What's new

DIY: Full engine service on the Pre Facelift i-CTDI Accord

Nice one Fahad, yea was thinking 2 man like brakes basically. Just wasn't sure if the procedure needed anything else to consider.

Hi All,
Decided to take the plunge and change my fuel filter myself, thanks to the instructions here!!!

Although you didn't quite get across how hard and frustrating it is to get to/and undo the bolt at the rear of the bracket!!!!! (What a pain!).

But thanks to perseverance and help from my father in law - we got there in the end! Should be easier next time i do it!! :p

Thanks F6HAD for the guide and all others that contributed!

Carl

Just got back from Gym - car wouldn't start! Thought it was too good to be true - anyway pumped primer and car started 1st time (so hopefully just needs some air bleeding out tomorrow, in the cold light of day!).

Carl, as per response in other thread sounds like you haven't bled it correctly. Please check the pipe routing to ensure there are no kinks or leaks and then prime and bleed it twice for good measure.

The saga continues! Had a good day and half of car starting ok, 7-8 start ups, last night wouldn't start again?? It did after 3-4 attempts tho, and didn't need me to lift the hood to prime (etc), should this be expected after fuel filter change?? Deffo got all air out and checked cables etc (on last bleed), did it 3 x just to be sure.

Would you advise the running at 1.5k revs for secs (as Per handbook) to try and solve this, or do you think I have problems elsewhere??

Will see how I get on today with starting and report back, again thanks for looking and helping.

Silly question maybe, but how high do you raise the front wheels. I have always lifted the WHOLE. car, but frankly, I haven't the time or inclination today.

Hi all

I have just finished off the service on the car leaving the fuel filter till last.

Thinking it was going to be a pain with having hands like pan shovels.Not looking forward to it...........

Anyway I followed this to the letter and was very easy.

May i just add on picture 7 on Fahad Link there is a black plastic ???? with a cable going in to it thats bolted to the strut top housing.

If you remove this the 10mm bolt at the back is really easy to get to with a knuckle joint on a extension bar.

I got it up and running and put back together in 40 minutes

Thanks again for all the info

Regards Charlie

Not a difficult car to service is it mate ;)

Good work!

Excellent thread lads.

Any chance you can pop up some photos of the tool required for the sump bolt and gearbox drain/filler bolts? Are they just square attachments? Thanks.

K

Sump bolt is just a regular (I think 15mm or 17mm) and gearbox plug is a regular gearbox key like a 3/8" drive attachment.

Sump bolt is just a regular (I think 15mm or 17mm) and gearbox plug is a regular gearbox key like a 3/8" drive attachment.

Something like this?

draper-drain-plug-key-12mm-hex.jpg

No its square from memory

For gearbox, as F6HAD says, just use either the (short) extension bar found in a 3/8" socket set or a 1/2" to 3/8" socket adapter without any sockets. Also works on recessed mains shutoff valves such as when upstairs neighbours boiler started leaking while they were on holiday...

Replaced the transmission fluid today. It was as black as the engine oil when I replaced it last week :

Fuel filter next. Yes it is a genuine one ;)

Replaced the transmission fluid today. It was as black as the engine oil when I replaced it last week :

Fuel filter next. Yes it is a genuine one ;)
Well done mate, Honestly changing the gearbox fluid makes such a difference

Well done mate, Honestly changing the gearbox fluid makes such a difference

Absolutely Shabz! Immediate difference in mine anyway.

Only jobs left are the fuel filter, pollen/air filter and some PTFE grease to sort the creaking clutch.

After fitting the new Fuel Filter should the Primer Bulb stay firm after driving the car?

If it goes soft again is this normal or is it a sign that that it hasn't been bled properly?

After fitting the new Fuel Filter should the Primer Bulb stay firm after driving the car?

If it goes soft again is this normal or is it a sign that that it hasn't been bled properly?

Phil,

Yes it is normal for it to go soft again, sometimes air can get trapped after changing the filter, so you may have to prime it a couple of times, it all depends on how well bled it was when changed.

Thanks TA.

Changed my engine & gearbox oil today. Without your info I doubt I'd have found the confidence to dig out my spanners after such a long time...

Thanks TA.

Changed my engine & gearbox oil today. Without your info I doubt I'd have found the confidence to dig out my spanners after such a long time...

Incidentally, what is on the "Full visual inspection following the Honda Service Inspection Notes" F6HAD mentions right at the top?

Matt, I would suggest it is a trained eye looking for anything out of the ordinary that does not have a specific actionable task on the service schedule.

we have it in the boiler world, and unfortunately its use is purely down to the experience of the engineer doing the job.

Today I Finally got round to doing an oil change with help from this and the many other DIY's on TA.

I had a mechanic change my oil in July but I really wanted to learn to do this myself and also ensure the correct oils and filter were used.

I don't trust either the dealers or my local mechanic for putting the correct stuff in.

using an old trolley jack and Axle stands My Grandfather left in the garage I enlisted my brother's help and we got the car up on the stands.

We had a little trouble with the jack points under the car at first and also getting the car high enough for the axle stands.

I may invest in a better higher lifting jack next time round.

But Once this was done it was fairly straight forward.

The Oil was black and sludgy ( it did not look like it was only three months old too me!)

Nice new genuine filter and sump washer replacements fitted and 5.5 litres of Castrol edge 0W-30 (will top it up tommorow after a run if required as dipstick is halfway between the marks after a short run and idling.

next time it will be the Lubetech 25l drum deal.

I now plan on doing regular oil changes on my driveway thanks to all the TA contributors as you gave me the confidence and the tools to do it myself

Air filter an pollen filter tomorrow and a course of BG244 to follow.

Man good luck with that pollen filter - they can be a real beeatch.

:ph34r:

Well done Simon :)

Kinda rewarding to DIY isn't it ;)

Man good luck with that pollen filter - they can be a real beeatch.

:ph34r:

Drat the dust / pollen filter supplied by Cox motor parts (Honda Lancaster) is the wrong size Honda pollen filter . the box is the right size and is labelled

80291-TF0-E01

but the filter inside is much smaller and labelled: 80291 - SAA _506HE. can anyone confirm the correct part number for an 04 cdti exec saloon still searching forum for the part number.