What's new

Diesel bashing thread! (Only kidding - pros and cons discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
freddofrog said:
and the limited lifetime of the batteries, and the pollution caused by making the batteries, and the CO2 caused by continual use of fossil fuels at power stations

in comparison to diesel engines and electric motors, petrol engines win win win ;)
The UK is increasingly making use of renewable energy, plus we'll all soon have a giant French-operated Chinese-made nuclear power station nearby. The CO2 emissions ***ociated with the running of electric vehicles will therefore become negligible.

Vehicle battery production will stabilise and expired battery packs will be recycled using green energy. Soon we will have no choice...

Jon_G said:
The UK is increasingly making use of renewable energy, plus we'll all soon have a giant French-operated Chinese-made nuclear power station nearby. The CO2 emissions ***ociated with the running of electric vehicles will therefore become negligible.

Vehicle battery production will stabilise and expired battery packs will be recycled using green energy. Soon we will have no choice...
AND we will also have our own private windmill! LOL

freddofrog said:
^ but with it being an automatic you won't experience the daft close ratios they put on the manual version of the diesel
I find the ratios are OK on the manual, though the car is always loaded as though there were four people in the cabin.

I miss an overdrive though on the motorway, is the 6 speed on the later gearbox a much higher ratio or close to 5 ?

If six gears is too much you can just skip a gear. In fact skipping 5th will make 6th feel like an overdrive.

Jon_G said:

06fa80e41d33cf03853188f6b9a968c9.jpg

Fuel consumption is something I don't worry about.. It can drink like a fish if it wants. I want naturally aspirated revs lots of them and petrol is where you get that. Diseasels have such a narrow go band its like riding a two stroke motorcycle.. Suddenly kicks in and then two secs later your changing gear and God forbid a short shift. My accord k24 has moved to a new owner now I still see it regularly because my best friend bought it off me after a run out to fish in Selsey.. He fell in love from the passenger seat haha. So I have a Z4 now... Kids older, wife car for practical stuff plus a transit van means I can have a toy
. 3.0 of straight six natural aspirations engine that loves revs cannot even imagine a diesel under the bonnet instead.

ToothlessDrunk said:
Fuel consumption is something I don't worry about.. It can drink like a fish if it wants. I want naturally aspirated revs lots of them and petrol is where you get that. Diseasels have such a narrow go band its like riding a two stroke motorcycle.. Suddenly kicks in and then two secs later your changing gear and God forbid a short shift. My accord k24 has moved to a new owner now I still see it regularly because my best friend bought it off me after a run out to fish in Selsey.. He fell in love from the passenger seat haha. So I have a Z4 now... Kids older, wife car for practical stuff plus a transit van means I can have a toy
. 3.0 of straight six natural aspirations engine that loves revs cannot even imagine a diesel under the bonnet instead.
But imagine how much better it would be if it was electric... that would make the difference between petrol and diesel look tiny!

freddofrog said:
How's an electric motor going to give the same fun on a RWD car ?
All the torque, all the time!!

ToothlessDrunk said:
Now there's an ever bigger misconception than the diesel one.

There are so many bikes out there that buck that trend.
It's like saying all four stroke, 4 cylinder car engines perform the same way.

In my garage I have a Trials bike, an Enduro and a Motocross bike, all 2T's, and all totally different in the way they produce their power.

Hahaha. I love a spreadsheet. Go for it Freddo.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Now there's an ever bigger misconception than the diesel one.
There are so many bikes out there that buck that trend.
It's like saying all four stroke, 4 cylinder car engines perform the same way.
In my garage I have a Trials bike, an Enduro and a Motocross bike, all 2T's, and all totally different in the way they produce their power.

Well also being a bike owner through the years , I am comparing my RGV 250 riding experience to Aprillia RSV and KTM 990 experience . Also had a Yam TY 250 trials and have at various points ridden everything from Beta to Scorpa being fort william born and bred trials was unavoidable ...and a CR 250 500 all the KX range various 4 stroke supermotos such as Husky SM 570 KTM 625 smc plus so many other road race and stupid bikes i have lost count years ago ....And although the various 2 T do deliver power in different ways ...I have never rode a 2t that feels like a 4 for flexibility .

I have driven electric ..it has one problem , it feels weird . I think it takes a bit of getting used to . Pit the key in and your siting there waiting on noise and vibration ...and there is none ..then you finally with trepidation push the go pedal ...and it does ..it goes but there is absolutley none zero zilch nada mechanical or audiable feed back to the senses ...and that feels ****in odd .

