DTC P2A00 code help please

millar

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord 2.4 ex
Hi there
new to here so if anyone can help please
i have a 05 Honda Accord EX 2.4 saloon, the other day the managment light came on dash so took it to local garage to get put on their machine/computer to see what came up, the code that came up is DTC P2A00 ( 02 sensor circuit range/performance ) (bank 1 sensor 1) now i am no mechanic nor have ever tried to be so im hoping you guys can help me out with a list of could be problems for this code that i should have checked, also just ot put you guys in the picture, a day before this light came on my friend who is a mechanic had changed front passenger upper whishbone and also had taken the strutt off the same side as been getting a weird squeaking noise getting louder for a few months from that side and since in the last couple of months i have had anti roll link and lower wishbone arm all replaced we thought the noise may have been coming from strutt or strutt mounting so he took strutt off and checked the mounting kit ect all seemed fine but whilst taken off the strutt the abs,vsa sensor cable was corroded at rubber where it sits in bracket and broken, so just as a quick fix and only thing lying around we used block connector which worked good enough to take abs and vsa lights off dash again, this sensor cable is away to get fixed asap as there was two codes coming up for that sensor which are DTC13-1 open circuit or short circuit and also DTC 61-1 low battery voltage so we are sure that once that sensor is fixed theses codes will be gone, anyway ends up after stripping all the strutt ect down the squeaking was coming from the auto headlight adjustment arm/sensor which is located beside passenger front wheel and connects to bottom of strutt with a small arm/link, as the squeaking was driving me mad and it was so loud that it turned heads when driving around town, (sounded like jumping up and down on an old bed mattress) we decided to disconnect the arm / link from bottom of strutt and cable tie it out the way until i could get the item replaced and also peace from that horrible noise, all was great until next day and thats when the engine light appeared on the dash, i dont suppose there would be any connection between what we had done and the engine light coming on (DTC P2A00) would there, i take it that this was just a coincidence or is there a chance that with having these other things done something has caused this code to happen, im real sorry about this being so long but i thought it better if i explain everything that happened just before the engine light came on so you guys have a picture of what may have happened,
many thanks for those of you taking the time for reading all of this and hope to hear from you soon
all the best Millar

First off, Your squeaking suspension is the lower ball joint. You do not need to replace the whole lower wishbone as this is needless and expensive. All you need is a £14 ball joint. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACCORD-2-2CTDI-SALOON-03-08-LOWER-SUSPENSION-BALL-JOINT-/300481316805?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6463234617930377689

Are you sure it was the self levelling motor. :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1h9LhCUEu8

Secondly, An 02 sensor is exactly that. An oxygen sensor. AKA a Lambda sensor. Bank 1 will be pointing out which sensor is at fault. find out which Lambda sensor on your exhaust is ******ed and change it.

First off, Your squeaking suspension is the lower ball joint. You do not need to replace the whole lower wishbone as this is needless and expensive. All you need is a £14 ball joint. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACCORD-2-2CTDI-SALOON-03-08-LOWER-SUSPENSION-BALL-JOINT-/300481316805?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6463234617930377689

Are you sure it was the self levelling motor. :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1h9LhCUEu8

Secondly, An 02 sensor is exactly that. An oxygen sensor. AKA a Lambda sensor. Bank 1 will be pointing out which sensor is at fault. find out which Lambda sensor on your exhaust is ******ed and change it.
Hi there and thanks for your reply
yes def the self levelling motor as soon as we disconected the arm from the bottom of the shock the squeaking stopped, the motor arm was quite seized so we gave it a good soaking with duck oil and put it back on and squeaking has gone, the wishbone bushes were on m.o.t advisiory and the top ones were done before m.o.t , as for the 02 sensor is it best to buy from Honda instead of other after market sensor or are there brands that anyone can recommend,, how many sensors will there be on my car at bank1, print out says bank1 sensor1, i take it this is the one before the cat??, also can sensors become clogged/dirty and if so is it poss to clean them?? sorry for all the questions , oh and forgot to add on first post car mileage of my car is 79000
thanks and cheers Millar

Can't really clean the O2 sensor, best just replace. They have a limited life and have a big effect on economy, controlling the mixture of the car.

