What's new

Diesel Glow plug light flashing

Its possibly a short between the reverse light and brake light. Putting the car into reverse may be sending power into the brake switch which the car is sensing as a fault.

Couple of easy things you could try. Pull out the fuse for the reverse light and see what happens. Get someone to press the brake pedal and see if the reverse bulb is also lighting?

Get someone to press the brake pedal and see if the reverse bulb is also lighting?

All bulbs are working as they should be, even the LED ones.

I tried pulling the fuse (No. 7 under the dash marked "backup light" in the manual) but the problem still remained. However, I put it back and drove to the builders merchants (with the warning light flashing). When I left I reversed out and drove off and then noticed that the display was different. I normally have it set to show average MPG but it was now showing the display that indicates actual mpg as you are driving (those with pre facelift probably won`t know what I`m talking about). It was then that I noticed the warning light was off.
So I tried several times putting it in reverse and the light has stayed off and I don`t seem to have the problem anymore.
I should add that the fuse also seems to cover the satnav display, that annoying beeping you get when the key is in the ignition with the door open, and it`s possible that it covers the computer display setting which is possibly why the display was different to what I had set it to.
But whatever, the problem seems to be fixed. Probably only until the morning though. If it comes on again then I`ll just live with it for a while

Seems like pulling the fuse has sorted it, maybe something has been reset, who knows but whatever its done the problem seems to have gone away

Result there then bud!

Seems like pulling the fuse has sorted it, maybe something has been reset, who knows but whatever its done the problem seems to have gone away

Well. I spoke too soon. The fault has returned but I`m starting to wonder whether the LEDs and reverse camera are a red herring after following wajs thread about the frequency solenoid valve (FSV). Over the past week or so the warning light has been flashing now and again usually after I`ve been fiddling with the LEDs to get them right. Today though it seemed to come on after I put it into reverse. The warning light I`m talking about is the glow plug light, I don`t know which light is coming on in the FSV thread

Dave, I think it's a red herring. If you're getting the glow plug light, my money is on fuel filter or a related problem.

The light that Waj got will have been the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (Orange MIL light)

The light that Waj got will have been the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (Orange MIL light)

Is that the one shaped like an engine. I had that one as well last Thursday but after driving for a while that went off and hasn`t come back since. I just put it down to having a flat battery after playing around with my LEDs

Does a Honda diagnostics check cover more than a check with a good OBD scanner

Dave, yep that's the one. And yep a proper Honda diagnostic will be able to read all the errors in the retained memory bank - so even if there are no active codes, it can read what the historical codes were.

I would suggest getting in touch with CJ and popping over to Leeds. He will do you a proper Honda diagnostic at a very reasonable rate.

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but on my way home from work today the glow plug light started flashing and the car went into limp home mode.

I had the car remapped about 2 weeks ago and the problem has happened only today. i have read about the fuel filter being the problem, but it seems to be too much of a coincidence that it happened so soon after the remap.
Has anyone experienced this problem after having their car remapped?

Hello Nav, it could be related to a remap only in that a remap will be requesting higher fuel pressures at the rail and if your filter is clogged and can't deliver... it will throw the car in into limp mode.

Who did your remap and what sort of power gains are we talking about? The cold weather won't be helping especially if the fuel is slightly frozen.

Thanks for the reply F6HAD.

I took the car for another drive this evening and its working perfectly fine, the glow plug light has even stopped flashing all by itself. What a relief!
I suspect it probably had something to do with the freezing cold weather.