ToothlessDrunk said:
Well also being a bike owner through the years , I am comparing my RGV 250 riding experience to Aprillia RSV and KTM 990 experience . Also had a Yam TY 250 trials and have at various points ridden everything from Beta to Scorpa being fort william born and bred trials was unavoidable ...and a CR 250 500 all the KX range various 4 stroke supermotos such as Husky SM 570 KTM 625 smc plus so many other road race and stupid bikes i have lost count years ago ....And although the various 2 T do deliver power in different ways ...I have never rode a 2t that feels like a 4 for flexibility .
I have a Suzuki GT550 which comes very close to four stroke traction.

Modern four stroke design incorporates changes to the crank pin and cylinder firing to allow multicylinders to fire like twins (Honda experimented with this a while ago with the V4s before moving to twins) and I have tuned a single 500 to the point where it becomes unrideable, but the four stroke cycle is a bang short of two stroke and manufacturers know whatever they do, the environmentalist lobbies will win with media savvy claims of their children suffering because you are using an internal combustion engine. :wacko:

If you've had a CR500, that's almost like a 4-stroke in it's delivery due to the way it's poŕted and lack of powervalve.

2T Enduro from around 2008 onwards are a totally different breed to 2t machinery of old.
I only race a 200 LYN, but it'll pull 3rd gear cleanly from almost idle, and still rev it's guts out like a 125.
A modern 300 2t is the same bit with more everywhere. The biggest irony being that the diesels (4-stroke singles) dont pull the very bottom cleanly and will cluck and stall at low rpm, but do have monstrous mid range.

The 2t's are the more flexible motor, which is why you struggle to find a 4-stroke on any of the extreme events.

Multi cylinder 2T snowmobile motors for everyone. We all get our own blue clouds.

Love all things Japan, no wonder Tokyo is so clean when this is what they get up to, cant see much NOX coming from these engines.

LL0Lf9O.jpg

I prefer these myself, makes a mockery of what we put up with this side of the world

IAUQRot.jpg

Channel Hopper said:
I have a Suzuki GT550 which comes very close to four stroke traction.

Modern four stroke design incorporates changes to the crank pin and cylinder firing to allow multicylinders to fire like twins (Honda experimented with this a while ago with the V4s before moving to twins) and I have tuned a single 500 to the point where it becomes unrideable, but the four stroke cycle is a bang short of two stroke and manufacturers know whatever they do, the environmentalist lobbies will win with media savvy claims of their children suffering because you are using an internal combustion engine. :wacko:
It's done, or at least it will be by the end of the week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

No matter what fuel you use, burning it by compressing with a piston has been killed off. Oh well at least breakers yard parts will be cheaper soon.

Channel Hopper said:
It's done, or at least it will be by the end of the week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

No matter what fuel you use, burning it by compressing with a piston has been killed off. Oh well at least breakers yard parts will be cheaper soon.
France announced same thing 3 weeks ago --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40518293

Netherlands will introduce it in 2025 --> https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/netherlands-closes-2025-petrol-and-diesel-car-ban

Norway will introduce it in 2025 --> https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/green-cars/norway-considers-ban-petrol-and-diesel-cars-2025

Germany by 2030 --> https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/germany-plans-ban-combustion-engine-cars-2030

So actually finding a dealer in the UK that sells an IC car will be difficult well before 2040.

e.g. Chinese-owned Volvo cars will all be electric by 2019 --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40505671

BMW Group will transform its production system to enable the electrification of all its model series --> http://www.airqualitynews.com/2017/07/25/bmw-announces-next-stage-electric-vehicle-strategy/

Each of the countries mentioned has a slightly different plan (at this stage, little more than a beermat meeting) of which way they will consign the internal combustion engine to history.

The consumers are going to be fodder for whatever the petrochemical companies wish to do.

A few years after we've all switched to electric cars, we'll look back to how we currently fuel our cars with dismay and even laugh. Like we do now with steam locomotives...

Steam trains are lovely things though.
As are some petrol cars.

I'll look back at my diesel car like I look at an old hammer. Just another tool for a job, but the most appropriate one for banging in that nail at that time.

Dropped a hammer down the wall cavity of my house when I built our extension. Can't say I was overly bothered TBH.

Think I'll be the same with my accord.
Great for munching miles on the cheap, don't be a great loss when it goes.

And yet, sleepers, a guilty pleasure after quietly fitting go faster bits into small bikes a few years back. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaJQNUZdW6U

Status
Not open for further replies.