What's new

Disappointed Accord Owner

Zingy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2
Hello everybody. I've recently bought a December 2009 Accord 2.2 GT Diesel Auto. I have a number of issues with it and wondered if anybody might be able to shed some light on some of them.

1. A kind of rumbling/droning noise which appears intermittently but fairly regularly usually when cruising at speeds of over 80 mph. It's quite similar to a wheel bearing kind of noise but I can feel that the source seems to be closer to the centre of the car. I took the car into the garage next to where I work and they told me that one drive-shaft was definitely gone and the one on the other side was most likely gone (although it could also be a gearbox bearing on that side - they wouldn't know without removing the drive-shaft). The guy showed me the play in one side by grabbing it and moving it.

The garage suggested that I contact Honda UK as a car of under four years with 43,000 miles on the clock should not have these issues. I contacted Honda UK who said I needed to take it to a Honda garage. I took it to Honda Newbury who said there was nothing wrong with it. Honda UK say they can't do anything, I'm stuck with a very annoying fault. Any comments? Is this a known fault?

2. Steering. It's simply awful. Never driven anything like it, and I've driven a lot of cars. It wanders all over the place on country roads, you have to be constantly vigilant if you don't want to end up in a ditch because of some tiny indentation in the road that my previous BMW wouldn't even have noticed. I believe this is known as tramlining. The second issue is the 'stiffness' of the steering, not so bad at lower speeds around town but dreadful when cruising on motorways, dual carriageways etc. The best way to describe it is to image a two mile stretch of dual carriageway which is on a very slight curve so you have to hold the steering at a slight turn. It actually makes my hand ache it takes so much effort to hold it there. It's like the car desperately wants to go straight - unless it hits a tiny indentation lol, when it then wants to drive into a hedge. I've checked all the type pressures and they're normal.

I will be getting new front tyres soon and having the car geometry done. I'm hoping this will improve things. If it doesn't I'll have to get rid of the car, it's just too rubbish like this to keep.

3. MPG. I'm getting on average 36.4 MPG. 90% of the mileage I do is cruising at about 80-85 mph down dual carriageways and motorways. The combined figure for this car is 46 MPG. If I drive really, really carefully, I can get it up to about 39 MPG by keeping it at about 70 MPH on motorways. My last car, BMW 525D, much much older, six cylinders was better than this. I know of somebody with a 7th Gen Diesel Accord who gets close to 50MPG. Any ideas? Is this normal for a modern car to be so inefficient?

4. The locking. This is driving me absolutely nuts. I have scoured the manuals which contain no instructions for switching off all this autolocking nonsense - why is that? I found some instructions on the internet but they don't appear to work. I have lost count of the amount of times I've had to do the annoying double click to open all the doors, gone inside to get some luggage, come out with my arms full and the retarded car has locked itself, grrrr. I just want to switch it off so I can lock it and unlock it when I want to - I'm an adult, I can be trusted to do this all by myself lol. I don't understand why this seems so hard to do, my mate has a nice menu on the screen in his car where he can switch his off. Everytime I fiil the car up, I have to get out the car, double click to open the fuel flap, start fuelling, retard car then locks all the doors half way through, I roll my eyes and finish fuelling, fuel flap won't close because it thinks it's locked lol, double click to unlock, close fuel cap. If there's any passengers in the car then the alarm goes off as well.

5. When I get into a diesel, for many many years, I have switched the glowplugs on and then put my seat belt on whilst they are warming up. I MUST put my seatbelt on first, then switch the ignition on and wait for the glowplugs. If I don't I get six very annoying beeps because I have the cheek to be sat in my car and put the ignition on without having my seatbelt on. This is seriously nannying. Can this be switched off?

All in all, I'm sad to say I'm very disappointed with this car. I'd never had a Honda before and bought one because they have a reputation for reliability. I wanted a car that just kept going and would be hassle free haha. Some of the issues above I can live with and some I can't. I'm hoping that with some help I can resolve the ones I can't live with, but sadly if I can't it's going to have to go.

Would really appreciate any help or advise anybody can offer.

