What's new

Diesel Fuel Filter Stuck?

alloy36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
Hi guys,

I tried to change my ff today, been getting the glow plug light flashing and car going into limp mode.

I had'nt changed the ff since i've had it so had a go after reading the diys.

Managed to access it no probs, got the left hand side bolt off and the two ob the side.

The ff just wouldnt break loose or come off the bracket. I tried loads and had no luck, the ff holder is just stuck on the ff!!

Anyway decided i'll probably end up breaking sonething so put everything back together, primed the bulb and went off for a drive.

No hesitation at all and no linp mode, blasted it on a mix of motorway and country roads all fine!

I seem to have accidentally fixed the problem but still need to change my ff.

Lost the left side bolt whilst putting it back together and my ego!!!, will go down to honda and get it done by them.

you probably cleared up an air lock. i would still get the filter changed even though all seems well.

I would also drain it first from the bottom, then prime and re-bleed it.

You've probably missed a bolt.. also try some WD40 around the edge of bracket where it meets the filter to see if it can help loosen it

I looked at the diy on here and they only mention 3 bolts which i removed. I tried wd40 too but had no luck. Had a right good nose around and saw nothing else around

I'm slightly concerned about the missing bolt, will have to own up to honda and see if they can replace it.

Be interesting to see if they mention a stuck ff!!

On another note I bought halfords proffesional socket set which was on offer. Fantastic tools and much better than the previous argos tosh i had. Bought a whole socket set for the sake of a wobbly bit!! (i was looking for an excuse anyway)

At least my dads had a good laugh today!!

I did think about calling you faddy, but felt it may be a bit inappropriate.

My knuckles are well sore

I'd have laughed at you too :D

Sure if I was free, happy to help.

Did you remove the bolt at the back of the filter. It's good to have all the bolts back in place but don't worry too much about losing that bolt, it's not detrimental to the running of the car so don't go rushing to the main dealer to replace it.

Hi guys,

I tried to change my ff today, been getting the glow plug light flashing and car going into limp mode.

I had'nt changed the ff since i've had it so had a go after reading the diys.

Managed to access it no probs, got the left hand side bolt off and the two ob the side.

The ff just wouldnt break loose or come off the bracket. I tried loads and had no luck, the ff holder is just stuck on the ff!!

Anyway decided i'll probably end up breaking sonething so put everything back together, primed the bulb and went off for a drive.

No hesitation at all and no linp mode, blasted it on a mix of motorway and country roads all fine!

I seem to have accidentally fixed the problem but still need to change my ff.

Lost the left side bolt whilst putting it back together and my ego!!!, will go down to honda and get it done by them.

If the "cup holder" is fixed to the bulkhead leave it there remove the two pipes from the top of the filter, and twist and pull the filter up, you will not break anything it is only muck holding it in. If your grip is not up to the job then use a pair of stilsons on it. When you get get ff high it will foul the bulkhead, no worries just tilt it towards you and lift. These Honda's are tougher than you give them credit for. Just because it is more refined than other oil burners it's still as hard. LOL

Update guys, got it done from hepworth honda.

Was done in 30 minutes no issues. I didn't get to speak to the tech only receptionist and she didn't mention anything.

Hmm i'm not sure if i was doing something wrong or simply didnt apply enough force due to being scared of breaking anything.

I'll try again next year (some people never learn )