What's new

crankshaft pulley 2.2 cdti 2004

breezely

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 ctdi
Hi
just had my own cdti 2004 in with my local mechanic - who also owns a honda and i have the same clacking noise coming from the fanbelt / pulleys area , I originally thought it was the tensioner pulley as I had changed the fanbelt myself bout 6 months ago , all pulley wheels seemed to be running freely but the tensioner pulley did seem a bit stiff - not sure if thats the way it should feel as its an automatic tensioner ?? - anyway my local mechanic stripped down engine around pulleys today and he reckons that the tensioner is fine but problem I have with this clacking noise is actually the crankshaft pulley - he said its the actual rubber part in the pulley that goes in them - has anyone else have the same issue as this ?? ??

I was about to give you a list of links to discussions on this topic, but can find none?!?!

I'm certain this has come up before, and it's a surprisingly expensive fix, but the threads seem to have vanished. Either that or I've lost my mind.

Anyone?

The rubber does breakaway in the crank pulley but first rule out your alternator isn't the culprit

A lot of tensioner pulley have a little resistance and dont run freely

totally agree with you ryan , but I had seen on one of these forum chats that a few lads were changing the tensioner pulley when they have this clanking sound around the fanbelt area , but there is actually a spring inside the casing which would make it run stiffer than the other pulleys

I was about to give you a list of links to discussions on this topic, but can find none?!?!

I'm certain this has come up before, and it's a surprisingly expensive fix, but the threads seem to have vanished. Either that or I've lost my mind.

Anyone?
got price today from honda ireland of 400 euro (£320) for a crankshaft pulley but still not certain this will fix my problem ? , just for the record this my cdti was imported from UK , was hoping someone else has come across same problem :)

Anyone?
let me know if you find them threads Matt , cheers pal

Idler pulley when gone doesn't clank as such on these but make more a whine noise and they're fairly hard to turn. You should put the new belt on which removes the idler altogether

Idler pulley when gone doesn't clank as such on these but make more a whine noise and they're fairly hard to turn. You should put the new belt on which removes the idler altogether

put new belt on 6 months ago , there was a slight clanking noise then but it has got a lot worse now , think I will take a video clip of it running and will post it on , maybe that might give everyone a better idea :)

was it the shorter belt though, which routes differently and eliminates the idler.

DieselReroute.jpg

Also the clank your hearing is it constant or start occasionaly making it first, on cold starts, comes and goes etc?

The alternator noise is very distinct, normally starts making it on cold starts, clattering/screech type noise hard to explain but goes after a short while, gets worse until constantly on.

post a clip we'll have a listen, but I would imagine your mechanic would of diagnosed a worn alternator?

was it the shorter belt though, which routes differently and eliminates the idler.

DieselReroute.jpg

Also the clank your hearing is it constant or start occasionaly making it first, on cold starts, comes and goes etc?

The alternator noise is very distinct, normally starts making it on cold starts, clattering/screech type noise hard to explain but goes after a short while, gets worse until constantly on.

post a clip we'll have a listen, but I would imagine your mechanic would of diagnosed a worn alternator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5laEnw0XU0&feature=plcp

Hi Salem
i posted the link above myself on to youtube with sound coming from my engine , was looking at your diagram of pulleys and I reckon its the second diagram is the set up in my car , pretty sure its not the tensioner pulley , maybe the sound from above link might be able to help ??

DieselReroute.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5laEnw0XU0&feature=plcp
Hi Salem
i posted the link above myself on to youtube with sound coming from my engine , was looking at your diagram of pulleys and I reckon its the second diagram is the set up in my car , pretty sure its not the tensioner pulley , maybe the sound from above link might be able to help ??

Same issue here, long time trying to sort it out myself, but started to give up and will probably book an appointment for diagnostic @ Honda dealer this week. have replaced 2 smallest pulleys to new and genuine ones, definitely NOT a steering wheel pulley or alternator is @ fault... no difference makes A/C on or off... can it be the main pulley (crankshaft) ??? the noise seems to be comming from the bottom of engine..

To be honest it's Hard to tell from the clip, faintly sounds like the alternator clutch but not quite the same. Could possibly even be the chain, its hard to tell from the clip with the diesel clatter and discern where it's coming from.

when it started at first was it constant, or would it come and go?

I would get it looked at by a dealer, who will tell easily or if you trust your mechanic go with his diagnostic of the crank pulley.

To be honest it's Hard to tell from the clip, faintly sounds like the alternator clutch but not quite the same. Could possibly even be the chain, its hard to tell from the clip with the diesel clatter and discern where it's coming from.

when it started at first was it constant, or would it come and go?

