What's new

Creaky front suspension

spicychicken

Members
Reaction score
Car
2000 Accord 1.8i
In the last few weeks, my car's front suspension has begun creaking. This happens when I push that corner of the corner up and down, but it also happens when I turn the steering. Sometimes it goes away for a bit and then comes back. Never done it before, had the car four years.

I took the wheel off and had a nose around - no signs of things rubbing, catching or chafing. All ball joint seals look tidy.

The only component which seems to move with the steering wheel or with the suspension seems to be the ball joints at top and bottom of the hub/knuckle. So i'm guessing one or other of the ball joints is getting aged. Does this sound like a decent diagnosis..? Of course with the weight off the suspension, it doesn't creak anymore, making tracking this down harder.

I'm pretty handy with my spanners & sockets: I reckon I could strip either the knuckle or the top suspension wishbone off the car and take it to my garage to have the ball joint pressed out and replaced (I don't have a press, always wanted on but never got one! Would be so useful). Does this sound reasonable or have I overlooked something tricky..?

Ta.

Did you check the ball joints on the anti roll bar drop links for movement?

These often go on the Accord after time and can cause creaking noises when they do.

i had the same noises from my car,it turned out to be a lower ball joint,so i had it replaced and the noise hasnt come back,does it do it when you turn the steering wheel,mine did squeak while turning the wheel and when you pressed down on the suspension.

Did you check the ball joints on the anti roll bar drop links for movement?

These often go on the Accord after time and can cause creaking noises when they do.

I didn't actually - once i've got rid of some of the snow i'll have a look.

i had the same noises from my car,it turned out to be a lower ball joint,so i had it replaced and the noise hasnt come back,does it do it when you turn the steering wheel,mine did squeak while turning the wheel and when you pressed down on the suspension.

Yep - creaky while turning the wheel and when pressing down on the suspension.

So I took the wheel off and tried the roll bar joints and they were just fine, no play, no squeak. Then I popped the steering ball joint out so I could move just the steering knuckle: still squeaked. Having checked the rubber ball joint cover (ok) and checked for play (none) I noticed that there was a fair amount of junk around the ball joint cover. So I cleaned the grit & stuff away, used a bit of WD40 to help clean up. No squeaking any more and it's been fine for several weeks.

So it looks like it was the ball joint cover moving against the steering knuckle which was making the noise. I'm not sure I really believe that was it, but it's been almost a month now. The MOT isn't far away so i'll ask that the joints are given a close check.

Hi Guys,

Wanna bump this one. My front Off Side has been creaking slightly when I get in and out of the car for some time now, going back to long before the lowering. Now however, it's all the time while driving. I take it I'm looking at ARB Drop Link, Ball joint or CV boot? Any other suggestions or pointers?

Thanks,

Steve

(edit) I realise this is the 6th gen section, but I imagine the 7th gen isn't too different in this respect? If it is, I'll happily start a new thread in the 7th gen section, whichever you think is best.

Inner tie rods

The bit that connects from the steering rack to the outer track rod ends.

That is a ball and socket joint, and will start as a creak, and then become full blown squeak.

If it does it while steering id put a strong guess on that, as i have exacty this issue currently, and have parts on the way for it as we speak!

It can also be upper or lower ball joints, but that can be eased from the diagnoses by simpley shake the wheel top and bottom, there will be a clunk clunk, if theres a ball joint issue.

Ok, total edit from previous post! It's not exclusively when steering. It's pretty much all the time and just pushing up and down on the front off-side causes a fairly loud and obvious squeak. Not just when turning. So I'm inclined to believe it's ball joints. Is it just the rubber bush, or the whole thing as there's a pretty major price difference between the two :unsure: ?

If it's the track rod ends though as you say, could you please point in the right direction on this LINGS page please? Only I don't quite get what you mean and I understand these things much better if I see an exploded diagram (with part prices ;) ).

Cheers dude.

Sorry Marcus, I kind of follow what you're saying, but I tend to understand these things a whole lot better once I see an exploded diagram. Could you please point to the right section on this LINGS page? Much appreciated.

:)

Oh, and on a separate note, I had my ARB bushes and compliance bushes done on the front a little while back. It's not directly linked with these parts is it? Thanks.

They call it ps gear box oddly for a section its under. and they call the parts end set links. its number 1 on the diagram. http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__3311&block_03=445

And for the ball joints its under section name front knuckle/upper arm, its the ball joints that go in at the top and bottom of the hub, numbers 5 and 6 for the top, and 4? for the bottom.

roll bar links, no, complience bushes is your lower wishbone i think, (so many names for the same thing) if so, not directly linked.

Haha! Like I said in the other post. You're really on form tonight. Even though I completely rewrote my post with an edit, you've still answered all my original and post edited questions with an above and beyond approach. Nice one dude. Cue a rep point ;) .

When you push up and down on the corner, you are in essence moving the ball joints, but also the angle of the steering arms, and thus the inner tie rod, or end set they call it will move too. Shake the wheel with your hands at the top of you tyre (get the car rocking) shouldnt be any play, if there is, youll feel it, and hear it.

Haha! Like I said in the other post. You're really on form tonight. Even though I completely rewrote my post with an edit, you've still answered all my original and post edited questions with an above and beyond approach. Nice one dude. Cue a rep point ;) .

No probs any time, thankyou B)

Shake the wheel with your hands at the top of you tyre (get the car rocking) shouldnt be any play, if there is, youll feel it, and hear it.

Should I jack it up for this, or should I be able to get a noise pushing it on the ground?

Should I jack it up for this, or should I be able to get a noise pushing it on the ground?

You will get a result on the ground, but to do it properly, in the air is best, grab top and bottom of the tyre and wiggle as if you were trying to pull the wheel off, but with enough force.

Cheers dude. Will do tomorrow and get back to you.

Got this problem on our ATR too but not looked into it yet, the creaking is awful. Never had balljoints on any other cars creak though, always more of a knock.

mine are creaking like a *******! been on/off like it for 6-7months... luckily i've just got my new inner and outter tie rod ends... soon to be fitted. other than that the cars blagged it 2/3years in a row with shagged arb bushes so when i get the chance i'll be doing new drop links and bushes whilst i'm at it :) should tighten up the handling nicely...

on that note does anyone know of any good ebay/uk links to polybushes for the front and rear arb's? only need the front's for the mo but yeah would be good to have a supplier...

You can check to see if its ball joints, jack the car in the air say on the fronr right for example, hold the tyre at 12 and 6 oclock position and wiggle firmly, if theres play or knocking then it will be them.

yeah mate that was the case with my ek civic but this doesn't have near enough play if much at all at the time we checked :\

we're replacing the inner and outter though just incase for piece of mind as i've got them now anyways so if not i'm hoping it's just the front arb bushes and droplinks which is a cheap fix thank god...

also my brakes are making a bit of a noise so probably chuck some new discs and pads on all round - annoying as it was a cheap car with low mileage and kinda wanna keep it cheap ha but i guess when you add it up it still works out cheaper than one of the same spec/miles that's sold for more as it were...

plus brakes and bushings are always gonna wear out regardless. positive thinking haha. cheers for your help though.