I would suggest buying genuine Honda but I'm sure you could source a quality aftermarket with the right plug connector. It's probably a Bosch sensor but you'll need to remove first to confirm. It's likely to be in the downpipe (pre cat)

Can't really clean the O2 sensor, best just replace. They have a limited life and have a big effect on economy, controlling the mixture of the car.

I would suggest buying genuine Honda but I'm sure you could source a quality aftermarket with the right plug connector. It's probably a Bosch sensor but you'll need to remove first to confirm. It's likely to be in the downpipe (pre cat)
ok thats brilliant i shall get that seen to, the guy in the garage who used his machine(sorry dont know correct name) to retrieve the codes said that both sensors either side of the cat seemed to be working correctly sending correct messages to each other whether to run rich or leaner (sorry if this doesnt make sense im trying to remember everything the guy said)
now you mention taking out the old sensor first to see what make it is, i take it that once we find out make we should replace faulty one back in until new one arrives ???
many thanks for all you guys replys and help Millar

Just a quick update, i googled the sensor and came across a site in uk which i had to enter my reg number of my car and search for sensor came back as this Lambda Sensor
BOSCH - Ref: 0 258 986 507, price was £58 odds now whats the chances this is correct sensor with correct fitting, link= http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/lambda-sensor/bosch-0-258-986-507_g3922_a0300!258!986!507.html

Well that's a 4 pole sensor. Take out your old one and check it's a 4 pole for a start. Also I think on that part you'll need splice your old plug onto it. Worth a gamble I guess, I bet Honda will want around £200 for a new one.

took sensor out and its a Denso du3 11200-2050 03f06 sensor , well thats whats written on the old one, any ideas where best place to source on e would be please??? . also since i had to take car back yesterday to get it plugged in again to get codes read as on Friday when it was first checked the codes were cleared but by sunday engine light was on again so took it back to have checked again and thats when sensor code came up, as soon as this was done again i drove out the garage and the vsa activation light came on along with the VSA indicator light, at times the VSA indicator light would go off but the VSA activation light stays on, these were not on before getting plugged in to check the codes for engine light , so off to garage today i got the ABS sensor corroded cable fixed and car plugged into computer again , no codes were shown for abs or vsa ect, though the VSA activation light was still on, we thought once id driven the car the light may go out but instead within a few seconds the VSAindicator light came back on and the activation light stays on, aghhhhhhhhhh what could be causing this problem, surely all these things cant all go wrong at the same time, never had any problems ever in over 3 years then all these things at one time, is it possible that something else is faulty and causing all this to happen, anyone any ideas please

For a Denso sensor I would suggest dealer only, but you could check with the aftermarket sensor sellers. These sensors are complex parts with very expensive materials inside them to ensure accurate readings are taken. Using a cheap alternative is likely to give you issues.

Regarding the ABS problems, sounds like the corroded cable you fixed maybe isn't fixed.

For a Denso sensor I would suggest dealer only, but you could check with the aftermarket sensor sellers. These sensors are complex parts with very expensive materials inside them to ensure accurate readings are taken. Using a cheap alternative is likely to give you issues.

Regarding the ABS problems, sounds like the corroded cable you fixed maybe isn't fixed.
thanks for your reply, i have managed to get the correct honda part number for the denso sensor it is 365 31 rbb 003, seems it may only be available through main dealer, cost from main dealer is around £190 inc vat GULP, god i hope VSA isnt knackered as main dealer quote for the unit is £1200 ,

Never known a VSA module to fail on the petrol cars yet mate, sounds like an ABS sensor problem or sensor wiring that's all.

Never known a VSA module to fail on the petrol cars yet mate, sounds like an ABS sensor problem or sensor wiring that's all.
thanks mate for your reply, its weird that the actual ABS light isnt coming on, you mention sensor or wiring does the sensor come with wiring?? or you mean wiring seperate from the sensor, sorry if this is a daft question but i have no knowlege of mechanics what so ever and am going by what ive been told or heard so sorry if im asking too much but im trying to learn as i go along and am trying to suss as much out as possible before spending hundreds on parts that might not be needing replaced as i only have a certain budget then after that its back to pedal power,
cheers again