What's new

Diesel MPG, performance and is there a service Manual?

Dugo

Reaction score
Car
Accord i-DTEC 2.2
Hey everyone

I'm three weeks into owning a 2010 2.2 Manual Diesel Accord (Irish Type S - namely the body kit with 148bhp engine) - and I've a few questions:

(Note that it had a "delivery service" from the Ford main stealer I bought it from - so presumably there is some kind of Ford synthetic juice in it right now; I am trying to find out. It's warrantied for a while so I want to sort out any issues while they have to pay for it :) )

So, firstly - the mileage I am getting is rubbish; tracking it with aCar app - and I am getting 6.9L/100km - or just under 41 mpg for mostly hundred-mile motorway journeys (steady 120kph in 6th, cruise control the whole way).
My '99 Passat TDI (which just died, God rest it) was getting in the high 50s for the same journey profile right up until expiring near the quarter-million mile mark (on one clutch :) ). I know it was only 1.9 - but it had 5 speeds, and a 14-year old engine.

What should I be getting - and what is the usual culprit in dodgy Accord mileage figures?

Second - I just don't feel the kick in the pants I would expect when I put the foot down - in fact I'd say it's sluggish. It's full Honda service history and only 54,000km on the clock. Any thoughts? I'm hoping this, in conjunction with the mpg, is ringing some bells.

Third - is it possible to get service manuals? Haynes appears to be petrol only from what I hear and, like loads of you, I love getting up-close and personal with my motor :) Is Maris the only option? Does it let you print/download?

Fourth - man, she takes an *age* to warm up; makes me wonder if the thermostat is gone. On a cold day, 15 mins and the needle hasn't moved. The Passat had similar warm-up times until I replaced the thermostat - so wondering what's normal for the Accord.

Last - what are the things that go wrong? I wish someone had taken me aside with the Passat and, from bitter experience, said - "Now - here are six seriously important drain holes which the friendly Germans have hidden from view and which love to block up; here's how to get your impossible-to-remove battery out; your window regulators will go - trust me; ..." etc.

What fun lies in store with the Accord? Everywhere I look I see "DPF, DPF, DPF" - so I'm guessing that's a key thing - and maybe explains the first two issues - but how to be sure?

Thanks for any and all info; looking forward to the ride :)

Doug

Hi Doug - have a good search of the site.

If the car has had a fairly sedate life, being driven mostly around town it's possible your DPF is clogged and is affecting the performance and economy.

It's hard to say without any real diagnostics on it. We are removing DPF's on these on a very regular basis now, it's really this vehicles Achilles heel... .but once removed and remapped, the car is like a totally different animal - more economical, better performing and totally reliable.

also the economy of the 8th gen diesel doesn't set world records, i think the 7th gen is more economical.

in fact i would go as far as to say a 8th gen petrol is almost as good as buy as the diesel for economy. but check the particle filter as that is the first thing that comes up all the time with diesels.

Hi and welcome.

Sounds like it might be worth servicing it, new air filter, use the correct 0w/30 full synth oil with low SAPs or your DPF will clog up. Also get a Honda dealer to check it has had all the ECU updates done. There is also currently a recall on the windscreen side trims, the clips come unglued, so get Honda to check those also.

Rear brakes can bind on through lack of cleaning, so that won't help, correct tyre pressures also.

But from what I've read the economy of all modern diesels with DPFs just isn't as good as older ones, especially those VW group PD engines.

Also calculate your mpg from your fuels bills and mileage, the trip computer isn't 100%.

Not many service manuals around, but between here and the other Accord forum, you should be able to find out most things. The parts diagrams are free to access on Lings Honda Parts, so those can help also in disassembly tasks.

As said above, get it service check vital parts that could cause mpg issues and start from there. the accord is quite a heavy car so it will struggle at times, 75% of my journies in my accord dtec are motorway runs, each time i fill up which is usually £20, i tend to get 50mpg, 55mpg if i drive like a proper granny.

keep the tyres fully inflated, check oil condition and thats topped up, drop your average speed to 65mph on motorways instead of 70mph.

Try changing petrol stations. I have found a Certain station by me uses poor fuel as my power and mpg drop. I used Texaco for the first time this week and my mpg went back up and I could instantly feel extra torque which was also verified by the gears I was using.

Racy Jace said:
Try changing petrol stations. I have found a Certain station by me uses poor fuel as my power and mpg drop. I used Texaco for the first time this week and my mpg went back up and I could instantly feel extra torque which was also verified by the gears I was using.
i will try this :) i tend to use shell,