What's new

Diagnostics - Flashing Coil Light

MeatyChi

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
Can't believe my luck - So I've just put my motor up for sale and just as the first punter is about to arrive my coil light starts flashing. I know it Ould be something to do with the fuel filter however it was replaced year ago and I haven't done much mileage since then tbh as its been sorn for the last 6 months.

Does anyone with a diagnostics device live near Malton in Yorkshire? If so could I borrow it or can anyone recommend a reasonably cheap diagnostics device to read me error codes?

Thanks in advance!!

Unless the MIL also came on then there probably wasn't a Diagnostic Trouble Code registered for this incident. You might possibly find a 'pending DTC' stored on the ECU, but not all OBD2 scanners will read pending codes.

If nobody has read your stored codes for some time then you may find quite a few. Best to delete them all and see which ones come back.

The glowplug light coming on does suggest low fuel rail pressure (some claim it also indicates a low boost condition, but I've never seen that) so, as you suggest, the fuel filter could be a suspect... did you fit the correct OEM (Bosch) filter last time it was changed?

You may have to get it on a Honda Diagnostic System to get a more definite answer.

By the way, why not get yourself an ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 interface? They're now less than £2.50 on eBay!

Low boost or fuel pressure normally.. just buy a code reader from anywhere local, good to have.

Thanks for the replies - @goatlover will the ELM327 read the codes and clear them? @f6had can you recommend a code reader?

MeatyChi said:
Thanks for the replies - @goatlover will the ELM327 read the codes and clear them? @f6had can you recommend a code reader?
Yes, the ELM327 is an obd2 bluetooth interface that connects to a mobile device/phone on which you run an app (such as 'Torque') to emulate an OBD2 scanner (so is a code reader). Works best with an Android device though, if you have an Apple thing you need a WiFi interface and an appropriate app.