What's new

DTC Codes help!

ozzjim

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 ictdi
Hello

I have a 2008 2.2 ictdi that I really love. 2 days ago the engine maintenance light came on, and 2 codes came up on the dash where the trip computer information usually shows. DTC B1177 pa 50 and DTC B1325 pa 71. I took the car to my local garage who could not find the faults when they hooked it to their diagnostics and so advised me to take it to the main dealer, which I did today. They have done the same, and cannot find the faults on their system either. They cannot be cleared from the dash, when you try the reset method it simply shows DTC NO. I can't see the trip computer any longer as these codes flash all the time. Honda think they are a rain sensor and an issue with voltage from the battery, but on inspection the battery is reporting to be fine.

Anyone had this issue or got any ideas? Honda want to go through the wiring system and try and diagnose a wiring fault, at the cost of around £350.

Please help!

Hi Richard,

This isn't one ive seen before. I was going to suggest booking it in with me for a diagnostic but if Honda haven't been able to diagnose, I will have a similar issue.

It does sound like a wiring issue. Have you had any work done such as windscreen replaced at any point? Does the car have any aftermarket
Electrical devices fitted?

It has parking sensors but I think they were fitted new, I bought it about 4 months back. It came on Friday, then went off again before coming back on and staying on. The strange thing is the dash reads SCS Service, there is a line underneath then the DTC Codes. But when I hold down reset it just flashes DTC No, and does not allow them to be cleared so I can't get the trip computer back up. Honda and Halfords have both had a look and neither been able to diagnose. The codes, Honda say, relate to the battery - which seems common - and a rain sensor, but it does not explain why they won't clear, and don't even show up on the Honda diagnostic tool.

I have read a number of people saying the 1177 code is a sign the battery is on the way out so I was tempted to order one from ebay and replace the battery anyway (I have no idea how old the old one is), but my issue is clearing them to get the info back on the screen when I am driving. Any suggestions appreciated, Honda were not hugely helpful to be honest. Both who have looked at it have said it is mechanically sound.

Honda were also hung up on the ABS light being on, but as soon as I begin to move the light goes off.

That is a strange one. Generally to get dtc's displaying in the gauge display the scs connector would have to be shorted. If you Google scs connector you will find images of what they look like. Have a look at the under dash fuse box and check there isn't one in there.

wookie said:
That is a strange one. Generally to get dtc's displaying in the gauge display the scs connector would have to be shorted. If you Google scs connector you will find images of what they look like. Have a look at the under dash fuse box and check there isn't one in there.

Thanks I will do in the morning. Would replacing it be possible or help do you think?

The scs connector is a service tool to read dtc's. If it has been left in for what ever reason switch the ignition off and unplug it

I will try and have a look today at work if I get time. I am guessing your model code is cn1 or cn2?

Very interesting, let us know if this solves it Richard

I know it may sound obvious but does your car have a rain sensor fitted? I have seen a car which should have a rain sensor fitted with a standard screen and the rain sensor plug tucked up into the headlining. As the second code relates to that. If the sensor is fitted, try disconnecting the battery wait 5 mins then reconnect. Make sure the battery has 12.5 volts or more when reconnecting

Hi, thanks do much for your suggestions. I got in the car and tried to start it, but the battery just gave out. I am away for a few days now. The battery was extensively tested and reported to be fine by Honda literally the day before, despite the 1177 code relating to the battery. I am going to order a new one to arrive when I get back as it's worth the cost of changing it.

I do have a rain sensor and apparently it's not compatible with the windscreen in the car due to the tint. All a bit frustrating really.

Ok it's making a bit more sense now..

Sounds like you have two unrelated issues. I'm sure the new battery will solve it.

Fingers crossed

Have you got a stick on tinted strip across the top of the screen then? Or is it a non genuine screen with defective tinting?

The blue tint is integrated. But I bought it second hand with the screen as was and there is no sign of an accident. I did want to put my own heated screen into it but can't find anyone that sells or fits them.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Any advice on what spec battery I need?

