What's new

Easiest way to change keyfob battery (without breaking retaining screw)

Um4ir

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord i-CDTI
evening all,

while we are approaching the season of goodwill and happiness I thought I'd share a nice tip that I discovered today. Btw I am a complete DIY novice.

I ordered a replacement spare key direct from Honda some years back. The battery inside died last week so I ordered a duracell cr1616 online. However today when it arrived I just couldnt get the screw in the casing to budge. Not wanting to knacker the screw I did a quick search online and found this was a common problem as the screw is threaded in with locktite.
After some more searching I came across the most ingenious solution on a US site to get the screw out.

Put the metal part of the key (blade) into a cup of boiling water for 1 min. Take care to avoid getting any boiling water onto the plastic casing. Remove the key and voila the screw comes out with almost no effort at all :) Apparently the heat generated loosens the glue.

I found the following youtube video to be most information as regards how to replace the battery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ8QhvtkUQk

thanks

apparently from the forums this affects other models apart from the accord. Honda must be having some sleepless nights worrying about the screws coming loose and the key falling to bits while we are driving :)

Some cheeky dealers have been known to charge unsuspecting customers almost the cost of a new key because they (dealer) broke the plastic casing while attempting to open it !

freddofrog said:
Eric, I also remember screws from other cars I've owned

i dont think you have any idea what i am on about tbh.

this 'screw' in question is a ***** of a one that is used to hold the key together and is held in place with thread lock substance.

toffee_pie said:
interesting, i remember this screw from when i had the accord.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_play

freddofrog said:
Eric, I also remember screws from other cars I've owned

blIWPz8.gif

toffee_pie said:
i dont think you have any idea what i am on about tbh.

this 'screw' in question is a ***** of a one that is used to hold the key together and is held in place with thread lock substance.

235.gif

:lol: That's funny Brian.

But I don't get it?! I had to replace the battery on my key fob and had no problem getting it undone. I mean, sure it was a little sticky, but none of this trickery to get it open. Maybe it had already been opened before. Or maybe my screwdriver set it just very good for small jobs?

Stevearcade said:

But I don't get it?! I had to replace the battery on my key fob and had no problem getting it undone. I mean, sure it was a little sticky, but none of this trickery to get it open. Maybe it had already been opened before. Or maybe my screwdriver set it just very good for small jobs?
yep, I thought exactly, totally, precisely the same thing ;)
But I decided to go for the (missed) joke instead :lol:

I don' think Brian even took apart his key fob.

If he did I am sure he would have posted up some scientific engineering marvel about the whole process, down to and including the ratio of cyanoacrylate to achieve the polymerization process.

toffee_pie said:
I don' think Brian even took apart his key fob.
if you read this
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12358-has-anyone-transplanted-an-ecu-from-one-car-to-another/#entry137677

you'll see the picture of my spare pristine key fob in pieces, the picture is here again for you darling
IMAG0390.jpg

toffee_pie said:
If he did I am sure he would have posted up some scientific engineering marvel about the whole process, down to and including the ratio of cyanoacrylate to achieve the polymerization process.
92QFQYA.jpg

science-of-adhesive-technology.jpg

Looking_for_eric_ver2.jpg

It maybe the case with brand new keys, being opened for the first time, as I bought the spare and it was running on the original panasonic battery for the last 4.5 years.

If you do a quick google search it appears to be a common problem both here and in the States. This was mentioned on the forum a few years back for those who remember

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4325-battery-keyfob-stuck-screw/

Stevearcade said: