What's new

door inner plastic liner

ChrisC78

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen 2.0 LS Auto
I've had the Drivers door card off my car today to investigate a window rattle and attempt my own dent removal!

I had to take off the plastic liner sheet which was stuck down with a phenomenal amount of the stickiest, most evil substance known to man!

I've used white spirit to clean off the goo from the door, but rather than scrape the gunge off the plastic sheet I'd prefer to replace it as it has seen better days.

Does anyone know where to get replacements from? I've searched the forum and ebay etc and not come up with anything - although it would help if I knew the correct name. I'm guessing a non-setting mastic tube would be fine for re-attaching.

Cheers!

Call Holdcroft Honda and ask them or buy sound deadening.

The 'other' UK Honda forum has some useful threads - look up 'plastic door liner'. I think other gen accords (and certainly other cars) use 'double sided sticky tape' a la Blue Peter. I remember reading a similar thread (on here?) where an owner recommended Renault's version of it - anyone help here?

They are called door membranes. And you will need butyl sealant tape to reseal it. It's available from most motor factors. Straight forward job to do. Sometimes it is easier if you use a heat gun to gently warm it to make it stick better. And a tip if you have hairy arms like me cover them up as it is a nightmare to get it off!

Cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

I'll look for some of the butyl sealant tape, that sounds much more user-friendly than mastic. I've since had the passenger door card off and that membrane has been badly refitted in the past - the window has been replaced at some point because there were glass chips inside the door.

I popped into a local (Vertu) Honda dealer today and the membranes are £25 each! I think I'll just make my own out of some thick plastic sheeting. As they gave me a printout of all door parts, I noticed that the external weather strips at the bottom of the window are a reasonable price, so I think I'll just replace them instead of trying to clean and repaint them.

I like the idea of sound deadening as I read an article in a magazine recently about some behind door speakers to eliminate resonance.

Be careful in making your own, those see through membranes hold out water so if you dont make something that can hold that your probably going to get water inside the car and accumulating around the door.