What's new

Crankshaft Pulley

Dave_G

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Tourer EX CTDi
Has anyone changed the crank pulley on their Accord?
My engine has a rattle from that area, had the belt off and checked all pulleys and they all seem ok, but the noise is still there with the belt off.
Other than the chain that only leaves the Crank Pulley.
Mechanic thinks its the Crank Pulley but obviously can't confirm until its replaced.

So before I get it changed I was just wondering if anyone had changed theirs, and possible costs for a new pulley?

This might help Dave but it sounds like the chain as crankshaft pulleys are very rare to go wrong.
What year is your car?

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/7161-crankshaft-pulley-failure/

That's helpful though not the price of a new one! :ph34r:

When the aux belt was removed the noise is reduced a lot which points to something on the belt.
All the other pulleys feel ok and the noise appears to be in this area.
It's a 54 Plate on 120k so okay for a warranty claim on mileage, but not on age unfortunately
If we change it and the noise is still there then yes I will be looking at getting the chain done.

That's helpful though not the price of a new one! :ph34r:

When the aux belt was removed the noise is reduced a lot which points to something on the belt.
All the other pulleys feel ok and the noise appears to be in this area.
It's a 54 Plate on 120k so okay for a warranty claim on mileage, but not on age unfortunately
If we change it and the noise is still there then yes I will be looking at getting the chain done.
TBO Dave change the cheapest thing 1st and if your lucky then happy days.
But a 2004 does sound like the chain to me.
I no its a trek but i would pay a visit to HH to diagnose the noise before yo spend any money.

Problem is I'm at work all week and then taking it to France next weekend so would like it sorted before then.
My friend is a good mechanic with his own garage so that's where it will be going and I trust his work and also trust him to only do what needs doing, plus I get labour at mates rates.
He has been away this week so his brother has looked at it so far, but he did have a good listen to the engine with the belt off and a screwdriver or similar pressed against different parts of the engine. He said he could here the chain but it didn't sound overly noisy.
I've also got the longer alternator belt still fitted.

So I think the plan will be a shorter alternator belt, and crank pulley if I can get one at a sensible price.
Also going to be doing a service once all the bits turn up.
If the noise is still there then will get the chains done at the end of the week.

The only good thing out of this is that I bought the car at a very good price so I have a bit left over to sort these things out, and once done it should last the life of the car.
The annoying thing is from the drivers seat you can't hear it at all, it's only outside that it sounds like a bag of hammers.

If you got a good trusted guy to sort this out then that's good Dave.
Unfortunate noises are a process of elimination so good luck and keep us posted mate.
Dave if you can could you get a vid of the noise as this will help.

Yeah I'll take a vid of the noise.
To be honest it seems worse some times and then quiet again at others.
Quite random really, but I'd like it sorted for peace of mind as much as anything.

I had my aircon regassed and power steering fluid changed this week and it only cost me £45 :)

Well after seeing the price of a new crank pulley on the Lings website coming out at £359 I was really hoping that wasn't the problem.

Today all the service bits arrived from HH and oil from Lubetech so when I got in from work tonight I set too.
Oil drained, pollen filter changed, air filter changed, fuel filter changed, oil filter changed, and then filled up with nice fresh 0w30 oil.

The car did have proper Honda parts fitted previously and the last service was done by a BMW/Merc garage, but the pollen filter was filthy and the fuel filter was fitted with the feed and return pipes on the wrong connections so I am pleased I have done it all myself and know its right now.

The other good news is the car sounds much quieter too, so I am going to stop worrying about noises for a bit (I hope).
I think I will concentrate on getting a new shorter Aux belt fitted and maybe even the exhaust manifold welded if I can get it done before I go on holiday.
And I've ordered some new rear drop links, sun shades, and an SOT-47 so I can fit my Parrot and stream music from my phone hopefully.

It could be a few things, such as idler pulley, alternator clutch. crank pulley.
Worst case the chain, but if its not bad (as your mech said) and your out of warranty I wouldn't worry too much just keep on top of regular servicing with 0-30. The chain does get very loud before it lets go usually but how bad is subjective and its a risk you judge.

my recommendation: For total peace of mind take it to a recommended honda garage near you who has a master technician, and get them to look into all your concerns they know what to listen/check for and then you can get it done at your mates garage. They fast idle the engine and listen specifically for the chain amongst all the other diesel garble.

Hi
just had my own cdti 2004 in with my local mechanic - who also owns a honda and i have the same clacking noise coming from the fanbelt / pulleys area , I originally thought it was the tensioner pulley as I had changed the fanbelt myself bout 6 months ago , all pulley wheels seemed to be running freely but the tensioner pulley did seem a bit stiff - not sure if thats the way it should feel as its an automatic tensioner ?? - anyway my local mechanic stripped down engine around pulleys today and he reckons that the tensioner is fine but problem I have with this clacking noise is actually the crankshaft pulley - he said its the actual rubber part in the pulley that goes in them - has anyone else have the same issue as this ?? ??

ive replaced a couple of crankshaft pulleys on these accords. Your mechanic was right it is the rubber section of the pulley that disintergrates and causes the noise. However if its not the crank my next point of call would be the aux belt tensioner, ive also replace a few of these.

ive replaced a couple of crankshaft pulleys on these accords. Your mechanic was right it is the rubber section of the pulley that disintergrates and causes the noise. However if its not the crank my next point of call would be the aux belt tensioner, ive also replace a few of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5laEnw0XU0&feature=plcp

thanks for reply pal , ive posted a link up on youtube with the actual noise coming from the pulley area , maybe you might recognise it , also wondering if it could be my timing chain , how would i cancel that out ?

litle hard to tell, whip the aux belt off anf try it again. This will rule out the tensioner.

litle hard to tell, whip the aux belt off anf try it again. This will rule out the tensioner.

was talking to my mechanic this morning and i was asking if it could be the timing chain , he said probaly not as when he had the belt off the was little or no noise , does this mean i can rule out the tensioner at this stage??