What's new

DIY - Replace/change inner tie rod Honda Accord 2,2 i -ctdi 200

SirHansen

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi everyone! :)

Just a quick writeup on how I changed my inner tie rods on my Honda Accord Tourer 2007 i-ctdi. I see there are a lot of DIY on outer tie rod, so I will not cover this in this DIY

What you need.

1. Socket wrench set

2. Allen key set

3. Outer tie rod tool, or you can use a hammer

4. Inner tie rod tool, I was so lucky that I could borrow this tool from my local Honda delaer one night. But you can manage to accsess this one with an allen key if you turn your steraing all the way to the right/left

5.I used blue loctighte on the parts. (no need)

6. Remember to use some spraypaint to mark of were the tie rod has been, so the alignement is so far of when you put all together

7. Remember to get you alignment checked after work so you dont wear out your tires

Start of work!

1. Jack up your car, remove both the front tiers. I changed both my inner and outer on both sides.

2. Remove the outer tie rod on the weehlhub side on both sides, this in nr 10/12 on the picture below. Before I removed it from the inner tie rod, I use some spray color to mark of were the alignement had been. Spray were the nut nr 17 on the picture sits on the inner tie rod.

3. Remove the clips nr.5 and nr. 2 that are holding the dust seal nr. 7 on picture, you will then see the same as below

4. Inset the inner tie rod tool, Righty tighty, lefty loosey

5. Insert the new tie rod. I used some blue loctighte on the threads to make sure. ;) Remember to aligne up the tie rod lock washer

6. Instal the outer tie rod on the inner tie rod. Count numbers on threads on the old one until the spray panint stops. Instal outer tie rod to same "treadnumber" as old one

7. Remember to install safety clips on outer tie rod after instal.

8. Get an alignment :)

Great write up

Good job:)

I may have this job looming on the horizon.

Does the tie rod tool just grip (like Stilson's) to the socket portion of the joint to undo it? Can you not just undo it with a big open-ended spanner?
(Which is what I did last time I did a rack-end, although that was about 15 years ago)

I'm a little confused as to how you'd undo it with an Allen key instead?

Am I missing something obvious? I don't want to get caught out if I decide to do this.

Haha. I used a big adjustable spanner to do mine. (Had to undo the drop links and swing the ARB out the way to get on it properly)
Kept the locknut in position on the tie rod and measured the exposed thread with verniers.
Also set the tracking with the car on a pair of ramps, two long straight edges ratchet strapped to the wheels, and a glamorous ***istant (the wife) stood out front with a tape measure.