Regards
Tony

I may be off the mark as I'm a 7th gen owner but I'll give it a go:

1, 2 and potentially 3 sound like an issue with either driveshaft play (didn't think it was an issue on the 8th gen though) or it needing tyre balancing and laser alignment. Mine is VERY fussy about tyres being straight! Are they wearing oddly do you know? Did the previous owner for some reason replace the fronts just before you bought it ;)

4. It should unlock when you press the fob, then lock after 30 seconds ONLY if you don't do anything. If you open a door it should prevent the auto-locking feature. Not sure why yours isn't doing it right. Mine doesn't auto-lock when driving either so I don't have to unlock it when I get out to get fuel - also I use the unlock tab on the door which unlocks everything before getting out - does this then auto-lock after 30 seconds even if you use that?

5. Again on the 7th gen but under the seat there's an electric gizmo box with a green (I think) plug on the side nearest the centre console - unplug this. Done.

//edit: the seatbelt warning connector is blue, not green:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/6990-seatbelt-warning-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong/

I may be off the mark as I'm a 7th gen owner but I'll give it a go:

1, 2 and potentially 3 sound like an issue with either driveshaft play (didn't think it was an issue on the 8th gen though) or it needing tyre balancing and laser alignment. Mine is VERY fussy about tyres being straight! Are they wearing oddly do you know? Did the previous owner for some reason replace the fronts just before you bought it ;)

4. It should unlock when you press the fob, then lock after 30 seconds ONLY if you don't do anything. If you open a door it should prevent the auto-locking feature. Not sure why yours isn't doing it right. Mine doesn't auto-lock when driving either so I don't have to unlock it when I get out to get fuel - also I use the unlock tab on the door which unlocks everything before getting out - does this then auto-lock after 30 seconds even if you use that?

5. Again on the 7th gen but under the seat there's an electric gizmo box with a green (I think) plug on the side nearest the centre console - unplug this. Done.

//edit: the seatbelt warning connector is blue, not green:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/6990-seatbelt-warning-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong/

Hi and thanks for your reply. Hopefully when I get new tyres and a full geometry check then it will either fix it or I'll know to get rid of the car. The two front tyres were at least half worn when I bought the car. They appear to be wearing pretty evenly so it doesn't really look like there's a geometry problem.

I haven't tried using the unlock tab on the door prior to getting out and refuelling. I'll give this a go but what I'd really like to do is a) Have the car not lock unless I specifically tell it to and B) Unlock all the doors rather than just the driver's door on one click. Anybody know if this, what appears to me to be a simple thing, is possible?

It does appear odd that it should lock itself when the fuel flap is open. I take it it's not supposed to do this.

Thanks for the tip about the beeping, I shall have a look into this.

Regards
Tony

Hi Tony, I was in your shoes, I would take the car to Holdcroft Honda in Stoke, for them to look everything over.

A good number of TA members from all over the country go to them and they are very highly regarded such that it would be well worth the trip.

Hi Tony look at the rear tyres for inside wear as this would be down to alignment and can cause your problems.
If they are worn like this it will cause the noise as well.
As for fuel MPG this sounds about right and is down to the Auto box im afraid.

Brett does yours have the blue connector under the seat for the 'bong'?

Also how does your locking work? ie: when does it autolock? Mine only autolocks if I unlock the doors with the fob and then do nothing else, any other situation (if I open a door, the boot, if I use the unlock switch on the door) then it cancels the autolock. However mine doesn't have the 1st push driver door 2nd push all other doors feature.

Driveshaft would cause a wobble, i personally agree with Honda diagnosis.

The steering is speed sensitive and is a character of the system on many cars now. I agree it should be better, there is a way you can hack it to remain constant state which should get rid of the pulsing you describe. You'll find you get used to it.

when you unlock the car open a door then it won't auto lock, it's a feature in case you press the button while in your pocket for example.

You can probably disconnect the seatbelt warning as others have said, at a guess if you look under the seat an find a connector leading to the seat belt clasp that'll be it though be careful not to disconnect the srs as that will light up the airbag light and will need resetting.

