What's new

Drumming noise above 45mph

Jim54

Reaction score
Car
2010 Accord idtec
I have a 2010 2.2l diesel accord with all the toys. Its been a great car since new, and I have no intention of changing it yet. However, in the last few months, I have noticed a low drumming sound, at all speeds above 45mph. Its not wheels/wheel bearings, I've done all the usual checks. Its not the engine or transmission: the drumming is more-or-less constant speed whatever the road speed, something about 2 cycles per second beat. I sent it in to my garage: they look after my wife's mercedes, my landrover TD5 and the Honda, so I trust them implicitly, and they couldn't find anything loose, even on the hoist. I've checked all the body panels and bumpers, nothing loose there. The garage did at least confirm that nothing (wheels, running gear) was about to fall off, so I'm still driving it.

I suspect there is a panel somewhere underneath that is fluttering in the airflow, but I can't see anything obvious. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? The car is clean: no crashes, no body damage ever. The tyres are nearing end-of-life, but there is no vibration in the steering and anyway, the drumming is constant speed, so I don't think its tyres.

Any suggestions, or experience of this?

Thanks

Jim

Almost definitely your tyres, especially if they’re a budget brand. Try swapping front to back.

Almost definitely your tyres, especially if they’re a budget brand. Try swapping front to back.
Thanks for the quick response. Can you describe how the noise would come about from tyres, when its a constant frequency (as near as my ears can tell) regardless of whether I'm doing 45mph or 70mph? I'm not criticising your answer, in fact I thought of this question as I was rummaging in the boot for the jack and wheelbrace, and I'm happy to be corrected, but I'd just like to understand wht is going on so I can use the info if it happens again in the future

Cheers

Jim

I have a 8th Gen saloon and my rear bearings went on them. They gave off a low humming sound. Its an easy enough DIY job.

Thanks for the quick response. Can you describe how the noise would come about from tyres, when its a constant frequency (as near as my ears can tell) regardless of whether I'm doing 45mph or 70mph? I'm not criticising your answer, in fact I thought of this question as I was rummaging in the boot for the jack and wheelbrace, and I'm happy to be corrected, but I'd just like to understand wht is going on so I can use the info if it happens again in the future

Cheers

Jim

I don’t think I can give you any clever scientific explanation. I’ve just found from experience that when certain tyres wear down to a certain point, the compound changes and starts to give off this type of droning noise and it doesn’t really change with speed. It probably does change slightly but maybe not obvious to the human ear. Worth swapping the wheels over to eliminate, all it will cost is a bit of time.

Had a noise that was similar which disappeared when rear tyres were changed. The tyres were not cheep, made by conti sport contact 5, so who knows.

Thanks for the comments guys. I bit the bullet and put 4 new boots on, and not only has the drumming gone, I can hear the radio too...Tyres were worse than I thought!