What's new

CTDi Exec 04 120k

Underclassy

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord CTDI
Hi all, been trawling the forums for a while for invaluable information, for which many thanks and which culminated in me buying an 04 CTDi 2.2 Exec. It's a great car, best I've ever had and now it's serviced and tracked it runs even better, though a few questions have surfaced which i can't find the answers to.
First, the NS foglight was smashed but i managed to buy the complete replacement off a scrappie at the weekend for 30 quid. Hurrah! However, the Executive seems to have a unique round foglight so I can't find a guide - is it a bumper off job?
Second, took the car to Coulsden ATS last week to be tracked, as had some stepping in on the rear OS tyre. They corrected what they could but the rear wheels were cambered 1.5 degrees out and it appears there's no camber adjustment on this model. They suggested worn bushes were the cause and I'll have to get used to wearing the tires out from the inside out (amazingly the rear OS has done 117kmiles!) Anything I can do about this?
Third, engine runs very smoothly but there's a slight high-pitched 'chirruping' to be heard. Do i suspect the timing chain/tappits or is this acceptable/normal on this model?
Fourth, I've read a load of stuff about chipping. I'm quite happy with the performance of the car but wonder if i'd have a worthwhile increase in efficiency if I let a tuner have a go. At the moment it gets pretty good mpg of around 40 with a mix of motorway and city driving - great for the size of car - used to have an is200 which needed filling up every ten minutes.
Apologies for the tsunami of questions. I just love the car already and want it to be as good as it can be.
Any help with this much appreciated!

Hi Paul and welcome.

The fog light is indeed a bumper off job as there are fixing screws at the back.
The rear camber is a known issue and your right that with current set-up it cannot be adjusted. However you can buy adjustable arms which can be fitted.
In terms of your engine noise is could be several things, alternator bearing failing is also something to consider. The chain can be expensive to repair and unfortunately your car has fallen out of the extended warranty period.
Things you can do to prevent damage to the chain is ensure you only use 0w-30 oil and also try and change it every 8k, some members even do it at 7k.

Hi Paul
I too had a broken fog light when I had my 04 CTDI. Like you I got another one from a scrappie. If yours like mine came with the bracket that it attaches too as part of the deal, then it is not a bumper off job at all. All you need to do is undue the small phillips head screw on the front of the black plastic surround. Mine was rusted in, so had to get a screw removal kit called GraBit. With that and an electric drill that spins both directions, out came the screw. Then unhook the plastic surround. From what I remember, there are then 3 screws that hold the foglight in. I think one of them was for adjusting the angle of the fog light. Replacement fog light and bracket screwed in, job done. Had to use the same screw that holds the plastic surround again, just hacksawed a groove in the top so that a cross head screwdriver would tighten it up again. Put plenty of copper grease on screw in case in ever needed to come out in the future. Sold the car now though, but it might be an easier job for the next owner if it smashes again.

If yours like mine came with the bracket that it attaches too as part of the deal, then it is not a bumper off job at all. All you need to do is undue the small phillips head screw on the front of the black plastic surround. Mine was rusted in, so had to get a screw removal kit called GraBit.

Many thanks for this - i have got the bracket and the plastic surround - which I had to drill off because the screw was rusted in. Only the lens is broken so was considering keeping the original and just swapping out the broken bit but now I can't get the lens off so probably easier just to replace the whole light. Bumper's got a few scuffs so i'm reluctant to take it off in case it doesn't want to sit back properly. Thanks for the grabit tip too, I may well need it judging by the corrosion on most of the exposed screws. That's my job for tomorrow sorted!

Hi Paul and welcome.

The fog light is indeed a bumper off job as there are fixing screws at the back.
The rear camber is a known issue and your right that with current set-up it cannot be adjusted. However you can buy adjustable arms which can be fitted.
In terms of your engine noise is could be several things, alternator bearing failing is also something to consider. The chain can be expensive to repair and unfortunately your car has fallen out of the extended warranty period.
Things you can do to prevent damage to the chain is ensure you only use 0w-30 oil and also try and change it every 8k, some members even do it at 7k.

Thanks Shabz - mine looks identical to yours, though the v5 calls gunmetal grey 'silver' for some reason. The ATS guys didn't seem to worried about the camber and suggested I live with it. New arms sounds like a major expense for little gain so ill see how it goes.
When did the warranty expire for the chain? - I thought all that would be long gone. Actually done just under 115k if it makes a difference. I do have full service history and the changes have been made even more regularly than required so I know that up to now it's been well looked after so ill observe the intervals as you suggest. Battery only at 75% so I wonder if the alternator is ailing, though the sound doesn't seem to emanate from there.
Cheers for the advice!

Welcome to TA Paul have a good look around the forum as there is lots of good info hear.

Welcome along Paul,

Congrats on the purchase.

Maybe if you can record the sound and post up on the forum, that way someone may have heard it before and possibly put your mind at rest

Hi Paul, welcome along!

The 'chirupping' noise may be something driven by the external serpentine drive belt. Gently spray small amounts of WD40 on different areas to see if this causes a temporary fix - at least you might find out which pump/tensioner/alternator contact point or bearing is maybe making a noise.

You mentioned an interest in tuning - one of the forum co-founders (F6had/Fahad) does this for his day job. These recent threads might be interesting...
http://typeaccord.co...stage-1-re-map/
http://typeaccord.co...ou-waiting-for/
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10909-oh-boy-it-drove-quick/

Jon

Already plenty of sound advice given on the foglight and noise questions.

Regarding the tuning (thanks Jon), mileage is sometimes almost irrelevant, the health of the car is most important. I provide a complete diagnostic, including health check and functional tests of engine components before tuning. Drop me a line if interested.

Already plenty of sound advice given on the foglight and noise questions.

Regarding the tuning (thanks Jon), mileage is sometimes almost irrelevant, the health of the car is most important. I provide a complete diagnostic, including health check and functional tests of engine components before tuning. Drop me a line if interested.

Thanks to all, I now have a functioning pair of foglights installed.