes in your car. my 30 year old BMW has less rust than your car does.