Brett does yours have the blue connector under the seat for the 'bong'?

Also how does your locking work? ie: when does it autolock? Mine only autolocks if I unlock the doors with the fob and then do nothing else, any other situation (if I open a door, the boot, if I use the unlock switch on the door) then it cancels the autolock. However mine doesn't have the 1st push driver door 2nd push all other doors feature.
Trev i haven't looked at the blue connector as yet.As the 7th gen it will auto lock after 30 sec if i don't open the drivers door.But will still lock if you just open the boot.

Thanks for all the replies, couple of things for me to consider there.

Cliffordski - Thanks for the info. I may consider this, if the geometry doesn't change things. It's a bit of a hike from where I am unfortunately.

Jon_G - No it was a SEAT dealer, somebody else had part exchanged it for a new car. It came with a three month warranty which has just expired, although it only had a £500 limit on it anyway so may not have covered very much. The problem has been trying to figure out what the problem actually is.

brett - I'll check the rear tyres later. I've checked the fronts and they are fairly worn but they've worn evenly. Disappointing to hear that the MPG is normal. This seems pretty bad for a modern diesel.

Salim - The steering isn't normal, or if it is normal for an Accord, it's unacceptable. I drive plenty of other cars a similar age to my Accord, the steering is perfectly fine on all of them. I've had the car three months, I still hate the steering, it still makes my wrists ache if I drive the car for more than hour, I won't ever get used to it.

Does anybody know if the autolocking can be switched off completely? Basically, so the car just doesn't lock itself unless I specifically do it.

Lots of "features" on these motors but read the drivers handbook as requested and most will be explained, re the steering had somebody gone oversize on the wheels and tyres? lots of boy racers mess up the car by over "tuning". Not driven an 8 but the 7 is the best motor I have had, and boy have I had some?

Lots of "features" on these motors but read the drivers handbook as requested and most will be explained, re the steering had somebody gone oversize on the wheels and tyres? lots of boy racers mess up the car by over "tuning". Not driven an 8 but the 7 is the best motor I have had, and boy have I had some?

I've read the manuals, there's nothing in them about how to turn off the autolocking.

The wheels are the standard ones that came with the car. Really wish it was the best car I'd ever had but sadly I feel it's a close contender to be the worst. I actually hate it at the moment, it's not a patch on my old 525D. Guy I know has got a 2.2 diesel 7 manual, gets 50 mpg out of it without really trying and loves it. I wouldn't bother with the 8 although I'd really love to hear from somebody who has the same car as mine.

I was in your shoes, came form BMW to Accord (same model)

****** locking thing drives me mad but that's what Honda do.....

MPG is about right - I only get high 30's as well....it's the auto box and gear ratios....not half as good as the German version!!

Steering does take some getting used to as it is a lot lighter than an e39/e60 and it does have the variable speed thing going on BUT it does sounds like there is something else going on, perhaps worn tie rods bushes? I had these in my old e39 giving similar symptoms.

With regard to the 'rumbling' noise - sounds a stupid question but is it always on the same piece of road? There are two stretches of road near me that produce rumbling in the car, like you are going over strips in the road, for no apparent reason!

I drove a brand new Vauxhall Insignia a few months back and absolutely hated the steering on it, could not wait to get back into my Accord! Not sure what my point is other than maybe you just don't get on with this car (I've had people say the Insignia is the best thing ever), or maybe you should swap it for a 7th gen ;) . Actually I think I would go with the "there's a problem" answer as I can't believe the steering on the 8th is that much worse than the 7th - I honestly love the handling on my big diesel estate.

Can you confirm the locking thing for us? I'm sure it's not right! If you unlock all doors, get in, start the car - does it then lock itself randomly? Does it do it when you start driving? Or is it only when you've removed the key and closed the doors?

I was in your shoes, came form BMW to Accord (same model)

****** locking thing drives me mad but that's what Honda do.....

MPG is about right - I only get high 30's as well....it's the auto box and gear ratios....not half as good as the German version!!

