What's new

Diesel Glow plug light flashing

All sorted. I took it to my mate who plugged in his Snap On Solus Pro code reader and would you believe it the only code it found was nothing to do with the fuel filter, fuel pressure or air in the system.

It showed a fault with the brake pedal switch which he cleared. I drove the car home and so far the warning light hasn`t come back on.

I went out in the car late last night before taking it to my mechanic mate and it drove perfectly, it has never been in limp home mode, I forgot to mention that.

I did mention to him that I hadn`t touched the switch but I have just fitted LED brake and side lights and he thinks that might have caused the warning light to come on and somehow show up as a brake pedal switch problem. This is where he got a bit technical. Apparently LEDs can cause more or less resistance (can`t remember which one he said) and as modern cars sophisticated electronics work on electrical resistance sending information to the ECU the new LED brake lights were detected as a fault. Hope that all makes sense.

That's weird mate.. but glad it's sorted.

What he's saying does make sense but I'm not entirely sure it's correct - the brake pedal switch will be just that, a switch. It won't check whether it's lighting up the bulbs.. Some of the petrol cars have suffered brake pedal switch problems, but first one I've seen on a diesel.

I agree it does seem weird but maybe the ECU is explaining the apparent fault caused by the LEDs by showing it as something to do with the switch, who knows.

I`ve just been looking on Ebay at the same seller I bought my LEDs from and he is selling bulbs described as "No ECU error" here for example:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-T10-168-194-17-SMD-SMT-LED-HID-White-Wedge-Bulbs-/200520676784?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eaff6b5b0

which to me suggests that they could potentially cause a problem on our Accords.

I think I was just unlucky because, thinking back, I was reversed up to a MacDonalds window and repeatedly pressing my brake pedal and turning on/off my sidelights to try and see what they looked like (sad I know) and that was when the warning lights came on.

Perhaps your car is worried about your diet? 

They're the healthiest part surely?

:rolleyes:  I love'em...

Dave those ECU No Error ads are referring to those cars that run a CANBUS system and give bulb out warnings via the onboard computer such as new BMW's.. I fitted a HID kit to my uncles 2006 5 series and I needed to fit ballasts with the resistors in them to ensure it didn't get an error.. I then fitted LED's to his angel eye headlights and every time he starts the car, the I DRIVE system gives him a bulb out warning for each bulb...

Just looking for reasons why this happened Fahad and exploring all possibilities. Like I said the car never went into limp mode and ran normally so in my own mind I can only think something got its knickers in a twist with me pressing brake pedal, switching on lights and I think I stopped and then immediately restarted the engine (can`t remember why) but thats when the warning lights kicked off.
Anyway its all sorted now and touch wood the cars running fine

Yes mate I know, just offering an explanation for what the ads are actually talking about :ph34r:

Fingers crossed it stays fixed :lol:

Glad its sorted Dave. Interesting fault though

I know just wish I could come up with a more plausible and definitive reason for it. Scary though at first, thought my wallet was going to take a kicking

problem is back again it has to be a problem with the leds. car runs fine but glow plug light flashes. one thing i have noticed is the warning buzzer for the reverse sensors is making a strange faint rapid beeping instead of a loud single beep when i put it in reverse

Doubt the parking sensor has anything to do with it... Get the car onto an OBD reader and seen what it says. Best £30 you could spend on occasions like this.

This certainly is a head scratcher Dave ;)

Agreed with Dan, get it on a scanner.

Don`t know if this would cause a problem but I think I may have fitted an LED bulb to the stop/tail that is designed to replace a single filament bulb (how do you tell?), namely this one:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200517112578&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT (how do I change this to just say "here" or "bulb" or whatever?)

Just seems more than a coincidence that this has happened since fitting my LEDs and a code reader shows "brake switch fault". I knew I should have left well alone.

I`ll put all my normal bulbs back tomorrow and see what happens

It gets curiouser and curiouser. I`ve just been out to the car and no warning lights, it seems to have cleared itself but I swapped the brake light bulbs anyway and everything was still ok. I needed to move the car so put it in reverse and straight away the glow plug light starts flashing again, it gets worse.

Are these aftermarket parking sensors? I would check the wiring in the boot very carefully and the battery earths etc. Might be a short somewere.

Are these aftermarket parking sensors? I would check the wiring in the boot very carefully and the battery earths etc. Might be a short somewere.

They were on the car when I bought it and I think they are factory fit or at least fitted by a dealer. I have just fitted a reverse camera, so maybe I`ve dislodged some of the wiring for that when I`ve been fitting my LEDs

The plot thickens...

Reinforcements have arrived. Geordie Dave, remember him, the electronics wizard, has offered to have a gander at my electrical expertise (or lack of). I`m seeing him on Wednesday

Goodluck Dave, hope GD can shed some light on it all for you, like you say hes the guy you want to have a look he is a wiz with the electronics. I know he helped out blue guru no end with his folding wing mirror mod.

Goodluck Dave, hope GD can shed some light on it all for you, like you say hes the guy you want to have a look he is a wiz with the electronics. I know he helped out blue guru no end with his folding wing mirror mod.

Thats why I went to see him. I asked about the folding mirror mod when we met at oldham for the wheel alignment meet and we finally managed to get together and sort it today, works a treat. unfortunately it took so long sorting it that we didn`t really have time to have a look at the other problem. But Dave is a great guy, very helpful and knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile to help.

It is weird though. I got in the car this morning and the fault appeared to have gone so I drove to Daves. I had to reverse into his driveway and as soon as I put it into reverse the glow plug light comes on and flashes. No doubt tomorrow morning it will be clear again until i want to go backwards. The reverse sensors have been playing up lately so I might try disconnecting them or pulling the fuse if I can find one and see what happens.

Definately linked to your reversing sensors then. I'm guessing the reversing light wire is shorting into the brake lights.

Thats why I went to see him. I asked about the folding mirror mod when we met at oldham for the wheel alignment meet and we finally managed to get together and sort it today, works a treat. unfortunately it took so long sorting it that we didn`t really have time to have a look at the other problem. But Dave is a great guy, very helpful and knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile to help.

It is weird though. I got in the car this morning and the fault appeared to have gone so I drove to Daves. I had to reverse into his driveway and as soon as I put it into reverse the glow plug light comes on and flashes. No doubt tomorrow morning it will be clear again until i want to go backwards. The reverse sensors have been playing up lately so I might try disconnecting them or pulling the fuse if I can find one and see what happens.

Nice, 1 problem down 1 to go

How did you connect your reverse camera? Is it feeding of the reverse light wire as well as the sensors? Did this only start since you got the camera fitted?

Camera is connected at the reverse light bulb, haven`t touched the sensors with the camera. Camera was working fine for a couple of weeks then I had a go at fitting LED indicators, stop & tail, and side lights and then it started. Seems more than a coincidence I know, but I put the ordinary bulbs back and it was still doing it and then I noticed that each morning the car was fine, no warning lights until I put it into reverse.

Initially I think I was side tracked into thinking it was a fuel or fuel filter problem but the car has always run fine, no spluttering or limp home mode or anything. Then I took it to a friend who plugged in his Snap On code reader which said it was problem with the brake light switch.

Confused???? so am I.