What's new

Dash bulbs upgraded

simovtec

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
well after deciding that the accord dash bulbs were next to rubbish i decided to change them to LED'S...

had a wee look on here and someone had already posted regarding it... but they posted the wrong size of bulbs which are too big and wont fit into the board..

THE BULBS REQUIRED ARE 286'S!!!!!

Started with removing the plastic dash.. them simply 4 screws and pull the clocks out.. you them remove the 3 plugs from the top of the clocks so it can fully be removed..

Flip it over and you can see the bulb holders.. you just turn them till they release..

NOTE!!! you want to keep the old holders for the new bulbs to go into... simply just remove the old bulbs and chuck them as there useless...

fit new bulbs into holders and re fit..

I went futher and split the clocks... removed the clear plastic that is covering the dials.. and also them removed the black plastic part (both just clip off)

then i removed the needles... use a knife and get under it... be careful but put some force into a bit and it will slowly pop off..

do this for each off them and sit them to the side..

then remove the white/black dials.. dont worry they stick back on... turn over.. and scratch away with a screwdriver behind each number.. and also behind the petrol lines and temp lines and sympols..

refit... and put needles back on and refit the cover etc and plug it back in and job is a good one,..

(remember to check the bulbs work before screwing in etc.. if they dont.. then just remove and turn the holder 180 degrees and pop it back in and itll work)

Pics of my finished clocks..

http://

Good job man, looks good in blue, kinda like the ones that had on the mk4 golfs.

where did you buy your bulbs from?

perhaps this should be moved to diy section if a mod comes across this.

Looks good at night mate.. Standard bulbs were guff lol just goty make sure you get the needles in the correct place... What a done to set the speedo was use a speedometer on my phone and sat at 30 then popped that needle back on at 30.. Then used a road sign that tells you your speed to confirm i was doing 30 or just below it.. Done that and was correct.. Went through at 40 and 60 and both showed correct speed on the sign and on the speedometer on phone... For temp.. You should know where that needle sat when warm so take the car a run and get it warm them pop it on where it usually sat... For the fuel.. I filled my tank then poppes the fuel petrol on so it was at full... Rev counter notice where it normal sat when you started it.. Pop it back on when engine running to where it sat then take it a run and vtec should kick in at the number 4.. When popping the needles back on dont push to tight and make sure when driving along they move freely like before on the dials..

Got the bulbs from ebay.. 2.85 for 10 of them.. Ill post link later..

Ps. You dont needy take the needles of to remove the dials off to scratch away behind the numbers.. You can just switch the bulbs over and see if your happy enough with that..

skhell said:
Sorry my ignorance, but what do you mean or what is the purpose of:
The dials that are white or black are only bits of thick paper with a coating on the back.. So this stops some of the light coming through.. So if you scratch away the coatig behind the numbers etc itll let more light pass through so make the numbers more brighter to see..