Steering does take some getting used to as it is a lot lighter than an e39/e60 and it does have the variable speed thing going on BUT it does sounds like there is something else going on, perhaps worn tie rods bushes? I had these in my old e39 giving similar symptoms.

With regard to the 'rumbling' noise - sounds a stupid question but is it always on the same piece of road? There are two stretches of road near me that produce rumbling in the car, like you are going over strips in the road, for no apparent reason!

Hi. Yes, it's absolutely infuriating but I find it hard to believe that it can't be switched off, yet it seems very hard to find out how to do it. From a safety point of view, is it just me but surely it's not a good thing if you have a crash, are knocked out, the car's on fire and the retarded car has locked itself?

My steering is def not lighter than my old e39, heavier I'd say. I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with it, just don't know what.

No, the rumbling noise happens on different roads, more of a droning really.

I've pretty much had it with the car really. I paid almost £11k for a piece of junk, wish I'd stuck to BMW now. I'll get new tyres and a full alignment done over the xmas break, (will report back here if it makes any difference as it might help somebody else in the future), but I think I'll look at trading it in in the new year. I know that the newer BMWs have a straight-forward menu on the screen where you can switch the autolocking off.

Sounds like a bit of a duffer to me, most diesel autos would've been bought for motorway munching but your's has very low mileage. The mpg of yours is very low too when compared to the official figures tbh (think it was around 44mpg). You should be in the very high 30's at the very least. What is the service history on the Accord like? Do you know if the auto fluid's been changed at all? IIRC your service intervals for the ATF is 40k miles.

I find it hard to believe that it could be that much of a duffer with just 42k on the clock IF the servicing has been up to date. It could of course have been owned by someone who lived down a bumpy track or on a road with loads of speed bumps that have given the bushes a hard start in life....so many variables.

They are good cars, but you can't compare them to a BM (sorry guys!)

I drove a brand new Vauxhall Insignia a few months back and absolutely hated the steering on it, could not wait to get back into my Accord! Not sure what my point is other than maybe you just don't get on with this car (I've had people say the Insignia is the best thing ever), or maybe you should swap it for a 7th gen ;) . Actually I think I would go with the "there's a problem" answer as I can't believe the steering on the 8th is that much worse than the 7th - I honestly love the handling on my big diesel estate.

Can you confirm the locking thing for us? I'm sure it's not right! If you unlock all doors, get in, start the car - does it then lock itself randomly? Does it do it when you start driving? Or is it only when you've removed the key and closed the doors?

Possible I guess, but I think something wrong is more likely. Can't be right for a car to make your wrists ache doing routine driving. No car's ever done that to me before. Have to say, I do know somebody who bought a new Insignia and didn't like it at all.

I'll try and confirm exactly what happens with the locking over the weekend. What I can tell you for sure is this.

Press key fob twice, unlock all doors. Me and mates get in car. Drive to garage. I get out, fuel cap is locked. Press key fob twice to unlock. Open fuel cap, start filling up. Half way through, car locks itself, alarm goes off. Finish fueling, try to close fuel flap, can't because it's locked lol. Double key fob press again, I can now push filler cap down.

Sounds like a bit of a duffer to me, most diesel autos would've been bought for motorway munching but your's has very low mileage. The mpg of yours is very low too when compared to the official figures tbh (think it was around 44mpg). You should be in the very high 30's at the very least. What is the service history on the Accord like? Do you know if the auto fluid's been changed at all? IIRC your service intervals for the ATF is 40k miles.

It has a full Honda service history. It's been serviced by them three times. Don't know if the auto fluid has been changed.

Hmmm....that is odd.......i'm stumped!!

Damn your post, I am now looking at BM's on AT!!!!!

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Accord.

