What's new

Disappointed Accord Owner

You can ask Honda to do a steering calibration check.

About the door lock thingy, is there an aftermarket alarm on the car? this can override the standard settings and be set to the previous owners preferred setting. Also as said above the vehicle could've been in an accident. and there could be a wiring fault within a door loom or such.

Has this only started to happen or was it always like this? What did the Seat dealer tell you about it?

No aftermarket alarm that I'm aware of, entire care looks completely standard to me.

Been like this since I bought it. Only did a short test drive so didn't really notice the steering as it's kind of fine if you're driving around town. Problem is, all these faults are fairly subtle.
Seat dealer didn't mention anything at all.

THIS WILL PROVE IT ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

https://www.hpicheck.com/?gclid=COahvJrNvLsCFRMRtAodlVMAQA

Thanks for that. Thinking about it, I seem to recall some paperwork from the Seat dealer where they'd done there own HPI/Write off checks etc. I'll check this out first.

Press key fob twice, unlock all doors. Me and mates get in car. Drive to garage. I get out, fuel cap is locked. Press key fob twice to unlock. Open fuel cap, start filling up. Half way through, car locks itself, alarm goes off. Finish fueling, try to close fuel flap, can't because it's locked lol. Double key fob press again, I can now push filler cap down.

Aha! I guess there is a pull up tab thing under the drivers seat by the door to release the fuel flap? Otherwise use the door unlock tab on the drivers door to unlock the doors before you get out.
The problem is you're unlocking when you're stood outside, then not opening any of the doors, so after 30 seconds it auto locks - this is correct. ANY time you use the fob to unlock the car you MUST open a door within 30 seconds or it will lock.

As to the droning and having very heavy steering it sounds like a problem. Do we have any 8th gen owners who used to own 7ths? I can go round motorway bends at 70-80 with a couple of fingers holding the wheel, can't imagine they've changed it THAT much.

Aha! I guess there is a pull up tab thing under the drivers seat by the door to release the fuel flap? Otherwise use the door unlock tab on the drivers door to unlock the doors before you get out.
The problem is you're unlocking when you're stood outside, then not opening any of the doors, so after 30 seconds it auto locks - this is correct. ANY time you use the fob to unlock the car you MUST open a door within 30 seconds or it will lock.

As to the droning and having very heavy steering it sounds like a problem. Do we have any 8th gen owners who used to own 7ths? I can go round motorway bends at 70-80 with a couple of fingers holding the wheel, can't imagine they've changed it THAT much.

Ha, you may have just solved that one. So, there's a, um, button for the fuel filler cap somewhere lol. Better have a look and find it then! At least that's some progress but I'd still like to switch the autolocking off.

I certainly couldn't hold my steering wheel on a motorway bend with two fingers for very long. Be very interesting if anybody has driven the 7 and the 8 and can compare and contrast the steering.

Ha, you may have just solved that one. So, there's a, um, button for the fuel filler cap somewhere lol. Better have a look and find it then! At least that's some progress but I'd still like to switch the autolocking off.

I certainly couldn't hold my steering wheel on a motorway bend with two fingers for very long. Be very interesting if anybody has driven the 7 and the 8 and can compare and contrast the steering.
I have i owned the 7th gen and find my 8th gen much better.I will say once you have new tyres and a proper Alignment on a hunter you should notice a huge difference.
I now have Aspec on mine and the difference from a good setup just got better.
The only problem i had with the stock suspension was slight negative camber on the rear so went for after market adjustable camber kit and sorted the problem out.

Bretts right , the tyres make a huge difference , after fitting a set of directional tyres to my last 8th gen the sound was noticably worse .... As the rear camber is set up the inners of the tyres wear and causes more noise . Agree also with the steering issue a proper alingment should cure it ...
Hving said that my current car is is more rattly and generally seems of worse build quality than my previous one ... There seems to be a bit of variation in build quality between models imo .... My previous ex gt was rock solid no squeeks rattles or road noise ... My type s seems shall we say .. A bit worse

Also i am finding the camber kit i have at the moment are not the best as the bushes are to soft.I will be changing them for the daddy of camber kits in the new year for these below.Iv also read on the USA forums that jap speed cambers has soft bushes.
These were not available at the time and there is a seller on ebay now doing the setup for £250 delivered.
https://www.ingallseng.com/35623-rear-camber-toe-kit.html

Not on the 8th gen, no release levers or buttons for the fuel flap. Fuel flap is a push spring release and then is locked by a locking pin when the car doors are locked.

Power steering is electric on the 8th gen, so the ***istance isnt as progressive as normal power steering, it can feel a bit lumpy sometimes.

If its heavy, I would say the alignment is out, get a 4 wheel laser alignment on the car and see if that helps.

Not on the 8th gen, no release levers or buttons for the fuel flap. Fuel flap is a push spring release and then is locked by a locking pin when the car doors are locked.

Interesting. So does it auto-lock when you're driving? How do you then 'unlock all' before getting out?

Interesting. So does it auto-lock when you're driving? How do you then 'unlock all' before getting out?
Trev the fuel cap only locks when you lock the doors there is a switch like the 7th gen on the door arm rest

Trev the fuel cap only locks when you lock the doors there is a switch like the 7th gen on the door arm rest

So you press unlock, get in, close door, start engine, drive to fuel station, open door (doors are unlocked already?), get out - why would the fuel flap then be locked on Tony's car?

So you press unlock, get in, close door, start engine, drive to fuel station, open door (doors are unlocked already?), get out - why would the fuel flap then be locked on Tony's car?
Thats correct Trev im sure Tony said the doors lock as well but will wait for him to respond.If so it must be a sensor not working that tells the car when the door has been opened.

Ok Tony i have been doing some digging on the Auto lock problem you have.It looks like you might have a problem with your MICU which is your multiplex unit.
Ist off you need to get your car checked by Honda's HDS tool to see if there are any codes on this.It might be just a case something needs resetting.

It sounds like you have a duffer. I do wonder if the steering weighting up and wandering are related?

We have a 2009 2.4 petrol auto and the steering is a bit light at parking speeds but otherwise it's fine.

The fuel economy of the 2.2 diesel is pretty poor. We drove our 40K miles 2.4 160miles today and get 35mpg on the motorway. Not hanging about either. the 2.4 petrol is just lacking a little on torque when you are used to driving diesels.

I think there is a general issue with the driveshaft quality on the 8th gen, I regected my old 2.4 petrol due to excessive whine from the driveshaft when driving, it was a loud whine increasing with speed, very noticable around certain speeds such as 40 and 70mph. I regected the car and gave back to Honda after 6 weeks under the Honda happiness guarantee and got a 2.2 diesel. MPG was only slightly bettr than the 2.4 which was silly and I could still hear the whine of the driveshaft, just not as bad as the 2.4
I think the whine is there on all the accords but some cars are worse than others and some people don't mind or even notice it.