What's new

DMF and/or DPF problems on the Honda Diesel

flyerphil

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Honda Accord SE
Hello

I now own a 6th gen petrol, but in recent years have owned three diesel cars: Peugeot 406, Rover 75, Skoda Octavia.

I loved the fuel economy of a diesel - I used to get 60 mpg out of the Skoda, but have been put off them due to the problems with duel mass flywheels (DMF) and diesel particulate filter (DPF) which all modern diesels seem to suffer from. They still have not sorted out the technology and Joe owner has to pay the bill.

My question is: does the Honda diesel suffer from these problems? I know they have manifold problems.

DMF's have been a disaster, and a lot of owners are converting them back to solid flywheels (eg VW and Skodas).

DPF's likewise. Mazda owners are arranging a class action against Mazda.

I quite fancy a 5g Honda diesel. Any advice appreciated.

I think the 7th gen is Euro 4, so no DPF issue. This is also one of the reason I chose Accord rather than A4 or Mazda 6

8th gen has DPF issues yes. Just search the forum. We remove them on a regular basis.

Ok thanks

I made a mistake above - of course I meant to say "I quite fancy a 7th g diesel" - especially the estate model.

So its just the 8th G that has DPF problems.

Is the DMF quite sturdy on the 7th?

The BMW DMF does not seem to give problems - so it is possible of course - but VW and Fords are notorious.

Its just that if the DMF is weak, a simple clutch change turns into a £1000 marathon!

I don't know that much about the DMF , but after my research what I found was that the clutch is the problem not the DMF. So in " 99.9999% " it's just the clutch to be replaced, which costs about 100-150 GBP.

Hope this helps. 7 gen is one good car and it was my choice after very long hesitation of what reliable car to buy.

Cheers

I'm rather dragging up an old topic here. I have an issue with my clutch and reading what dakata says above gives me hope and also makes me wonder if I might be damaging my DMF

A while ago, my clutch started vibrating nosily. I spoke with a friend who is a mechanic and he said, "Get it sorted straight away. Your DMF has gone!"

I took it to my usual mechanic and he said, "Who do you want to get it done? It might go for ages yet! No need to do it until the clutch goes!"

I spoke with my local dealer and they said they would only know if the DMF is a problem if they remove the clutch and inspect it

I have since done about 10,000 miles. The vibrating is constant. There have been a couple of occasions where the clutch has gone straight to the floor with no resistance and without engaging, but both times, I just sorted itself. On one occasion, I started the engine and the clutch really started banging. I switched off the engine, pumped the clutch a few times, re-started the engine and it drove fine. I have done a few thousand miles since

I intend to have the car serviced in November (Main dealer service) and intended to ask the dealer to check the clutch at this time

However, I am just wondering if continuing to drive it runs the risk of doing more damage and perhaps increases the likelihood of needing a new DMF?

My car is a 2006 Accord 2.2 CDTi Tourer with approximately 225K on the clock