1. the driveshafts cant be worn after 43k miles, not unless its had a big whack on a kerb at some point, check the alloys for damage.
2. They are sensitive to tyre quality and alignment, so get some good quality tyres on all round and a proper 4 wheel laser alignment done, not the kwikfit 'tracking check' rubbish.
3. Even with good quality tyres, they're is a fair bit of tyre roar, just the nature of the car, not enough soundproofing probably.
4. Your auto locking is broken, mine doesnt do that, mine doesnt even auto lock, but you do have to open a door after unlocking, or it will relock, lots of cars do that also.
5. Modern diesels with DPF filters dont achieve the consumption figure older ones did, also ease back a bit, if you do more around 75mph, you will get better mpg, also check it has the right honda approved oil in it 0w/30 low saps.
6. I know what you mean about the seat belt bongs - annoying - car is sold in the USA also, so we get this also, cant be turned off, but you get used to it.

Enjoy your Accord for other reasons like:

1. Individuality - not driving a German car like all the clones!
2. Quality build, lovely smooth door shutting
3. Mega comfy front seats.
4. Paddle shift.
5. GT styling etc etc

Going on the locking door thing this is not correct.
It sounds like some kind of sensor not working when the drivers door is opend.

HAVE YOU BOUGHT A WRITE OFF??

Crikey, I hope not. Bought it from a SEAT main dealer, they'd have to declare that I believe. The car is immaculate inside and out. No signs of anything like that. I did one of those text message checks before I bought it, I think that would have told me but I'm not sure.

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Accord.

1. the driveshafts cant be worn after 43k miles, not unless its had a big whack on a kerb at some point, check the alloys for damage.
2. They are sensitive to tyre quality and alignment, so get some good quality tyres on all round and a proper 4 wheel laser alignment done, not the kwikfit 'tracking check' rubbish.
3. Even with good quality tyres, they're is a fair bit of tyre roar, just the nature of the car, not enough soundproofing probably.
4. Your auto locking is broken, mine doesnt do that, mine doesnt even auto lock, but you do have to open a door after unlocking, or it will relock, lots of cars do that also.
5. Modern diesels with DPF filters dont achieve the consumption figure older ones did, also ease back a bit, if you do more around 75mph, you will get better mpg, also check it has the right honda approved oil in it 0w/30 low saps.
6. I know what you mean about the seat belt bongs - annoying - car is sold in the USA also, so we get this also, cant be turned off, but you get used to it.

Enjoy your Accord for other reasons like:

1. Individuality - not driving a German car like all the clones!
2. Quality build, lovely smooth door shutting
3. Mega comfy front seats.
4. Paddle shift.
5. GT styling etc etc

Agree the driveshafts shouldn't be worn with such a low mileage, unless they were made out of sub-standard material to begin with, possibility. The cabin noise is def noisier than other cars I've been in, the droning I get is something else though.

One of the reasons I bought the car was individuality and the build quality does seem good. It also looks pretty good.

It has a full Honda service history. It's been serviced by them three times. Don't know if the auto fluid has been changed.
With every thing your saying is wrong you need to take to another dealer, once you get the report Honda UK will look after you they just need a report from a dealer, dont give up but you may have to pay a dealer to do the inspection. Your MPG for a diesel town driving in my opinion is good.
Matter of interest what colour your car if your serious about getting rid i might be interested.

With every thing your saying is wrong you need to take to another dealer, once you get the report Honda UK will look after you they just need a report from a dealer, dont give up but you may have to pay a dealer to do the inspection. Your MPG for a diesel town driving in my opinion is good.
Matter of interest what colour your car if your serious about getting rid i might be interested.

Yes, that's what needs to be done. My experience with main dealers (not just Honda) has not been good in the past, so it's finding a more capable one that's not too far away. I know of the good one in Stoke mentioned by someone else earlier in the thread.

The MPG I'm getting is for mostly cruising down motorways. I don't do much town driving.

The car is black. Aside from all the issues I've mentioned it's pretty pristine. I'll let you know if I do decide to get rid of it as I'd need to sort out another car first.

You can ask Honda to do a steering calibration check.

About the door lock thingy, is there an aftermarket alarm on the car? this can override the standard settings and be set to the previous owners preferred setting. Also as said above the vehicle could've been in an accident. and there could be a wiring fault within a door loom or such.

Has this only started to happen or was it always like this? What did the Seat dealer tell you about it?