What's new

Crankshaft Oil Seal

AccordPower

Members
Reaction score
Car
fr-v
My FR-V I-ctdi has a very minor oil leak from what I believe is the crank shaft oil seal:
http://imgur.com/XC7LtQt
XC7LtQt.jpg

The oil seal is cheap as chips and I'm tempted to DIY it. What are your opinions on attaching a big breaker bar to the crank pulley bolt, resting the bar on the vehicle body and engaging the starter for a very short "click" to help break the bolt loose? This only works with clockwise crank rotation which I'm sure the i-ctdi is.

You mean like this guy (ignore the in your face screaming)? I love the notion of it and I'd give it a go... but that's me. How would you re-tighten without impact tools?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G-adEVjfWI

Yep, that's one of the videos I got inspiration from!

I think re-tightening with my torque wrench and breaker bar would be possible if i put something through the top cam pulley to keep it still.

Well I changed my seal. I took about 1 pic, sorry guys. ill post it later. Never used any of the tools above, just a big old breaker bar and the starter. The old seal was knackered.the seals have a metal spring that helps keeps tension. The spring on the old one was loose and floating about. Getting the oil seal out was very difficult, the rubber was very brittle.I tightened the bolt by putting the car in gear and jamming the break pedal with a stick, this worked very well. Do not attempt this if you don't have a long handle 14mm spanner, without this you cannot get the serpentine belt on and off and you'll probably my strip the nut.I've put some white cardboard under the car to check for oil drips, hope this sorts out my leak.

Well I still have a leak, can see drips on cardboard under car. Perhaps i never installed the seal properly?

When changing the crankshaft oil seal I was suspicious as i could not see any leak around the seal.

What I did notice was the black meal plate around the crank pulley is seeping oil. I noticed this soon after buying the car and ***umed crank seal was the root cause,what else could supply the black plate with oil??

back then I put some black gasket sealer round the edge of the plate.The bolts on this black plate have a special head and cannot be taken off easily. See pics in post below.

Anyone have any idea what this black plate is, what's behind it and why it has special bolt heads???Where is the oil coming from if not the crank oil seal??

this could require a visit to hh!

Could this be a leak from higher-up in the engine dribbling down to the crank area? Reason I ask is that I've done a few valve/rocker cover gaskets at this stage?