What's new

Crunch.....Arrrgh!

S60

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 8 gen
A nice gentleman run in to the back of the Accord this morning. I stopped - He didn't.

initial thoughts are it will need a bumper and a parking sensor.

Any idea of costings of an EX GT saloon rear bumper and parking sensor? I agreed to get a quote before we go down the insurance route.

I can see how it benefits the other person to not involve insurers, but I don't see how it helps you. In any case you are obliged to tell your insurer anyway, even if not making a claim.

Have a look on the Ling's website for costs... http://www.lingshondaparts.com/ or call Holdcroft Honda for a TA discount cost (hopefully).

Sorry this has happened.

Sorry to hear of the bump

I've bought a rear bumper from USA and all fittings behind, main bumper and delivery was about £700, I think the outside skin was £300 ish

Should be a bit less than that for UK from HH

Boo! Car shunts are never good. I hope you manage to get it sorted without too much ball-ache.

Scott just go through your insurance it's safer mate.

^Ditto Brett's point man.

Bypassing insurers is for tiny things like nick in the paintwork of a neighbour's car. A full shunt could result in underlying issues, not instantly apparent. Insurance is there for this stuff man. Use it.

Also with rear shunts it can cause problems with chassis.
Also make sure you have your car fixed at a main Honda dealer as the 3rd party are in the wrong.

Also with rear shunts it can cause problems with chassis.
Also make sure you have your car fixed at a main Honda dealer as the 3rd party are in the wrong.

The Damage

Untitled by littlemonsterz, on Flickr

bumper £240.57 + vat £288.68
sensor £231.63 + vat £277.20

Looking like an insurance job.

get it done by insurance, thats what its for.

its an 8th gen accord, not a dirt bag. get it done properly.

If it was me I'd remove the bumper and take it to a repair centre for them to determine if just cosmetic of not then weigh up cost to do it myself or go through ins comp.

Just to show you can't always spot something, years ago I thought I could spot anything on a car.
Someone hit the rear of one of my visa gti's, I thought back light and bumper.
I took it to repair centre and it turned out to be outer bumper, inner bumper, rear panel pushed in which flexed both rear wings out which also broke the bodykit on both side. Both rear lights and also number plate holder oooooof

My 7th gen got hit in france a few months back, while sat at traffic lights a truck went down the side of me on my first day there.

My insurance wanted to go through an iffy garage I wasn't keen on so still went through ins comp but went for a classic car restorer to fix it as I know the quality of his work. Doing it this way I wasn't able to have a courtesy car but I'd rather have it done right.

Car now sold, new owner happy with the quality of the work carried out

As said if it looks possibly only minor take it to a garage first and see what they say, doesn't cost anything in money and only a bit of your time

I major ins all day long but make sure repairer is a reputable company and not a Mickey Mouse one that a lot of ins companies use these days to keep their costs down

If it was me I'd remove the bumper and take it to a repair centre for them to determine if just cosmetic of not then weigh up cost to do it myself or go through ins comp.

Just to show you can't always spot something, years ago I thought I could spot anything on a car.
Someone hit the rear of one of my visa gti's, I thought back light and bumper.
I took it to repair centre and it turned out to be outer bumper, inner bumper, rear panel pushed in which flexed both rear wings out which also broke the bodykit on both side. Both rear lights and also number plate holder oooooof

My 7th gen got hit in france a few months back, while sat at traffic lights a truck went down the side of me on my first day there.

My insurance wanted to go through an iffy garage I wasn't keen on so still went through ins comp but went for a classic car restorer to fix it as I know the quality of his work. Doing it this way I wasn't able to have a courtesy car but I'd rather have it done right.

Car now sold, new owner happy with the quality of the work carried out

As said if it looks possibly only minor take it to a garage first and see what they say, doesn't cost anything in money and only a bit of your time

I major ins all day long but make sure repairer is a reputable company and not a Mickey Mouse one that a lot of ins companies use these days to keep their costs down
Why would he do all this for someone else's benefit... what's in it for the OP?

if you like the car it may be worth doing it outside of insurance as long as you get it done were you want it done. You would be amazed what the insurers write off these days.

And besides not everyone is trying to pull a fast one give the guy the benefit of the doubt, notify your insurance but let them know you are going to attempt to resolve it outside of a claim first and then if it does go belly up you are still covered and you can press ahead with a claim.

Why would he do all this for someone else's benefit... what's in it for the OP?

Nothing is in it for him, He is just being decent. And you won't need to fill out the "declare any non fault accidents" bit on his next insurance quote.

Just a thought the 3rd party might not have insurance so be very mindful in your decision.
This always worries me when a 3rd party wants to settle things like this that there hiding something

Just a thought the 3rd party might not have insurance so be very mindful in your decision.
This always worries me when a 3rd party wants to settle things like this that there hiding something

All you need is the registration and you can find out instantly.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

All you need is the registration and you can find out instantly.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
Yep very true and a nice link there Neil

My black car went through ins company

I want the best job possible not a half baked job, I look after my cars. I knew the garage they wanted it to go to and there was no way I was taking it to get an iffy job and possibly none honda parts fitted.

It didn't cost me anything additional apart from not getting a car to run around in but I already had the tourer by then so no worries. Also a had the front end and bumper done to get rid of stone chips for the new owner also at my cost :)

I have seen a lot of cars over the years repaired without going through ins company, there is no way at all to trace it if the owner decides not to go through. That's if both parties do the same or hit and run.

Just bought a civic type r from main dealer and turns out that has been hit hard in the side and repaired badly. Never really thought of checking that closely at a dealer? Dealer has car to sort out in two weeks. Hopefully it'll come back in better shape than it's in now

Yep very true and a nice link there Neil

Update - the other driver is insured. Ive taken it to a Garage that ive used previously and been very happy with for a quote they will be using genuine new Honda parts. I should get the quote back from the garage today.

The guy that hit me ive checked out his details and they seem genuine however I wasn't able to contact him last night to get any further insurance details. He's got till lunchtime today to contact me failing that im calling my own insurance company to report it.

I have a witness who drove past the scene after it happened to verify it was a genuine claim.

All very good news

Glad it's getting sorted for you