What's new

Do 7th Gens Suffer From Rust?

I do need to look into underbody protection products, not so much for my Mk6 but for my Mk3 Aerodeck. He's 30 years old this month and definitely due an upgrade to his original underseal.

I still have a packet of 'wax oil' with the injector, that I would have used on the Scirocco Mk1 Storm, if it had passed the MOT in 1995. It was not to be.

What are they worth these days ?

Not seen a Scirocco Storm in years.

I do see the odd one in re runs of The Sweeney (ITV4), but in real life, they appear to have reached extinction.

Mine was **** brown (resprayed by hand to sky blue with fluorescent yellow stripes) and I loved it depsite the rust all round, including the fuel system. Had a Mk 1 GTI as well that I cut in half and used for spares. Replaced the windscreen once every three months owing to a chassis that flexed when going over speed humps, but still loved it.

Giorgetto Giugiaro was more than often a design desirable purchase in my early days of driving, from the Mk 1 Passat I had for a good few years, to the Lotus Esprit I lost inside a month.

Always liked the DeLorean, and in Weybridge there is an Audi 80 Estate in faded red that I always stop by to view with affection.

Must resist.....

mlkehunt said:
but volvo is really up there as far as paint quality and corrosion resistance goes, every v70 I see in the shop(comparable platform I guess) will have clocked 100k more than my accord but with a fraction of the wheel arch rust

In the last 3 years I had a Volvo 2004 V70T5 and a 2004 V70R both with 170k plus and neither were rusty at all, Just too thirsty for me

How about this on sale for £49995:

anqP2Fx.jpg

Channel Hopper said:
I do see the odd one in re runs of The Sweeney (ITV4), but in real life, they appear to have reached extinction.

Mine was **** brown (resprayed by hand to sky blue with fluorescent yellow stripes) and I loved it depsite the rust all round, including the fuel system. Had a Mk 1 GTI as well that I cut in half and used for spares. Replaced the windscreen once every three months owing to a chassis that flexed when going over speed humps, but still loved it.

Giorgetto Giugiaro was more than often a design desirable purchase in my early days of driving, from the Mk 1 Passat I had for a good few years, to the Lotus Esprit I lost inside a month.

Always liked the DeLorean, and in Weybridge there is an Audi 80 Estate in faded red that I always stop by to view with affection.

Must resist.....
Giugaro designed some unbelievably iconic cars. The only one of his designs I've ever owned was a Subaru SVX. That was a lovely old thing that I wish I still had.

stellamon said:
In the last 3 years I had a Volvo 2004 V70T5 and a 2004 V70R both with 170k plus and neither were rusty at all, Just too thirsty for me

How about this on sale for £49995:

anqP2Fx.jpg
I have a poor track record with Volvos. I like them but they hate me. I never get anything but trouble with them.

Now an Audi, that's more my cup of tea. I've had mainly Hondas since 2011 but in 2012 I had an Audi A6 Avant for a while. I kick myself for selling that one now. And as far as I'm aware rust isn't an issue on these.

I bought a 2004 Audi S4 4.2l V8 in 2015 and loved it for the short time I had it, again it was too thirsty for me so had to sell it on.
No rust on that either.

I have a rusty 2.4 03 s type.
Only cost 600 quid.
So far I have replaced the exhaust. The sump which had rusted through. About to do the power steering pipe.
Very rusty behind the bumpers.
No structural rust.
No rust on the body.
Cheap as chips

My 7th gen tourer has a really rusty rear arch lip which is spreading up the sill so I need to do something about it. The other side only has a couple if rust spots so I don't know why this one side has gone like it.

When I got the car 6 years a go I had to replace the rotten exhaust and bought a new Honda one. It's got a lot of surface rust on it now but I've not tried prodding it with a screwdriver! Overall the rest of the car seems fine.

As per post 2, can you see if the previous owner lived near the coast ?

I also had the job of pulling vehicles out of submerged roads, driveways and garages during the 2015/6 local floods during my recovery days. Many will have had a quick once over/hose down after the insurance companies have paid up, or not.

My 2005 Tourer has a small rust spot on the outer edge of the rear o/s wheel arch. I've tackled it with deruster etc. and it seems to be ok at the moment. However, when the weather picks up next spring I will make a better job of it. My local garage offers a complete underbody spray and I am seriously considering having it done in the next couple of weeks as a protection against an English winter. I've been quoted £150.00 which seems reasonable. I live in a rural area and at this time of year the roads are in a filthy state - mud from tractors and flooded roads being part of it.

@tunstall

If you've just treated the external paintwork on the wheel arch you'll need to get behind it to fully treat the cause. Remove the inner plastic arch shield which acts as a mud trap, clean it and cut out and treat both arch skins if necessary.
I second this notion. PSA time
after two years of putting off dealing with mine, I took the plunge earlier this week to find that the inner arch was rusted through on both sides. the outer arch and fender had only minor surface rust
given the age of the car it has to be a weakness on these cars, sedan included. a culmination of several design flaws. firstly, the fender liner not overlapping the fender to protect from chipping and ingress, secondly, since the liner rests inside the lip, when dirt, salt and water gets in, it proceeds to rub the cruddy mixture against the thin factory primer. erosion turns to corrosion.
thirdly, there is a nice ledge on the same panel bend that the bumper attaches to for all the nasty **** to sit on

it is more typical for the near side to be in tatters because of how salt and dirt deposits on the side of the road, but both sides are equally bad, a dull screwdriver was enough to scuff a hole in it.
3vB5LA7.jpg

outside looked like this
r0ADjRk.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a Honda nut but I agree with Fahad, Honda rust protection is lousy. In Japan salt is banned on their roads and they use a more expensive non-corrosive alternative so it isn't an issue for them. I've tried Hammerite but it doesn't give great results over already rusted areas. The most effective method I've found is applying white marine grease on the exposed metal areas once a year in the Autumn. It's very thick and tenacious because it's designed not to wash off boats underwater and it also contains anti rust chemicals. It protects very well and lasts the full winter.

That’s a great tip might try it on my classic Saab

I bought a Mercedes Sprinter mwb high roof last year to do some camping. Never seen so much rusty bodywork. Spent days grinding off rust patches and re-spraying it.
I bought 2 tins and a 5L tub of this to treat the underside and inside the chassis: https://www.bilthamber.com/dynax-s50
The tins come with a 2 foot long tube that goes into the chassis holes.

I jacked my 6th Gen up today to replace both anti-roll bar linkages and do a coolant flush and found yet another load of rot in the chassis. I can't afford to change cars right now so will have to pay out yet again to get it sorted but first chance I get I'd like to buy something else.

I particularly fancy a 7th Gen Accord Tourer but wondered if they're better than the 6th Gen in the rusting department. Surely they can't be worse. :(

Also what are people's thoughts on the 2.4 petrol ones? Auto or manual?
2.4 auto will put a big smile on your face.
If you drive normally, it's the same fuel economy as the 2.0 petrol
Not a spec of rust on mine.
Even has plastic coated brake pipes to stop them rusting.
Top motor.
Get the ADAS one, if you can find one that is.