What's new

Diesel tuning chip

Stumc10

Reaction score
Car
Accord CTDI
I have been looking at diesel tuning chips on ebay, they seem to be too good to be true, extra BHP, more torque, more MPG etc... Can someone please advise me on how reliable the claimed gains actually are? Can they damage my engine? Can anyone recommend a certain one, preferably someone with first hand experience? Sorry for all the questions, but I am interested in anyones comments/opinions before I jump in feet first. I have a 2004(54) CDTI with around 88,000 miles on the clock if this helps.

One word! Avoid

Two words. Contact Fahad (F6had)

A remap is the way to go. It's a lot safer than a tuning box.

Weclome to TA.... Post an intro in the newbie section bud.

As Paul told ya... not worth the bidding time. They mostly crank up your fuel pressure and hope for the best.

A Stage 1 Elite Remap is the way to go... get your post count up and see the section that appears to you in the forum listings.

Welcome along Stuart,

Avoid diesel tuning boxes ESPECIALLY on the i-ctdi it is not a conventional diesel!

Your best option for greater performance/ whilst maintaining reliability etc is a re-map as the guys have suggested.

Lots of members on here are using the elite remap, that has been finely tuned to get the best out of the Accord, there is also I believe a special rate for forum members.

As with any tuning of any vehicle of course, you are increasing the risk of mechanical failure by way of the fact that you are optimising the engine performance from that carefully calculated by the manufacturer.

One other thing to note is that you need to ensure that you have no existing issues on the car as a re-map or any performance tuning will emphasis the issue more.

One final point is that there are not many people who take the re-map off because they don't like it !

Drop me a PM mate, we can have a chat.

As the guys said avoid like the plague and have a talk to Fahad he will sort you out.

Thanks for the response guys, all the replies confirm my first thought that if something seems to good to be true then it very rarely is (true). I might have to wait a little while for the remap (hopefully not too long) but I will be in touch f4had. Cheers

Just to clarify why tuning boxes are bad news - they adjust simply one variable out of many, which is fuel.

Forcing the fuel pressure to increase is a very crude way of making power in a modern engine, it forces the engine to work hotter and harder than it should and there is no allowance made for all the other variables that should also be tuned to ensure the engine is running most efficiently.

A proper remap is the only real way to achieve the best out of your engine.

We do sell the tuning boxes, for they're really only an option for either older cars or cars that cannot be tuned via the ECU and where the customer still wants a power upgrade i.e. Shogun/Pajero, some new Lexus etc.