What's new

Disappointed

firedup

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord cdti
Hi.
Bought a 2004 Accord Cdti. Intending to keep it a couple of years.
But its not come up to expectations. Engine is supposed to be modern, state of the art when launched. Well it isn't.
Its doesn't get quiet until cruising, when its fine. My friends 2005 Kia Diesel, is a lot quieter.
It has two notable power surges. One about 1500 revs, other around 2300-2400 revs. I know it has a two stage turbo.
But off boost, its a joke, absolutely no torque. An old Skoda 1.9 TD, has much more usable torque. 2nd to 3rd not good. 3rd is too high unless you rev it out in 2nd.
Drivers seat is set too high, even on lowest setting. Means rear view mirror obstructs view.
Handling is so-so. Doesn't like to turn in unless you force it. Grip ain't good for size of tyres. Mondeo kills it.
Let's wind in at speed. Suspect tired door seal.
Are these things described, typical? Iam looking for a replacement. Is the 8th Gen better? Upgraded engine with horrid dpf. Fancy 180bhp model. Is the engine much better in next Gen?
Andrew

sounds like you bought a tired old brute, the 2.2 was whisper quiet (google reviews of Honda whispering diesel) as a newly launched Honda diesel, though if you want clatter free buy a petrol engine. The later 8th gen was much improved but still a diesel, so can get coked up with ****e too and yes the DPF is still another thing to consider if the car has had a bad life.

Perhaps a test drive of your prospective 14 year old car next time, before you part with your money?

Sarcasm I could do without.
I drove the car on the flat, and it felt OK. And no, they are not that quiet for a diesel. Tested a few. Its not tired, or a dog. Maybe I was expecting more.
If you drive it hardish, it goes well, but let it off boost, that's the issue, especially going up hill. Engine is just flat, nothing until boost. And no, they all seem like that. That's why I asked if they have improved the bottom end torque, and gap in 2nd to 3rd. 6 speed gearbox should close the gap?
Its going in for a service, will ask them to check the turbo, and adjust the tappets. See if that changes things.
I want to like the car. Its well built, with a nice closed clunk on the doors, panel gap is good. Being a tourer, boot space is brilliant. One of the best things about the car.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with your purchase, but it is afterall a 14 year old car.

It doesn't have a 2 stage turbo, what you're experiencing is more likely sticking egr valve and intake manifold.

Solved with an egr off and remap.

A service is a good idea, ensure the fuel filter is done and make sure it's a genuine honda dealer item.

The vw PD engines are great and have a lot of mid range grunt, but they're not a match for the refined ictdi,

Your tappets are pre set, they don't need adjusting. If it's noisy then more likely a rattling timing chain, cracked manifold or leaky injector.

Good luck.

An 04 accord something is not right, the 5 speed was a brute of powerful diesel easily capable of outrunning bigger engines, I recall overtaking a c300 V6 Merc (when he did not want me to). I had an Octavia as well but the first diesel accord was something very special.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Does sound like you have bought a bad one. These cars are awesome if looked after and by far this is one of the best diesels of its time.

Maybe get some diagnostics done it to determine if it has a problem.

What I meant by 2 stage is, if you part throttle around 1500-1700 revs, you here it release boost. Then it goes to around 2400 revs, when it boosts again. I presume this is due to the vanes moving, increasing pressure. Is this correct?

Nope. If you can actually hear it dumping boost then you either have a boost leak or the egr is sticking open and you can hear it blowing past the valve. There's obviously an underlying issue, and given it's age that's not unreasonable to expect.

Everything is fixable, it's all about how much time and money you're prepared to spend.

Possibly but really it needs cleaning the intake and blanking egr.

Needs diagnostic before anything though

good points fahad the only thing i would add is throttle body clean as well.