Diesel 2.2 Es gt tourer body vibration

Dunhambob

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord diesel
Hi peeps
I’ve a 2011 accord Es gt diesel
Body vibration between 40/50 mph , had front wheels balanced no change .
Looking for best ways to check drive shafts and duel mass . If it’s drive shafts any ideas on the best cheaper ones ,Honda want a arm and leg , regards bob

Is it doing it on acceleration only or even when coasting? Does it get worse on braking?

Hi
Worse on acceleration nothing to do with brakes , not really tried with coasting . Thanks for replying

I have the same issue and I'm getting annoyed with it...

Uneven tyre wear diagnosed a year ago. I couldn't see it until it was pointed out to me, but it was quite obvious / pronounced. 4 wheel alignment and new tyres appeared to resolve it.

12 months later, it's back with a vengeance. Can't see any uneven wear, but then I couldn't last time. Unclear if the 4 wheel alignment wasn't done correctly and didn't resolve the original issue, or if something else is at work.

Swapped wheels front to back with no change, but I can't be sure the rears haven't already been on the front and already picked up the uneven wear too.

Had the wheel balance re-done (cheapest option first -no improvement). 4 wheel alignment done again (different place), with no improvement. Plan to get two more tyres on the basis that correct alignment on already worn tyres isn't going to show anything.

For me the car will sit at steady at a steady 45 all day long. Accelerate from 30mph through 45mph and there is a wobble. The harder I push it the worse it is. By 50 it's passed, and nice and smooth again. There is a barely noticeable wobble at about 22mph too, which makes me think it's a resonant, but I can't figure how it only shows under load and not when driven steadily. I guess the next point would be at 90mph, but I don't tend to go there.

It shows up at the same road / wheel speed regardless of engine speed (in gears 3,4,5,6). 45mph in first or second doesn't seem like a good idea. This makes me think it's less likely to be engine / clutch / flywheel but I could be wrong.

It seems much less pronounced on a cold morning. Not sure if that's before the tyres warm up and grip better, the oil is thicker in the engine / gearbox / dampers, or is just coincidence.

It's not felt the steering wheel as such, it's the whole front of the car. I can't reproduce it when braking from 60 through the 45mph zone, it only seems to be on acceleration.

I wondered if knackered dampers might be involved? The nose doesn't rise noticeably but I wonder if it's going light at the front and scrabbling for grip.

Possibly drive shafts or diff? But why only at one speed? Might be an expensive thing to prove.

My discs are worn and will be replaced before summer is out, but I don't think they're involved.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

I remember having something similar with a VW Passat which turned out to be the rear shock absorbers.The first 20 minutes of driving was fine, presumably once the oil in the dampers warmed up they were stiff enough to ***ist in reducing the problem.

Emptying the boot of junk made it worse.

Channel Hopper said:
I remember having something similar with a VW Passat which turned out to be the rear shock absorbers.The first 20 minutes of driving was fine, presumably once the oil in the dampers warmed up they were stiff enough to ***ist in reducing the problem.

Emptying the boot of junk made it worse.
The guy who did the second 4 wheel alignment for me suggested rear shocks. I wasn't convinced, but perhaps there's something in it? I checked today, there is zero steering wheel involvement, so perhaps it's not the front at all -and it's actually the rear that's shaking and I'm feeling it in the front because that's where I'm sat. Might try a couple of hundred Kg the boot and seeing if alters anything.

Before you go too far down the road of expensive components, check the control arm bushes the large front one, I had a 2008 tourer 7th gen that would vibrate on occasion and had some strange front tyre wear, the front LCA bushes were OK, not cracked but soft and well past their best.
I changed them for a set of Problem solving bushes PSB which are solid polyurethane and once changed the car was transformed, they made a huge difference in stability and tyre wear and didn't make the ride harsh like performance polyurethane bushes can do.
Use a pry bar and see if there is much movement in the bushings and if there much lateral movement, I think this is a weak point in the suspension of the 7th Accords and the 8th gen use the same bush.

Link to my DIY thread.
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/24059-problem-solving-bushings-fitted-to-lower-control-arm/?hl=lower+control+arm

Matt said:
The guy who did the second 4 wheel alignment for me suggested rear shocks. I wasn't convinced, but perhaps there's something in it? I checked today, there is zero steering wheel involvement, so perhaps it's not the front at all -and it's actually the rear that's shaking and I'm feeling it in the front because that's where I'm sat. Might try a couple of hundred Kg the boot and seeing if alters anything.
Taking about 15psi from the rear wheels and going for a short run in a straight line will help, if the problem is reduced at the same speeds then it is almost certainly the dampers.