What's new

Eco mania

Kris81

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord executive K24
Hi guys, I might be starting a new job which is a 276 mile trip twice a week, from the north east to reading non stop.
Ive got a cl9 at the minute which I love but my question is what sort of MPG could I get out of a diesel accord?
I currently get between 32 to 36 out of my 2.4 petrol on my 14 mile trip to work now. Thanks guys!

Truth be told the accord isnt the most economical diesel engine out there ..... Expect low 40s normal driving but mid 50s motorway ... The difference is in how you can drive .... Ie you can be a bit more heavy with the right foot and still get decent mpg

Depends on the speed and the traffic condition mate.

I just had a very long round trip last week, which involved with half and half of motorway, and normal A + B roads + urban.

Done 670 miles when the trip computer shown 0 miles to go. Then I drove a further of 18 miles to the nearest fueling station and refuel with 62.3L ( to the top of the chute, almost spill :p )

I noticed that the best fuel consumption is anything below 60mph, motorway speed is a killer :eek:

My routes (mix of motorway, A road and city congestion) and driving style (mostly sedate) returns 48.1mpg averaged throughout my 50K mile ownership, measured at the pump (I don't have a trip computer, but spreadsheet every fill-up).

Perhaps the more pertinent figure is between 11 and 13 pence per mile. This is a fuel only cost and neglects tyres, tax and servicing (which costs buttons as I do my own). The debate about petrol being cheaper than diesel but returning fewer MPG will rage on but as far as I'm concerned my motoring is dirt cheap considering the overall package I get with the Accord.

I do a similar journey each week for work from Durham to Norwich although mine might have a few more A roads stuck behind tractors. My overall average each week is just over 50mpg but its the local running around each week that hurts my mpg.
Sitting at 50-60mph if you can stand the boredom will push the mpg to over 60mpg

I ***ume the facelift I ctdi with 6 speed and not 5 is better on fuel economy especially for motorway driving. But I'm not sure on stats and whether the difference is massive, I would be interested to know if anyone has owned both?

Managed to get over 50mpg for the first time recently when driving with my girlfriends family in the car so didn't go much over 70mph (and had to do long stints at 50mph on the M25). At my normal motorway speed of 80-90mph I see mid 40s. Around town is low to mid 40s as well. That's in my pre facelift (ie 5 speed) tourer.

The 5 speed is really long geared so the difference between 5th in that and 6th in the facelift probably isn't much. I have owned both but my pre facelift wasn't in the best of health so not really a fair comparison. If I was buying again I would definitely go for a facelift its s much better car overall

Looking back now I wish I spent a bit more and got a facelift tourer ,just seems to be an improvement on an already good car.