What's new

Diagnosing horrible whining noise

JakeWhite

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 Vtec '99
Hi all,
So within the last week my 1999 accord 2.0 (manual) has progressively developed a horrible whining noise. At first it was hardly noticeable and would go away when above approx 30mph. But now it's much louder and although it gets quieter at higher speeds, it's still there. There doesn't appear to be a fluid leak, the fluid is just below the MAX mark and the noise is loudest when going slow speeds or turning at slow speeds. Which to me would point to the power steering pump? If that is correct, is changing the pump a straight forward job? i.e unbolt faulty one and fit new one? Any advice appreciated.

Yeah, it could be the power steering pump.
It's a simple job. Just remove the old one and install the new one. You might as well replace the PS fluid as well as replace the PS belt, since you are with the hands on it.

Yeah, it could be the power steering pump.
It's a simple job. Just remove the old one and install the new one. You might as well replace the PS fluid as well as replace the PS belt, since you are with the hands on it.

Yeah if it's the pump I'll do that anyway. Is it worth taking it to a garage to double check or can we pretty much safely say it's the pump in this case? Oh and where can I get a new pump from? I'm having difficulty finding one anywhere. There are plenty used ones on eBay but I don't want to swap a duff one for a duff if that makes sense?

You can always remove the PS belt to see if the noise goes away. If it does goes away you found your problem, if not, you know the problem is not the PS.

I don't know where to get one, but I guess it must be hard to find a new one, unless you go to Honda, which must be pretty expensive...
I guess your best shot should be a breakers yard or even ebay, make sure you get some kind of warranty. Another alternative it find a shop which rebuilds PS pumps.

Also, have you considered that it could be just noise from the PS belt? It could be worn.

After googling a bit on the topic, it's possible to rebuild the PS pump. It seems that most of the times is the bearing and seals that dies.
Here's a topic on how to do the job:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2388562

Honda seems to sell all the parts that could fail:
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S1A11&block_02=E__1901&block_03=2255

If you feel confident to do the job, it could be a good and not very expensive alternative.

If you feel confident to do the job, it could be a good and not very expensive alternative.

FWIW, I've stripped out and re-built a PS pump from our Stream. Pretty straight-forward, the only difficult bit was a circlip within the pump that was some what tricky.

Word of caution, the PSF is messy, messy stuff, make sure you've lots of rags around to clear up the mess.

Ok guys well I removed the PS belt and hey presto! No noise! (but I now have 2 aching arms where I did a quick test drive, non- power steering sucks!) I inspected the belt and couldn't see any obvious major tears or defects but it dad have loads of tiny little tears all the way along on all the ridges (not sure if this is fairly normal on a used belt?) also it seems a bit brown, stiff and 'crusty' for want of a better word. Whereas my aux belt is pretty much black all over and more pliable.

You might just try replacing the belt, it could solve the problem B)

You might just try replacing the belt, it could solve the problem B)
Yeah I'm going to grab a new belt in a minute. I've just thought though, if it was the belt wouldn't it squeal as oppose to whine? Another thing is that when the noise was there, it would be worse when I turned the wheel and get louder the more I turned. I think it may well be the pump

You could try a new belt and fluid change first as the cheap and easy option. If that doesn't work then a recon or secondhand pump would be next cheapest.

So after being in hospital for a burst appendix, I finally got the chance to fit the 'new' pump today (couldnt find an actual new one anywhere so had to settle for an ebay one with a money back guarantee). So I fitted everything, drained/topped up PSF and switched the ignition on.........still a small whine, but different than the one before, inspect the pump and find the pulley is not running true, it's running quite wonky actually which is now causing the noise. So that ones being sent back and I'll have to put up with the noise until I can find a decent one :(