What's new

CTDi sudden loss of power on motorway

alloy36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
Hi all,

My car has recently started loosing power all of a sudden. I was on the motorway yesterday and and lost power, it went from 70 to 60 and when I put my foot down it continued to drop!!! I put the hazards on and managed to get off at the next junction by which time I was almost down to 30.

Strangely, when I stopped I took the key out and started the car again and all was fine, drove fine for the rest of the journey. It did this once before a couple of weeks ago and was having trouble starting again but I finally managed it.

I took it in to the garage near work yesterday. They did the diagnostics but no fault code came up. They checked everything over and said all seems fine. The dash didn't display any warning lights. I asked them to clean the MAF and EGR anyway as I thought it may be related to that.

Searches on TA and google have found that a few other people have had similar experiences but I couldn't find the final conclusion to what the cause was. Does anyone have similar experiences or know?

Fuel filter was changed for a genuine item not long ago, I don't think its that as I don't get any issues when I floor it. It is just this intermittent complete power loss which resets itself after stopping and restarting.

Thanks

It's very hard to actually know without a fault code. It could be the EGR valve (cleaning doesn't necessarily fix all problems with it), or the EGR actuator (pre-facelift and facelift models have very different EGR valves).

It could be the fuel pressure regulator (low fuel pressure doesn't immediately generate a fault code... it has to be an extended problem before it registers).

Did the garage simply try to read the ECU diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) or did they connect a more interactive diagnostic system, like a Snap-On or HDS?

I think they simply tried to read the DTCs. I doubt they would have a HDS.

I would have thought low fuel pressure would be more of a problem on hard accelaration rather than drivingon the motorway at constant speed.

I've also noticed a recent drop in mpg on my car its been down to 430miles on a tank from 500.

The first time it happened, I was having trouble restarting the car. This time it was fine. I suspected the EGR is stuck open resulting in wrong air to fuel ratio?

I do mainly motorway journeys to work and back. I asked the garage and they said they cleaned the EGR and it wasn't that bad.

Book it in with me for a diagnostic session bro.

Or do a remap when you meet fahad,my car had sorted with his EGR valve deletetion, but you need to blank the EGR valve, and the car will run crazily amazing! I'm sure your problem is most likely to be a faulty EGR valve, and I don't think it's worth to replace as I bought one from honda new cost £600+ but only work 20k mikes! Good luck

No point guessing, could be anything really but thanks for the recommendation ray ;)