What's new

DPF why dont we get the warning light first!

rhinogolf

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th&8th gen tourers
Well got the dreaded. Dpf light today the car has always had shell v power diesel and new generation Honda oil from HH I was aware of all the pitfalls of the dpf but was ****ed of when the main dpf light came on before the warning dpf light. I have read with interest about this for a while and many cars seem to get the take to main dealer light and no warning light???
Why does the warning light not come on 1st, obviously if it did we would all give the car a good blast so the cleaning process (regeneration) kicks in.

Hi!

Not good English and first reply but here i go...

I think when fuel consumption goes notably higher it tries to clean the DPF filter.

Last week when driving to the shop i noticed that at 30mph my fuel consumption on the dashboard was at 18mgp which is alot more than usual so i thought something is not right.
When parked it was smoking a bit more so i went driving in fourth gear with about 2500-2700rpm, after 10 min of driving the engine twitched (don´t know if correct word) and after that the fuel
consumption went down to it´s normal stage at 56mpg. And i didn´t get any warning lights before or after.

Just my observation. Don´t know if this helps anyone but i thought i´d share.

Thank you for sharing this with us as the more we no about DPF the better

The DPF light will only come on if the car has been unable to complete a regen under normal driving conditions.

The DPF cycle is always running in the background and the ECU is taking readings from the Pressure Differential Sensor and Exhaust Gas Temp sensors to measure the heat and pressure inside the system. Through these readings the ECU can determine how 'full' (at what threshold) the DPF is in and will engage the cleaning process accordingly.

If the car hasn't been run long enough and at the right conditions for the DPF cycle to complete then eventually the ECU will throw the light up and tell the driver that a manual regen is required. It's nothing to panic about, but if you are getting this light on a fairly regular basis then I would suggest you either change your driving style and go for a regular long run at 2500RPM in 4th gear or consider having the DPF removed altogether (something we can offer as you know)

Hope that makes sense.