What's new

Crunch in 3rd

marculos2

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.4
Hi,

I am looking at getting Accord 2.4 and have seen a lovely looking modified Type S which looks like it has been looked after. However this comment worries me and guess it could mean needs new sychro or clutch on its way out ? Appreciate your thoughts, many thanks.

"Under very hard gear changes at top revs it has a little crunch going into 3rd"

Worn synchromesh.

My diesel was really crunchy in 3rd when I got it.
Some good gearbox oil, and 8k miles later and it's no longer an issue.
In my case I'm ***uming it must've had the wrong spec oil, which was too slippery, and the worn syncro had no grip. I reckon it's taken a while to wear off whatever friction modifiers were left on the surface of the syncro. I reckon someone had previously thrown 10/40 or similar in it causing the problem when combined with the wear from lots of town and small roads.

What I would say in your case is, it won't obviously unwear itself, but get some Honda MTF in it, and it shouldn't get worse unless you drive it like Colin McRae.
Good opportunity to bid the seller in the nuts for it.

Thanks for that Good luck monkey. I guess its worth the risk if it doesn't go for too much. Its a little concerning though as it as owned by an enthusiast who has had a lot of work done and would of expected them to have used the correct spec oil. Guessit may have been thrashed too ! Thanks again, might go for a test drive to see how bad the crunch is ...

wondering if this is so ones old accord off this forum ?

[SIZE=medium]Near Full service history[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Honda enthusiast's it's entire life and cared for accordingly (no pun intended!) [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]2003 (03 reg), [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Saloon [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]89,000 miles, vv low for year, most of these now have 140,000 plus miles on them [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Manual 6 speed [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Petrol [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=medium]18in Civic FN2 Alloy Wheels professionally colour coded to the car, Metallic Paint in the best accord colour, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]HUGE Service history, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Injen Cold air intake, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Genuine Mugen Air defenders front and rear, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Dechromed window surrounds, grill etc, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Mugen front grill, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Professional window tinting done Oct 2015, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Stainless steel exhaust system,[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium] Reflashed ECU, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]suspension (-35mm), [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]2 Former Keepers, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Climate Control, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Air conditioning, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Cruise Control, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Computer (Driver Information System),[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium] Electric Windows (Front/Rear), [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Electric door mirrors, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Radio/CD, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Central locking, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Power steering, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Multi Function Steering Wheel,[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium] Alarm,[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium] Remote central locking, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Airbags, [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=medium]Half Black Leather Interior,[/SIZE]​

The k24 with a crunchy 3rd gear syncro is not good,is the clutch pedal heavy?or bite point on the floor?if so it needs a new clutch,but even then it might not fix the problem,my cl9 had the same problem,only fix was gear box strip down,needed a new syno but 3rd gear is fused to the main shaft,in the end i fitted ep3 gears

Cl9 clutches only last around 80k miles

New clutch £500

thanks for the info ukcl9, the guy reckons the clutch is fine, I haven't taken the car for a test drive so no idea if clutch is heavy. From what I have read on other forums guess eventually might be gearbox replacement needed which would be costly. The car has some nice mods and looks in great nick but the crunch does put me off !

You need to test drive,it should be feather lite,heavy and hard to change gear at high rpm is a good sign the clutch is on its way out,it will only get worse,to the point it will kill the 3rd gear synro,i talk from experience.

what is the reg number or owners name,as im the only chap in the uk that reflash's the k24,i normally keep a record of car's ive done.if you test drive it rev limit should be 7600rpm not 7100

Hope it helps

Seen this on ebay, nice accord, but would need to be cheap to cover the gearbox problem

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Would seem silly to buy a car with a fault your spending money b4 you have even brought it

ukcl9 said:
I think it was owned by a young lad from bristol.
that could be "Paul S" http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/user/9468-paul-s/ last active yesterday morning

ukcl9 said:
Depends how cheap it is to start with
also depends on whether it's a private sale or a "dealer", as there is no comeback whatsoever with a private sale.

Looks like it's a private sale ...item 291697671615 (although at the bottom, the ad does say "returns accepted", within 14 days)

Its not paul s car,
1 look where the car is located
2 i haven't reflashed paul s cl9.

If this is the car im thinking of,when he came to my house for a reflash it had been lowered on koni shocks and h&r springs, he to was saying that 3rd gear would crunch,we talked about fixing it.but i could be wrong as i cant find his reg and contact details he gave me.
There would be no come back at all,as he has listed the problem

ukcl9 said:
1 look where the car is located
I did, but after the car reg was given in #9, you said in #10 "I think it was owned by a young lad from bristol", and "Paul S" is from Bristol. So maybe you should be a bit more consistent

ukcl9 said:
If this is the car im thinking of,when he came to my house for a reflash it had been lowered on koni shocks and h&r springs, he to was saying that 3rd gear would crunch,we talked about fixing it.but i could be wrong as i cant find his reg and contact details he gave me.
so why did you say "I think it was owned by a young lad from bristol"

ukcl9 said:
There would be no come back at all,as he has listed the problem
with a private sale, it doesn't matter whether the problems are listed or not, "Caveat emptor" applies in law

However, it is interesting that this ad has a 14-day returns policy, so on that basis someone could drive it away and then take it back the next day without needing to give any reason for changing their mind.

So paul is a young lad from bristol,maybe,have i reflashed his car and its now forsale.no

I think it was owned by a young lad from bristol,but is now forsale by a trader,so its probably changed owners since i saw it,
Reason i said its from bristol is i believe i reflashed this car at my house,it had fn2 alloys and its the same colour,lowered,also 3rd gear /clutch problems,so more than likely is the same car

ah well, anyway, if I thought I could make a grand I'd buy it and sort it out, but I don't reckon there's enough margin

Thanks for all your help peeps, if I had the money to sort out the gearbox I might go for it, however I don't so still looking for an executive or type-s.

Hi to all, funny thing I win the auction of this car and after this found you guys. And I'm start to worry about this gearbox. So you think that needs to change gearbox at least and clutch maybe ? :/

Clutch might be fine,but 3rd gear syncro is damaged,so if you plan on fixing the syncro then you will want to change the clutch at the same time.as cl9 clutch last about 80-90k miles.you will spend easy £750 plus to repair syncro and replace clutch,

As the cl9 has stupidly long gears,you might has well buy ep3 gearbox and swap them into the cl9 housing.ep3 gearbox is around £300

I had the same problem with mine,but 3rd gear cog was damaged to,so i used ep3 gears

Ep3 gearbox was £300
Clutch was £200
Labour was £600 iirc

Thank you ukcl9 for your answer. I think need to check how cl9 is first, mainly want to change from ep2 to cl9 because it will be better on long journey's I expect.

So longer gear that could be advantage but we will see.

Ep3 gearbox is easiest to find and probably cheaper that's other hand. But is not gonna be straight fit like you said? I will be need to swap into the cl9 housing so it's not easy as a pie :/

How much is for cl9 ?typical market price of good example.

Seller stands that it's happens only on high rev and pedal is fine.

I don't need to pay for labour that's good thing just parts.
If it will be necessary I can do this with my dad who is mechanic :)

Cheers guys will be in touch with forum.

To keep it simple.use the ep3 gears,mainshaft and replace the ep3 6th gear with the cl9 6th
So you will have ep3 1-5 cl9 6th.this will increase acceleration and keep low revs and motorway speeds.
If it was me i would use ep3 final drive 4.76

There is a nice rare facelift cl9 for £2700 on ebay

The seller could class 4000 rpm is high rev

thanks ukcl9

that's help me a lot, yes need to ask seller on what revs is this "little crunch"

this from Birmingham 06 plate and curbed alloys ?

don't think so its Paul S car, done some research and his is 04 plate I think :p