What's new

DIY Footwell Lighting

Monks

Admin / Co-Founder
Reaction score
Car
-
I have been considering adding some footwell lights for a while now, so in the absence of any proper modding funds I decided to get the project done and dusted.

Having looked at the options I decided on led strip lights preferably with adhesive backing to make life a little easier. I thought I saw the perfect answer when I saw a thread on civinfo site; however some issues etc. put me off.

So I decided to make my own kit and managed to obtain some flexible led strips with a sticky backing. These can be cut in 3 led sections as desired which makes them very flexible for different applications.

I decided to use 18 leds as I wanted a decent effect and figured I can always trim them down if it’s too much. Or I could install a dimmer at a later stage if I want to.
Trip down to maplins provided the wires and heat shrink tubing. I had seen a lot of reviews online where people had done lights etc.… using scotch locks and other ***orted crimps. I’ve never been a massive fan and wanted this to be a proper solder heat shrunk job.

Here are the tools I used:-

Tools.jpg

Soldering Iron, Solder, Wire cutter/stripper, heat shrink tubing, mini torch lighter, insulating tape, various cable ties, ½” pvc pipe and of course the leds strips / wires.

First job was to solder the wires to the led strips a bit fiddly but not too hard. Then I worked out where I was to get the power from and decided on the glove box lighting wire. This was chosen as it comes on when the lights are turned on and has nice length of wire available to strip and solder. I had to remove small wire retaining clip to gain access but was pleased I had picked this location as it can all be hidden nice under the dashboard lip.

Lightpower.jpg

Lightleftsolder.jpg

I then routed the wires back down behind the heater box, these where then stripped and the first set of leds lights where soldered on to the power wires. I mounted the led strips on the plastic panel under the glove box as in the pic.

leftledcover.jpg

I tried to then thread the wires behind the centre console and failed. So I then used a ½” PVC pipe which I routed through and was then able to just thread the wires through with no hassle. The second set of leds where then simply soldered on to the ends of the wires. Then it was time to ensure all the cabling was nicely routed and tied in place.
I used the plastic panel under the steering column to mount the leds as shown in the pics.

shrinkwrapconnections.jpg

driversledcover-1.jpg

What really gave me pleasure was doing all the soldering and seeing the heat shrink in place really gave me a sense of a more professional install. To be fair I feel more confident it’s soldered and not simply scotch locked or crimped in place.

I’m not sure it’s not a little bright for my liking, but will live with it for a while. If it’s too bright I will reduce the number of leds or fit a dimmer. Here are some pics of the result sorry the footwells are a bit dirty :blush:

DSC00614.jpg

IMGP3595.jpg

DSC00613.jpg

IMGP3599.jpg

:blush: wow bright as..lol..you must glow like a christmas tree lol, i thought mine were too bright with just 2 LEDs...oh i haven't put it up yet have i :D ...will do it soon...but nice one

Simply excellent Andy, very professional (if I didn't know it was you I would have swore it was CJ's install) :blush:

Thanks, I can see a dimmer being added :blush:

Andy mine are as bright as yours too mate, leave them I think its fine, great write up and install mate :blush: so It ake it yours come on with the lights? as I have wired mine to the festoon lights...

Yes Jav the power comes from the glove box light wiring which only provides power when the side lights are called for.

Looks great Andy i think there spot on.Also a great write up mate.

Looks awesome, great job !

lol@c j , but yeah andy that looks really cool,ive got the blue led kit for the rest of the interior, but havent yet attempted the foot well,nicely tucked away so no one can kick them out, excellent write up brilliant results...agree with jav keep the brightness,looks cool.... :) B) B)

Nice job Andy. I'm thinking about doing this too. Hrad job to take the trim apart?

Thanks guys for the comments.

Shabz no the tirms just pull off and clip back in place, the trim under the glove box really does reduce noise. I went for a drive and had the fans blowing and I was amazed at the difference in the noise level.

Okay an update I went out tonight when it was totally dark for the first time since doing these lights, Al was correct Im like a christmas tree but with an strange blue glow :( .

Ive ordered a dimmer and will post the install of that so I can increase and decrease brightness depending on my mood :)

Yes I can but I might want to be a blue christmas tree in the future :(

Also I want more accurate control over the light output than simply cutting off 3 leds at a time.

Okay guys I decided to fit a remote dimmer so I can have total control over the light output and even turn it off if I want. Check out my short video showing it all in operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3LNyqyixGI

Very smart :D Why does it look like it's flickering though??

naff video camera does that in low light conditions mate, doesnt flicker at all lol.

can someone give me step by step instructions for this please? Pictures are unavailable.

Many Thanks