Genuine Honda, call up Holdcroft Honda in Stoke for a member price

Thanks have a genuine Honda on order to arrive when I get home next week. Fingers crossed it helps!

Right then. New battery in after leaving the old one disconnected for a few hours.

The first code, 1177 has cleared and gone. I am left with code 1325 now, that I can't clear. I hold the reset button down, and it just comes up with DTC NO and doesn't let me clear it down.

I can't see where the SCS service connector that we discussed before would be? I can remove the little fuse panel inside the car, do I need to take that dash panel off completely to access it?

I did remove fuse 8 from the main panel, the ECU one, and when removed the DTC codes are not there, but I am guessing driving about without the ECU fuse in is not a good plan. If the 1325 code is a rain sensor code as Honda think, is there any way of disabling it?

Any help/ further advice much appreciated.

I have taken out the rain sensor and now have no codes, but still SCS Service and DTC No which won't clear. In first gear my VSA light, and ABS lights now stay on too, but disappear in second.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1I8XLC7inn3UlMxM2lZVGh1YkZFeGFCeFVJcWV3ekE1SUpn&authuser=0

Will hopefully show how the code is showing on the dash for the rain sensor.

I went for a drive to get my son earlier and the ABS and VSA lights stayed on in first gear, then went off as soon as I changed into second, on both occasions from starting the engine.

If I press the reset button it scrolls to DTC END and if I hold it down it simply says DTC No.

I am guessing there is something wrong with the ECU but would not have the first clue where it is to replace it.

The car drove perfectly fine to work this morning but had the scs service dtc no message all the way it. Could it be the ecu? When I took out the ecu fuse the message disappeared and I got my normal dash information.

Is the rain sensor connected or not? And are the fuses back in? In theory to get the dtc's on the dash like you have you need the scs multiplex tool connected. Have you looked under the dash at the drivers fuse box for anything else plugged in to it?

All fuses are back in yes. Taking out the ecu fuse stops the warning but I guess because it disables the ecu.

I have said off the fuse cover and it just looks like a load of fuses. I can't see where a service connector would go in though?

I will try and post a pic of the shop manual later regarding the scs connector. If there is one plugged in it will be a cable going to a white oval box with a black switch on it. ( well that's the official Honda one anyway)

Where abouts will it be - would taking the dash apart be needed to access it? Is it worth getting one and plugging in to try and clear the codes do you reckon?

wookie said:
I will try and post a pic of the shop manual later regarding the scs connector. If there is one plugged in it will be a cable going to a white oval box with a black switch on it. ( well that's the official Honda one anyway)
saved you the trouble Paul

scs_plug.jpg

hope you didn't mind ;)

ozzjim said:
Where abouts will it be - would taking the dash apart be needed to access it? Is it worth getting one and plugging in to try and clear the codes do you reckon?
that's the fuse-box under the dash (click on the picture to enlarge)

as Paul says, check for anything weird in that socket, even a bit of wire that's been shoved into the socket

no problem, I've been reading this thread, very strange

might be a faulty "gauge control module" or a faulty MICU (Multiplex Integrated Control Unit), but that's a complete guess

Where are they and what is the ease of replacing them? I think the old battery started it all, now the codes are just stuck on the dash. Is there a way to reboot the whole system? I have found parts on ebay like the ecu but then read the car won't start with a new ecu until it has been mapped to the car somehow. It's all a bit frustrating at the moment I have to say. The car is driving perfectly well too!

"gauge control module" is sort of behind the dash, it's part of the dash, and it also acts as an "internal gateway" between two types of networks in the car (the CAN-bus system)

MICU is built into, and behind, the under-dash fuse-box. It acts as the main "gateway" into the CAN-bus system

CAN-bus is the Car Area Network, a comms-bus with about 10 units attached

Thanks... How easy are they to get out and replace? I enjoy getting stuck in as long as I am not going to wreck things. The frustrating thing is the simple removal of the ecu fuse gives me my trip computer information back rather than this annoying scs service dtc code message. The vsa and abs lights staying on until I change into second is pretty odd though.