What's new

DPF replacement, how much work?

Simkin

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord
So at 134340km the DPF light came up, and i have pretty much decided to replace the DPF whenever the light come on, so i dont have to drive around not knowing when its gonna come on again again next time. I have forced regen it for now, but it will come on again sooner or later.

How much work is it to replace? seems fairly straight forward, removing the heat shield and some nuts and take it straight up?

There will be no issues fitting a non Honda DPF? i see there is alot on eBay, does not matter if i just buy a non name form there? Yes, initialisation of the differential pressure sensor i know about that.

The sensors need to be removed, yes. :)

DO NOT use a non genuine Honda DPF. I've seen lots of issues with aftermarket DPF filters, especially on the Honda cars. They have various precious materials inside them to achieve the trapping of particulates and cheap alternatives are cheap for a reason. They're not made to the same standard and don't have the same quality of materials inside the cartridge.

If you're going to replace then replace with a genuine new Honda item.

And you will need access to a Honda HDS to clear the ash counters and reset the DPF adaptation values, otherwise the system will potentially kill your new DPF sooner rather than later.

Ok thanks for the info, will opt for a genuine one then..

I have access to Honda HDS at work as we have been a Honda dealer before (now only a Service Point).

should i replace the differential pressure sensor also?

F6HAD said:
DO NOT use a non genuine Honda DPF. I've seen lots of issues with aftermarket DPF filters, especially on the Honda cars. They have various precious materials inside them to achieve the trapping of particulates and cheap alternatives are cheap for a reason. They're not made to the same standard and don't have the same quality of materials inside the cartridge.

If you're going to replace then replace with a genuine new Honda item.
Just to add to this, I had a non genuine DPF and if lasted 18 months / 30,000 miles. I let it finish it's regens all the time aswell.

Then one day the light pinged on and I had it force regened which brought me an extra 10 days. So after a phone call to Fahad and a few questions later I was set on having if removed. No problems since last November.

Had MOT last week, print out for smoke test was 0.04 out of 1.50 limit.

^^ that's the best course of action of course, but if someone is set on replacing it then I would rather they do it properly and not end up with more problems long term. No need to replace the sensor unless it's damaged. It's only a sensor afterall, the adaptation values are held in the ecu not in the sensor.

Removing it and have a remap would have been the best of course, but i need to find someone who have done this before on these cars, but there is not a whole lot of these cars sold here in Norway.

I had the DPF light without the Exclamation mark, but i decided to do a forced regen. Even it was without the exclamation mark, its still prone to fail anytime soon? or can i expect a little longer run as long as it was without the exclamation mark?

Every time you run a forced regen you are reducing the life of your turbo. Trust me I've seen this time and time again.

I had a customer from Norway just this week, you can always post your ecu and have someone do the mechanical work.

Forced regen is not something im gonna keep doing, i rather buy a new filter than risk filling my oil with diesel and stress the injectors and turbo.

I noticed my oil level rised a bit after the forced regen yesterday, so gonna change my oil on monday,

I work with Skoda, and DPF issues is not something we see often, the differential pressure sensor is something we have changed alot, but forced regen and replacing filters is something we rareley do. Last time i had a Skoda which needed a DPF replacement had over 300.000km on it.

I know small trips, temperature and such plays a mature role in the DPF, but 134000km and DPF replacement is not actually very impressive. :)

But even if i had the DPF Lamp WITHOUT the exclamation mark, it still means the DPF is on its last breath?

The manual will tell you otherwise but my experience tells me that yes as soon as the light is on even once, it's had it's time.

I guess its its not possible to answer that question :p, but;

From your experience, how many km should i expect out of it from now?

I've seen them fail at 40k miles and generally on average they last around 90k miles. Some people can squeeze a bit more out of them but it's all dependant on driving profile.

What about getting the DPF cleaned - there are companies that will clean the DPF. Somesay you have to remove it and some with the DPF still on the car (how the hell does that work)

Sean

They're a waste of money Sean. I've seen people spend £100's on these treatments and all they do is buy some extra time before the inevitable.

A little update on my car, is that my DPF lamp come on again on monday going to work, so the forced regen lasted three days. This time i had the exclamation mark.

New Original Honda filter costed me around 760 pounds with discount (8000NOK) while removal, EGR OFF and tuning cost twice as much, so i already have a new filter going into the car tomorrow. As i dont know any tuner who have worked on these cars here in Norway i decided to just buy a new filter.

Thankfully its an easy job removing these filters, i only had one stripped bolt on the turbo :)

Egr and DPF was twice as much? I need to move to Norway

Yes, they estimated around 1420 Pounds (15000 NOK) for the job. But my impression was that they did not know these cars at all.

Yes, you can move to Norway, i will be your first costumer :D

After new DPF in installed, reset ash counter and differential pressure sensor? and im good to go?

New filter in place, and i reset the ash counter. On the differential pressure sensor it said only reset if sensor has been replaced (it said nothing about dpf) and i think it said after replacing the sensor it needed a regen, so i did not reset it.

This is with original Honda equipment..

Sorry to post drag this thread up from the past but my wife has just come back and said the DPF light has come on. With what's happing out there it couldn't have happened at a worse time and my wife works in the NHS, so we really need to be mobile. Does anyone have any idea how much this will cost. Its a 2013 estate car with about 65,000 on the clock.

I have been out and it has the DPF light on with the exclamation mark next to it putting it in the "check" category. Is there anything that can be done immediate term to keep it going in the sort term we will probably be downsizing to a Honda Jazz!

Last edited:
Drop me a PM if you would like some help.

I've seen them fail at 40k miles and generally on average they last around 90k miles. Some people can squeeze a bit more out of them but it's all dependant on driving profile.

Im at 147000 miles on my car, and still original DPF.

Something i have never noticed is it actually completing a regeneration cycle, maybe this wouldn't be obvious?

If you have access to a decent diagnostic system you can check the live data to see when it was last regenerated. How do you know the dpf is actually still in there? You’ve had the car since new or nearly new?

I haven't it since new, my only thinking on it still being there is the there is no soot in the exhaust pipe? If the dpf was removed, would there be soot evident in the exhaust pipe?

Ya i suppose cant say for definite then prior to me getting it if was changed, but around 76000 on it when i got it.

Nope they don’t leave any noticeable additional deposits. It could still be in there and it might have been replaced before you bought it.

Nope they don’t leave any noticeable additional deposits. It could still be in there and it might have been replaced before you bought it.
DPF light has come on, Considering what ill do with it.

Removal, if removed is there reprogramming of ecu required,

Reconditioned unit - have seen a few companies offering a cleaning service, some form of ultrasonic cleaning process, dont know how effective, any one have experience of this?
I dont know if this would have it as good as a new unit(website states it can),

Replacement with new - not sure i could justify the price of a new one given the age and value of the car.

In the case of fitting either a reconditioned or new unit, has the dpf light to be reset prior to replacement or can the replacement be fitted and then have the light reset.

Reason i ask this is, i could complete the removal and refit myself, and then bring to someone to reset.