I would get it looked at by a dealer, who will tell easily or if you trust your mechanic go with his diagnostic of the crank pulley.

but the chain not suppose to worn out so quick as its almost for a lifetime.. it actually started a year ago and it's constant, annoying sound.

Will go for a dealer at least they should know what they are doing, is Colliers Honda dealer any good ? as its in my area.

Rang to Honda dealer for a quote today, then they told me it's gonna cost over 100 quid + VAT cuz aux belt needs to be taken out before diagnostic.... thought f**k that and ordered a new auxiliary belt the shorter version one, get rid one of the pulleys, test rest of them if they are OK and then just hope for the best! In worst scenario after changing belt if that annoying noise still be there does it mean that ****** chain needs changing ? any ideas guys ? Only got 112K on the clock.

Not had a chance to listen to yours yet but my mechanic thought mine was failing too but the cost of £360 for a new pulley put me off a bit so I'm leaving it until it gets worse, I can't hear it from inside the car.
Try running the engine with the belt removed, if the noise remains it can only be that pulley or the chain.

Not had a chance to listen to yours yet but my mechanic thought mine was failing too but the cost of £360 for a new pulley put me off a bit so I'm leaving it until it gets worse, I can't hear it from inside the car.
Try running the engine with the belt removed, if the noise remains it can only be that pulley or the chain.

£360 for a new pulley??? that's a ridiciluous price, £450 for a new timming chain kit, have you quoted by honda dealer?
I have removed a belt and start the engine, the noise still were there, which means its something to do with the chain itself or one of the components inside engine apparently.

Rang to Honda dealer for a quote today, then they told me it's gonna cost over 100 quid + VAT cuz aux belt needs to be taken out before diagnostic.... thought f**k that and ordered a new auxiliary belt the shorter version one, get rid one of the pulleys, test rest of them if they are OK and then just hope for the best! In worst scenario after changing belt if that annoying noise still be there does it mean that ****** chain needs changing ? any ideas guys ? Only got 112K on the clock.

Is it this sound coming all the time,or sometimes stop?Couple month ago I has problem too.And Was alternator cluch.

That pulley is still attached and turning with the belt removed so it could be the pulley or the chain. Price was from the Lings website.
I have heard them when failing on other cars but only found one person that had it fail on the Honda diesel

Is it this sound coming all the time,or sometimes stop?Couple month ago I has problem too.And Was alternator cluch.

Aux belt was removed and only one pulley was spinning with the chain. Yes the sound is constant.

That pulley is still attached and turning with the belt removed so it could be the pulley or the chain. Price was from the Lings website.
I have heard them when failing on other cars but only found one person that had it fail on the Honda diesel

In my situation is non of pulleys and hopefully not a chain, but some of components related to chain.

Sorry for posting to old thread, but..

I had some knocking ish noise coming somewhere from the lower side of engine from time to time, but couldn't pinpoint it. Some days ago on an evening it suddenly went really bad and the rough knocking forced me to order a trailer. A quick inspection on the next day revealed a really wobbly crankshaft pulley.
So I went to Honda dealer yesterday and bought a new pulley for 300€ (~216£) along with a new drive belt. Hope to get it installed today/tomorrow so I can tell if it fixed some other anomalies as well.

The sound was quite similar to this one here, but constant and maybe a bit slower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y3BvLNW8-c

Edit: just got my ride back. Knocking is gone and whole engine sounds quieter. Additionally I had quite terrible engine vibration on idle periodically before, which is gone as well now!

Remove the drivers wheel, put your ear on the handle side of a long screwdriver with the other side on the centre of the crank pulley and listen.

I can confirm that knocking noise was coming from the crankshaft pulley. I've just replaced mine and the noise is gone. This is what it sounded like - the wobble is visible too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9KHGRdbGno

It was quite a straight forward job:

Used the crank the engine trick on the pulley nut ( with the wheel removed, used 19mm socket, breaker bar and short extension and blocked this against the ground - cranked the engine - and off it came!)

Removed power steering pump to remove belt (I had installed the shorter version already) - blocked pipes to avoid loss of oil.

Put everything back together.

It did not take longer than an hour.

hi guys. i have problem with wierd noise as well but i'm not sure if it is the same anymore. I've checked so many videos that i'm confused already. it is recorded from driver seat by the window as it was the best place to separate this sound from engine sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-fr0HHWg3Q
if some1 gonna say it is chain then it is not coz chain was changed 8-9k miles ago.
thanks !