What's new

Did I kill the engine with the wrong oil?

ExpandWeiner

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2004
Hey everyone, it's my first post on here as a proud Honda Accord owner :)
I own a Honda Accord 2005 with a 2.2L i-CDTI engine. I bought the car with around 250k miles on the clock. The first thing I did to it was change the oil. The shop I took it to asked me if I wanted to put in 5W-30 or 5W-40 oil so I (stupidly) opted for the 5W-40 oil, thinking that since it was an older engine it wouldn't do harm to put in slightly thicker oil. Even the cashier encouraged the 5W-40 for the summer heat. I drove around 150km on this oil without any problems, until I pushed the engine to 4000 RPM a few times and shortly after that, drove over a speed bump (not fast) and the engine lurched forward slightly and started exhibiting a knocking sound when the RPMs rise above idle. I got the car towed to the shop right away and now I'm basically SOL since they're too busy to look at it.The oil I used was Castrol EDGE.
There seems to be a decent amount of conflicting information on this matter. Honda themselves recommend 5W-20 or 0W-20 and other sources recommending 5W-30 (like Opie oil)/ 0W-30 (this forum) and apperantly shops recommending 5W-40. What a mess.

It's supposed to get 0W 30.
5W 20 and 0W 20 is for petrol engines.
Having said that there isn't a huge difference between the oil you used and 0W 30 if you compare viscosities
particularly as it's summer.
Would have been a lot worse if you had used one of the 20 oils because they are really thin and wouldn't have protected your engine properly.
The noise isn't good news, but it seems unlikely it's due this oil over the short distance you've driven it.

Are there any other symptoms? Smoking, smells etc? Could the knocking sound be coming from one of your injectors rather than the engine? I agree that the 5w40 is unlikely to have killed it, but perhaps if the oil pump was already weak then the slightly heavier weight of oil may have been the final nail in the coffin.

Try and get confirmation of what the knocking noise actually is before deciding on next steps, might be something minor.

The knocking could be one of many faults...i also own a diesel car which developed a knock a couple of years back.turned out to be a faulty injector causing i ***ume a bad bang and for me a cheap easy fix.BUT do not go down this route yet only way to find the problem is get it into a garage you trust to diagnose properly.many serious issues will put your car into limp mode and as you have not reported this id say a glimmer of hope not a serious? As for you killing your engine using a slightly different grade of oil id really doubt it.As long as youve changed it at regular 4/5k intervals thats not a cause of whatever wrong

I think mine had the wrong oil used , my vehicle had done 51k and it put a rod through the block all down to the wrong oil used , i hadn't had the car for long and the dealer blew to America , by the way i never took my car over 60 , but i did manage to get an engine with 31k , no proof but the car is smooth and doesn't miss a beat .