What's new

cruise control not working

JAPIMPORT

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 ACCORD SE
hi :) my cruise control doesnt seem to be working,when i turn the switch on it lights up,then when i set it at the speed i want the light on the instrument cluster comes on,but the car just reduces speed when i let of the accelerator and it doesnt activate anyonr any ideas what it could be

Is it the clutch pedal switch? If the CC thinks the clutch is pressed, it will tell you turn on the CC, but not set it.

Yeah I would check the switches, they could either need to be adjusted or replaced.

Find an empty straight road and build up some speed. With the CC turned on, put both your feet under the brake and clutch pedals and hold them up towards you, then press "SET" on the wheel.

Try that at least to see whether your CC is ok.

Thanks jay for yor help,how would I check the switch,should the switch not be touching the pedal,so when you press the pedal it hits the switch at the back of pedal and deactivates the cruise control would that be right, ill have a look at them and see can I see anything thanks again

thanks frenchy :) ill try that aswell, ive had a look at the switches and should the pedals switches both be right at he switch pressed in if that makes sense im not sure of the way its supposed to be,could anyone have a look at there switches just to see if theres much of a difference compared to mine,ill take a picture to compare

The switch should be fully closed when the clutch pedal is up. Only real way to check is to use a multimeter and check that the switch shorts correctly.

jayok said:
The switch should be fully closed when the clutch pedal is up. Only real way to check is to use a multimeter and check that the switch shorts correctly.
Thanks jay :) i have a multimeter at home,what do i need to do to check the switch any idea,ive also being looking on lings honda to see the clutch/brake switch parts in case i need to replace the switches,and the brake switch is labeled brake and cruise would that be the only switch that turns off cruise when its activated or does the clutch do it too

JAPIMPORT said:
Thanks jay :) i have a multimeter at home,what do i need to do to check the switch any idea,ive also being looking on lings honda to see the clutch/brake switch parts in case i need to replace the switches,and the brake switch is labeled brake and cruise would that be the only switch that turns off cruise when its activated or does the clutch do it too
Clutch does it as well mate. ;)

JAPIMPORT said:
Yep, as Frenchy says, you'll need to check both. The switch is actually dual operated so the car knows if there's a fault.

i.e.

When the clutch is up, A side of the switch is closed and the B is open giving %10 result
When the clutch is down, A side of the switch is open and the B side is closed giving %01 result

If both report open and/or closed then it's considered a fault by the ECU. So check the you're getting the correct open/close.

jayok said:
Yep, as Frenchy says, you'll need to check both. The switch is actually dual operated so the car knows if there's a fault.

i.e.

When the clutch is up, A side of the switch is closed and the B is open giving %10 result
When the clutch is down, A side of the switch is open and the B side is closed giving %01 result

If both report open and/or closed then it's considered a fault by the ECU. So check the you're getting the correct open/close.
Thanks jay :) ive got the information from the acccord service manual on how to check the switches, ill be doing that on the weekend thanks for your help

No problem - hope it works out for you! :)

I have the same I tried that "put my feet under the pedal and pull them". It worked! If I do that it switch on and working. So defo one of the switches!

just a quick update, i have not tested the switches yet, as i found out today my multimeter doesnt have the correct setting on it to do the continuity tests,so ill have to buy another one that does :(

Don't worry man. You can get very good multimeters for under £25. And once you've got it, you've got it for all sorts of jobs.

Mate try it. I've tried it with one pedal at time and it was the clutch pedal switch! :) but your topic helped a lot! Like!

Hi peter ive tried to pull back the pedals and nothing happened it still wasnt working,but I have noticed that the clutch pedal clicks when pressed,is that normal