What's new

DIY Short Ram Air Intake (The Heath Robinson Method)

I had a quick look the other evening and was shocked at how little space there is in the bay actually. The only clear way through was into the front passenger wheel arch, but I wasn't sure about heat from the brakes and possible water spray being chucked up their in the rain, so have ruled that out. The radiator is massive man :eek:, definitely no easy way around that. But I've seen in other cold air intake threads that there should be space in front of the wheel behind the bumper, as that's where they were mounting their filters. I don't have the money for that kind of proper pipe work and I don't have the balls to go putting my filter that close to the ground, but I have a fairly rigid, cheap as chips flexible pipe and will fashion something. in that area I reckon. Just waiting for some down time without hassle from the Mrs and the boy to get the bumper off and get stuck in ;) .

Must be a way around the resonator box. I will get my thinking cap on ;)

I have put the parts in my basket now steve! :D

:lol: Good man!

Which K&N did you go for? If you're copying my setup, I'd recommend:

This filter
This heat shield
This to connect the filter to
This to take the pipe up from 70mm to 80mm
This to connect the silicone up-sizer to the stock inlet hose
And obviously plenty of hose clamps

The metal pipes a pretty easy to cut if you want to reduce them in length. I've run out spare cash now, but will have this exact above setup by the end of next month I reckon. My filter as it is, is on tight and secure (I've checked 3 times since fitting just be sure), but I don't like that I had to bodge it slightly and would rather get the extra piece of pipework to make it look and feel more secure (mainly for peace of mind as I'm a bit of a worrier ;) .

Must be a way around the resonator box. I will get my thinking cap on ;)

Or just rip it out :lol: . I think that's my plan of action ;) .

Yeah it was a flexible pipe that I used, routed it through where the resonator box was to the lower grille. Looked alright but it had amassive kink where the first bend behind the grille was :(

f88dc86a.jpg

It's lurking at the bottom on the driver side there. I'm thinking that when I refit everything I'll bore a hole into the side of the bumper and mount the feed there as like you say the only other option is the wheel well!

Need to go back and find your links for buying tubing, I used my Accord induction kit on the lude so now I need another on the cheap :lol:

I like your photo man, it looks like a before and after review of a headlamp cleaning product :lol: . Although I'm sure it's just the way the light's reflecting ;) . See my response to Rob above mate. We were probably typing at the same time when you posted. It's got plenty of links. That APMotorStore place is cheap and has lots of variety in their stock.

No I really do have one mullered light and one good one, god knows how it happened :lol: will be buffing the lenses and painting the surrounds black at some point in the distant future so maybe after two years I'll have matching lights.

Haha yeah just spotted your post, d'oh! I'll have to take a look at their site, like you I want cold air but I'm too nervous to to put the filter down too low - between the chalk on the Downs and the clay in between we get some mega puddles round here and the last thing I want is the new engine having a drink :lol: I'll be keeping my eye out for any solutions you come up with!

Yeah, the silicone I saw on a youtube video of someone doing a turbo mod and it was blatantly way too soft to clamp to, you need the metal pipes to reinforce the whole setup. But the silicone serves as a good budget size changer and you can get a red or blue one for a little engine bay bling B) .

First off, This isn't meant to come across as derogatory, so please don't take it as such...

How exactly is that thin piece of metal providing any kind of heat shield? Surely if the engine is sucking in air when on full / part open throttle it will just be drawing air from the entire bay - and all the air in that bay is going to be warm. So if anything the heat shield is restricting air flow? Or is it just directing air flow through the filter?

I agree it's not perfect. I doubt it's that restrictive as it only covers a little over half of the filter and there's still room for airflow between the filter and the metal of the shield. I'm sure it's doing a little bit of shielding, but for £12 I don't expect miracles ;) . That's why I'm considering wrapping it with something like this. I might also buy a thin sheet of steel or aluminium and fashion something to bolt on and section off the entire air intake section and then cover that in heat shield. That would allow the filter breathe more air and hopefully keep the temperature of the air around the filter down a little.

Alright Guys,

Well I took the bumper off:

ColdAirFeed01.jpg

Removed the air intake resonator chamber:

ColdAirFeed02.jpg

This was really easy, just undid a 3 10mm bolts that are vey obvious on inspection as the only bolts holding it all in place and then the chamber slots off. Follow this up by wiggling the pipe that goes through to the engine bay, wiggle it loose and the twist it until you find a way to pop it through the hole. Job done.

Then I fitted my cheap as chips cold air feeder pipe like so:

ColdAirFeed04.jpg

Yes that's right, I've zip-tied it through the holes in the chassis :blush:

ColdAirFeed03.jpg

For the bottom bit here, I hose clamped the included attachment for the end of the hose, which has some slots on it, ideal for mounting. Then I positioned the end of the pipe over some slits in the bottom plastic tray and zip-tied it to the slots. It's far from beautiful but should help me get more cold air into the filter once moving.

Also, I've been thinking about my plan to order some £20 worth of silicone reducers and metal extender pipes and what not and I had a brain wave about exhaust reducer connectors. So I'm off now to see if any local exhaust centres can knock me up an 80mm-70mm "reducer" as that would most likely be ideal for getting a more pleasing attachment for my 70mm filter to my 80mm stock inlet pipe.

Ok, so I got this for £10 from a local Exhaust place. They made it to size for me.

AirIntake11.jpg

This allowed for a tighter and more snug fit for the filter on the hole. It also meant the filter is now a few more inches away from the engine which will help a little I guess with the heat issue. It looks cleaner on the whole too.

AirIntake12.jpg

I was also able to place the cold air feed right up under the filter so the air feeds straight into it as opposed just going into the general area. I also cut a little of the under car trim out by the air feed pipe with a stanley knife just to get a little more air flow up there. Nothing direct, as I'm a little paranoid about water, but it should hopefully work a treat.

So final advice is measure for yourself (don't take my measurement as I'm obviously a tard!), pick the biggest filter you think will fit (although I would recommend the one as there's not much room to go any bigger), get a length of tubing (up/down sizer adapter if needed) from a local exhaust place and clamp the lot together. Then remove your resonator, run a pipe down there and cut some indirect holes in the trim around your pipe inlet to improve cold air flow. Job done B) .

Looking good. B)

Maybe something like a K&N drycharger over the filter will help with the worry of water ingress?

I guess there is always a chance of water getting up the intake tube.

Nice job Steve I tried to get mine on the lower grill but no room.
I'm thinking of reducing the pipe to 2" to get it to the grill