What's new

Cutting out under acceleration

duub

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I've got my first Honda, a 2004 2.2 CTDi Sport. Its done 114000 miles but has been well maintained and serviced with 1 owner. It drives very nicely with sharp handling for the size, pulls strongly and still gives good mpg.

However there are a few issues I want to sort asap.

The main one is that occasionally (3 times in ~800 miles) under heavy acceleration the engine will cut out until I change gear, then may happen again before settling down. The only way to describe it is when redlining a petrol, except its happening around 2.5-4k.

It has happened twice in 2nd and once in 3rd, each time I was accelerating hard but the car was warmed up and had been driving fine before and after.

So I am wondered what might be the cause - clutch slip? turbo failing? fuel injectors blocked? I have a warranty on the car but want to investigate as much as I can myself before taking it into a garage who may well find nothing.

Another potential problem is sometimes the steering feels a bit jerky, pulling very subtlety to the opposite way I've turning on a bend or turn, at low to moderate speed. It feels artificial rather than direct from the wheels, perhaps like the power steering turning off or over-correcting for a split second.

The last issue is a hissing from the rear n/s suspension when going over bumps even at a crawl, I would ***ume this is just normal suspension noise but is it something to watch out for in the accord?

Many thanks for any comments or suggestions on the above.

Hi Chris,
I am fairly new here myself and own a diesel tourer, I had power loss issues shortly after a service, it transpired it was a cheap after market fuel filter which was causing the problems, I replaced it with a genuine Bosch fuel filter from Honda, following advice on the forum, it has been running sweet since. Investigate, when was the last service completed and who it was completed by and if they used genuine parts or after market parts. When I lift my bonnet up i can see the Bosch Branding on the fuel filter, you maybe able to spot it on yours.

Fuel filter or sticking egr valve

f2raf said:
Hi Chris,
I am fairly new here myself and own a diesel tourer, I had power loss issues shortly after a service, it transpired it was a cheap after market fuel filter which was causing the problems, I replaced it with a genuine Bosch fuel filter from Honda, following advice on the forum, it has been running sweet since. Investigate, when was the last service completed and who it was completed by and if they used genuine parts or after market parts. When I lift my bonnet up i can see the Bosch Branding on the fuel filter, you maybe able to spot it on yours.
Funnily enough it was just serviced before I got it, I imagine the same thing happened. I will check under the bonnet in the light and get a Bosch one ordered if I can't see it - many thanks.

F6HAD said:
Fuel filter or sticking egr valve

Thanks, had wondered if it was that after reading your servicing guide. (Will also come and see you for a remap if I ever need to replace my clutch...)

Book it in for a diagnostic session with me