What's new

DIY - EGR passageways & valve cleaning 2.2i-ctdi

Don said:
what gaskets do i need to relpace to do this operation?
Take a look at them and clean with very fine sandpaper if needed. You don't need to necessarily replace any if they aren't broken anyhow.

I see almost all DYI topics are related to pre facelift iCTDi engines, but face lift ones have some differences. For example the EGR valve is different. I try to remove it for cleaning but no success from first try. There are two vertical bolts underneath EGR (pointed up) and there is no room enough for ratchet/spanner and they are very tightened/rusty...
Do somebody did facelift EGR remove/cleaning?
Engine.png

Those two 12mm bolts are tricky and even though I've removed them when fitting blanking plates even I struggle sometimes.

You need a small stubby ratchet driver to be able to get in there and make sure you are trying to Open the bolts in the correct direction. It's back to front because they are upside down so go in the opposite direction to what your brain tells you

F6HAD said:
Those two 12mm bolts are tricky and even though I've removed them when fitting blanking plates even I struggle sometimes.

You need a small stubby ratchet driver to be able to get in there and make sure you are trying to Open the bolts in the correct direction. It's back to front because they are upside down so go in the opposite direction to what your brain tells you
I have no problem with directions... I tried with small ratchet and as expected broke it. Bolts are very tight and rusty. I will try from underneath the car with strong ratchet and few long extensions and cardan. Just don't know if is possible to snip the bolt heads... :)

They're always rusty for some reason.. Try a mini breaker bar and a pole for some leverage

wahabishtiaq said:
Japy any luck?
Yes, yesterday I did it. Just needed two persons...
- Lifted front pass. side with jack to be able easier operate underneath.
- Disconnected one of generator cables (green socket, rubber cap), unscrewed 10mm bolt held plastic cable cover (under EGR) to engine. Moved plastic cover with cables as much as possible away from engine
- Using grinder made face of 12mm socket flat (removed rounding) to make sure socket going deeper on the bolt head. (probably this is not "must" but I did it)
- Next to socket fit cardan, then two extension bars from the socket set.
- Fit socket to the nut, found way extensions to go down under car. (cardan allows to find way down)
- One person held socket and all extensions by fingers over the nut properly.
- Other person underneath the car trying to unscrew nuts. Initially it needs quite big force until hear crack, then can unscrew the nuts by fingers.
After EGR cleaned, I fitted new bolts+washers (because I had them). Before that I put some graphite grease for easier future unscrewing. :)

Shewee that's a hell of a job mate.

Would you be kind enough to share what parts did you order and where to order them from?

For example egr nuts and bolt.

Cheers

wahabishtiaq said:
Would you be kind enough to share what parts did you order and where to order them from?

For example egr nuts and bolt.

Cheers
No, I didn't buy anything. I changed bolts because heads of original ones was rusty and not so good because of many trying unscrew them before. I just found at home similar bolts, even different head size (now 13mm) and washers. Original bolts have no washers, heads are 2 in 1.
You don't need at all to change them ...

Those must have been some badly rusted bolts dude!!

F6HAD said:
Those must have been some badly rusted bolts dude!!
No the bolts inside are like new. Just heads are stuck to surface where been in contact.
As I said new bolts and grinding of 12mm socket are not compulsory...