What's new

Dead A/C compressor.

smokingman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2008/9
Morning all.
On the hottest day of the year my a/c compressor died. Everywhere I look they are out of stock using the Honda part number 38810-RL0-G01

The a/c guy said its probably the clutch as the compressor will not activate even when full of new gas.

Any help or advise appropriated

Would this do:

Give it a few light taps with a stick or small hammer whilst someone turns it on and off

A faulty pressure sensor would also cause this. It’s a cheaper and easier thing to try first but you will need to have it regassed as it will all escape when you remove the switch.

Thanks guys for the reply's.

All fuse's checked (2x engine bay fuse panel, 1x fuse panel in car) along with relay in engine fuse panel, the A/C guy had a test set that could activate the compressor remotely thereby bypassing fuses/relay and pressure switch.

I would like to test the switch before I look for a new compressor, where is it located? probably cant test as no gas in system now. A/C guy removed all gas anyway after diags.

If you remove bumper you'll see on drivers side ac pipes going into a metal block infront and above washer bottle. This is a magnet valve and you'll see the pressure switch mounted on the side of it.
Get an Honda part as aftermarket is hit or miss. Just need to remove wiring plug and get a spanner on the switch and replace then get your ac guy to regas.
This solve my ac not activating last year.
80450-S7S-003 is the part no. mine needed for my 09 tourer 2.2 i-dtec EX.
Was around 75 bucks for the switch from Honda

Hi, I have similar, it has been in to kwikfit (as regas is free if not cooler) anyway, they have said clutch clicks in but, apologies for my lack of understanding, I believe there is a high and low pressure side but when the clutch clicks in nothing changes. Does this sound right? Could this be the pressure switch? I'm currently empty of gas so so can I test the switch? Could someone point me to a flow chart of correct operation and what to check next. TIA.

@Morrispd
The A/C guy checked system as some gas let in. He then proceeded to re-gas, on testing system nothing happened no activation of clutch. Checked all fuses and A/C relay all OK. He then connected the compressor to the battery via his test probe and nothing happened. This suggested that the A/C clutch had failed.