What's new

Driveshaft noises?

tbourner

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Abarth 595
My noise when turning doesn't come with any freebies such as vibrations at 60mph or knocking through the steering wheel. So could it be a driveshaft?

More info on my other thread, but I'm not sure it's related to the rear brake issue now.

I phoned my local garage today and the monkey answered, said I could take it in tomorrow, I described a noise when turning and he said basically if there's not grease everywhere then it's most likely the driveshaft - not really what I want to hear.

Wait and see what garage says, still sounds to me like its cv joint tho.

Yeah I wanted to go in armed though in case they shaft me (as it were). I've used them quite a bit and they seem honest enough but you never know really with garages. If they come out with "The whole shaft, CV and hub needs changing on these" I wouldn't know any better.

Also, with CVs and shafts etc. is it important to go with OEM parts?

Looks like £220 for a CV and £420 for a shaft? + labour?
Maybe I'll ring HH as well. How much do Honda charge to diagnose a problem like this?

Totally go OEM, it'll pay of in the long run. I believe that the joints can be changed, i think HH change joints. Worth giving them a ring. The other option is to get a second hand shaft. Don't do like me and get a refurbished or motorfactor shaft. Prices look about right for new honda parts.

Yeah I agree with Stephen I got an aftermarket driveshaft on my last car and lived to regret it.

Only thing is if a second hand one came off a diesel it might be fubared too from all the torque going through it.

New CV joint from Honda looks like the best option.

So brace yourself lol. :eek:

Of course, you've got to get it diagnosed first...

I will echo that. If it is a driveshaft problem, DO NOT get aftermarket ones. Did that, regretted it when they were fitted and the vibration changed and got even worse. Got a pair of secondhand genuine ones and the problem was cured. If they go again, new ones for me and have to suffer the cost from Honda. I am still after nearly 3 mths, fighting to get my warrenty claim for said shafts payed out to me.

I don't have any vibration at all though, does that rule out shafts completely?

Am not sure but try swapping the suspect shaft with a known good one and see if its any different. Your dealer will do this (for a handsome fee of course), or if you have a friend prepared to help out, or buy the cheapest second hand one you can. Even if it causes the vibration, if the noise goes away you know thats it.

Booked in with Hendy Honda for a test drive to check it out.
Incidentally, they said they've never ever had a single Accord in with driveshaft problems, they've had 1 Civic Diesel but no Accords! Must be the CFC (Car Forum Curse) at work.

It's been diagnosed by Honda as needing a rear offside caliper (£400!!) and both rear discs (which are "knackered"). £650 with fitting and VAT.

I can't help but think they're bulltishing me though, there's apparently some history of sticking caliper from the previous garage, who "unstuck" it and changed the pads, when they should have changed the whole lot. The discs have that corrosion stuff around the edge (which I didn't think was too bad, but what do I know) and that's causing the donk donk noise on right hand bends, as the weight changes - sounds reasonable, I'm not too bothered about having to change the discs as it probably should have been done with the pads.
It's just this caliper thing I can't get, it definitely sounds like a creaky spring, not a pad rubbing on some corroded disc - plus I just did a 30 min drive on dual carriageway (with noise before and after) and both rear discs were stone cold, OK so I exaggerate; they were too hot to touch for more than a few seconds, but the hubs weren't radiating like I've had before with a sticking brake.

So what do you think? I'm going for a second opinion at my local independent soon.
This rear creak noise, it happens turning or not, and from the slightest hint of braking to quite hard - beyond quite hard it goes away. Usually one creak per rev of the wheel, but sometimes a second creak each rev, as if it's rebounding in some way. The noise itself is a creak, imagine a creaky gate, if you push it REALLY slowly you can hear as the hinge 'snaps' to each new friction point, putting all these 'snaps' together you get the creak - that's EXACTLY like the noise I'm getting - so how can that be a sticking caliper?

That's a big bill...you could maybe talk to your independent about fitting a refurbished one.

Yeah I'm guessing the Honda brakes are pretty rubbish anyway so finding some non-OEM parts and doing it cheaper wouldn't be a problem. I'll see what he reckons though, I'm still hoping it's a handbrake thing and changing the discs or even just taking them off and cleaning it all up would work.

Get a reconditioned caliper around the £50 mark, a non genuine set of decent disks and pads and if your any good with the spanners then DIY it. Thats what I did when I had the problem with a sticking caliper, cant remember off the top of my head but you should be able to do the lot for under £150 easily.

I know what you mean...my brakes make the odd groan and chafe noise, but I'm hoping it will be okay after I fit new discs and pads all round next spring.