What's new

DPF removal - a few questions

-BA-

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
Hi all

I am considering this option now as I have had my DPF regen'd about 6 or 7 times now and this last time has only lasted about a month. I just have a few questions about having a removal/remap done and would love some feedback from people who have had it for a while now:

1. Do I face any emission MOT issues in the future as a result of the DPF removal?
  2. I often get work done at my local Honda dealer; services, etc. Do approved Honda dealers refuse to work on cars that have had the DPF removed?
  3. Does the DPF removal, remap and BHP increase mean I need to inform my insurance company of changes to my vehicle?
  4. Does the DFP removal increases emissions to a point where the car would move into a different tax bracket?
  5. For those who had this done year or two back; have you experienced any ongoing issues as a result of the removal?
I have put some of these to F6HAD at Premier Tuning but thought I would put them to the wider user group too :)

Appreciate any feedback; thanks :)

1. Not the way the MOT test is at present
2. They won't turn away bread-and-butter work but, depending on any engine issues in the future, they may use that as a pretext to say "not our problem, warranties no longer apply". Best to put the question to the dealer that you go to (but if you don't tell them, they won't know when doing a standard service).
3. Strictly speaking, insurance companies need to be notified of any modification to a car
4. Not the way that VED is presently calculated
5. My car is 7th gen petrol, but no-one has experienced any issues (if they have, I wouldn't see why, and they haven't been on the forum about it)

Note also that the legality of removal is a grey area, it's an argument used by some people against removal, but there is no case that can be used to back up that argument. IMO the DPF is there to dump soot particles on motorways and dual carriageways rather than "anywhere".

People who remove DPFs should be stuck into a room whereby a series of diesel cars are reversed up one by one and puke out their guts into the room one at a time,

Thats what a DPF removal is like to people on the road.

Repeat the exercise on a Petrol car and take some notes for comparison.

toffee_pie said:
People who remove DPFs should be stuck into a room whereby a series of diesel cars are reversed up one by one and puke out their guts into the room one at a time,

Unpleasant as the diesel would be, you'll actually pass out and die if exposed to a high volume of petrol exhaust due to the much higher carbon monoxide content.

toffee_pie said:

I think Eric is getting confused with these

ebe5e7ee6bb0333c13e5a2247ca85de1.jpg

toffee_pie said:

You will still turn pink and die.

Dealt with many in Epping Forest, hose pipe from exhaust pipe into cabin, "Goodbye cruel world"
Done with a diesel they go black and die. petrol saves the under taker a job of cleaning you up.

edgeoftime said:
You will still turn pink and die.

Dealt with many in Epping Forest, hose pipe from exhaust pipe into cabin, "Goodbye cruel world"
Done with a diesel they go black and die. petrol saves the under taker a job of cleaning you up.
John, are you the UK "Dexter" :eek:

Thanks for the input guys; car being worked on as I type this. Filter's gotta go :)

Thinking about asking Fahad to melt down the filter's precious metals and forge out a Honda bonnet badge for me :)

The MOT rules are being changed for next year. If the DPF has been tampered with, it will be a fail. I think it's just a visual check, though.

Rules changed in Feb 2014, they're already doing this.

Changes are to be made to the MOT as part of a revised Roadworthiness Directive which comes into force from May 2017 and new technology is being developed to detect DPF removal.
In a statement obtained by GW, the Department for Transport (DfT) said: “Alternative methods of detecting the presence of particulate filters are under development and we are examining their suitability for use in an MOT.
“Further research is required to ensure potential methods accurately determine a pass or fail.”
The government investigation followed urgent calls for reform with claims that the current MOT is failing to identify many cases of DPF removal because it only includes a ‘visual inspection’ of the hardware, which can be welded back together.
It is an offence, under the Road Vehicles Regulations to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.
The DfT said: “Removal of a DPF will almost invariably result in a contravention of the Regulations, making the vehicle illegal to use on the road.
“Potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van.
“The legislation makes the owner or user of the vehicle primarily responsible for its condition.
“Whether the person who had removed the DPF, or had offered to remove it, had also committed an offence would be a matter for the courts to decide.”
http://garagewire.co.uk/news/mot-changes-to-be-introduced-in-may-following-dpf-investigation/

Not sure what the actual test will be... check if lots of soot emits from the exhaust?

They've been trying to improve the testing regime for a long time, but it will need major investment from the mot stations who are all individual businesses..

I think we will need to wait and see what the new test is, and what the impact will be.

That particular article is from last year and suggesting changes were to be made in May 2017.. and clearly they haven't yet.